Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sugarplum  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:37:45 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

So,I work part time in a school district and receive partial OWCP. Due to COVID schools are closed and have been since March 16.
I have not applied for my state's unemployment yet, as I am getting by on OWCP, and just don't want to jump thru hoops. I also received the $1200 stimulus payment.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of applying for an unemployment benefit as an OWCP recipient?

Thanks.
Prevail in good cheer!
Polar Bear  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:46:43 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If you qualify (I have no idea if you do), but if you do you're eligible for the 600 extra a week from the federal govt. It's done through your state and you have to be eligible for state UI and collect at least one dollar per week based on your state's rules if you are only partially unemployed. I tried telling my mom this because she still qualifies for partial UI due to a decrease of work hours in what is effectively a second job, but she has never filed for UI before and won't do it.

(BTW, this is why some people are angry about 'being essential')
thanks 1 user thanked Polar Bear for this useful post.
sugarplum on 5/7/2020(UTC)
OBE17  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 2:21:34 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Rule Number 1: Always apply! Let them figure-out whether or not you are eligible.
Your attitude of "I'm getting-by..." while noble, is self-effacing. Each new Congress sees these OWCP "shills" testifying before the House that many of the claimants on OWCP use their benefits for creature comforts not necessary for survival.

They say that most IWs (especially women) have spouses who make "good money" and these checks simply go toward luxuries of life in violation of the spirit of the law set forth by FECA. This depletes the government "war-chest" and makes it more difficult for them to give billions of dollars to puppet regimes abroad!

I'm not saying they should pay benefits to lay-abouts or malingerers but in most cases, the exact opposite is the norm; it's them trying to cut off the benefits of legitimate IWs. They like to use as an arguing point, "Do you know how much this person will cost the government in the course of a lifetime?" To that I say, "First give me a hint: Is it more than a Tomohawk Missile?"
thanks 1 user thanked OBE17 for this useful post.
sugarplum on 5/7/2020(UTC)
sugarplum  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 3:05:28 AM(UTC)

Thank you both. I got started on the process, and while I don't qualify for the usual UI because my work is part-time and falls below the threshold for benefits, I may qualify under the special circumstances for COVID. However, the website for that process is not yet operational! I will keep checking in, and yes, I will apply.
Prevail in good cheer!
sugarplum  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:29:24 AM(UTC)

Hi, again.

I called my CE, who told me I would have to report UI income. As to would my compensation be offset, she said to call the national office, which—quel surprise—referred me back to my district office re: reporting, to which I already had an answer, and to my state office re: would my OWCP be offset, which makes no damn sense to me. The customer service rep was a tad testy, and considering I have been on hold for 40 minutes, well, understandable. Anyway, I'm guessing that UI would be offset, and I'm not messing with my OWCP, so I have my answer: not filing. If OWCP puts out general info, I will pay attention, but for now, I'm chilling, to say nothing of my states system not up and running yet.

heh, I was a programmer and a good one. I wish I could work on this!
Prevail in good cheer!
GWPDA  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 8:28:15 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 526 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Keep in mind two things - unemployment insurance is exactly that - insurance against unemployment. It is not some kind of charity, any more than Social Security is. If you are eligible, apply and take it. Your taxes paid for the insurance. Second, for the last ten years, UI has been taxed as compensation. The chances are good however that because you're not working, you're not earning much and thus won't be taxed, much.

If you qualify, take it.
TheRealOrange  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 8:42:36 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sugarplum Go to Quoted Post
So,I work part time in a school district and receive partial OWCP. Due to COVID schools are closed and have been since March 16. I have not applied for my state's unemployment yet, as I am getting by on OWCP, and just don't want to jump thru hoops. I also received the $1200 stimulus payment. Any opinions on the pros and cons of applying for an unemployment benefit as an OWCP recipient?

Thanks.

It sounds like you are receiving workers' comp temporary partial disability benefits. In many/most states, you can receive temporary partial disability benefits if you are temporarily unable to return to your regular job duties but can do some light-duty work. State laws will vary on the question of whether you are able to collect unemployment benefits at the same time you’re receiving workers’ comp for temporary partial disability. In general, you should be eligible for unemployment as long as you’re available and looking for a job that you can do with your limitations. However, state laws will have methods for limiting the money you get from "double-dipping.” Some states reduce/offset the workers’ comp benefits by the amount of unemployment benefits you receive. Based on your later post, it sounds like your state may do this. Other states may put a limit on the combined total so that you don’t receive more than you earned before your injury. Only you can determine if the likely result is worth the effort.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed