Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedUpFed25x  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:58:37 AM(UTC)
FedUpFed25x

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I spent almost 30 years as a civilian working for one of the military services, and being a military spouse for quite some time. I felt I was fully integrated into the military culture, including PCSing to different locations for my job. Most of my adult working life was on military installations working side by side with servicemembers and other career civilians.

Before I retired one of the things I was unsure of was how much I might miss the military camaraderie and culture. I really enjoyed my career and the great people I got to work with and friends I made, until the last assignment which was a nightmare and prompted me to retire.

I've been retired for a few years now to an area with no military presence. I gotta say, somewhat sadly … I am not missing it all that much. I still keep in touch with some military pals but not many. When we occasionally get together I enjoy talking about military stuff but it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis. It's strange to think I spent decades in a culture and now I really don't miss it like I thought I would. Maybe that shows it was indeed the right time to retire?

Are there others out there who just didn't miss it as much as they thought they would? Is it just retirement in general? Interested to hear others perspectives.
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:28:36 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1001 time(s) in 845 post(s)
I retired from the military. Sometimes I do miss it, but then I think about all the nonsense I had to put up with and the feeling goes away :)
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Nittany Lioness  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 11:28:52 AM(UTC)
Nittany Lioness

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I retired last year after 34 years from a high level position. My last act was to fire an intransigent malcontent which made me realize I was done, fun meter pegged. I do not miss working one iota. But I miss the comeraderie, mission focus etc but now i wake up when I feel like it and my time is mine. We are traveling extensively and have become snowbirds. I highly recommend retiring when eligible for anyone who can afford it. As they say life is too short...
gagirl62  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:34:21 AM(UTC)
gagirl62

I’m in the process of retiring after being an Army brat, army spouse and army mom while a DAC. These are the same thoughts I have as well. I’ve been considering volunteering at the post to stay in the loop. My retired army hubby will work another year there as a contractor. We both agree it’s not the same Army of yesteryear. It’s has been my identity for 58 years. Son recently completed his first enlistment and got out, daughter in law gets out next year. Both had a taste and that’s enough for them they are pursuing higher ed. Our kids were never true army brats because we retired when they were born,
Guess we need to focus on finding a new life!
gagirl62  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:38:05 AM(UTC)
gagirl62

I’m in the process of retiring after being an Army brat, army spouse and army mom while a DAC. These are the same thoughts I have as well. I’ve been considering volunteering at the post to stay in the loop. My retired army hubby will work another year there as a contractor. We both agree it’s not the same Army of yesteryear. It’s has been my identity for 58 years. Son recently completed his first enlistment and got out, daughter in law gets out next year. Both had a taste and that’s enough for them they are pursuing higher ed. Our kids were never true army brats because we retired when they were born,
Guess we need to focus on finding a new life!
As a previous person posted, my fun meter pegged out awhile ago. Was supposed to get a gs 13 and an outsider was hired to lead a new dept I set up by direction of my Chief Of staff, who left and an incompetent person got the job. Work was hell, eeos filed, she left and went back to the VA. Whole thing fell apart...new leaders came in with paranoid character, wasn’t allowed to do my job. Fast forward, new leaders who don’t understand my job.. too much stress and no support. Time to go.
Endless Summer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:47:36 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 264 time(s) in 226 post(s)
I'd just like to weigh in.

I have not enjoyed my time as a DoD civilian, but there's more out there than just the DoD. I really enjoyed the time I spent working for other, non-DoD agencies.

I'll never consider another DoD position but I'm looking forward to my next civilian job.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed