Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pumas1234  
#261 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:16:01 PM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups: Guests
Joined: 2/6/2014(UTC)
Posts: 33,037

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
So when are they going to rescind our offers?
XFed77  
#262 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:25:00 PM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 261
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 70 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
the only positive about this is that it really is a great learning experience. I have never been involved in a hiring process like this, and it has been a nightmare since last summer, while only getting worse as time has gone on. I do know I want to work for the fed gov., but will only be applying to agencies funded by taxpayer money from here on out. Regardless of your politics, this agency is being held hostage by the administration. Hopefully it works out but like I said, the next time you get a TO from the gov, it cant be worse than this!


Again, leave the politics out of it. It muddies the waters. Bottom line is the agency isn't going to be hiring for a long time. It's important that people reading this forum understand that. If you just want a federal job, you have plenty of other options. If you want to work for USCIS specifically, be prepared to wait years. And, more importantly, have a plan B.


Sometimes it's hard for people to leave politics out if they have average intelligence/awareness, because you realize that the actions of an administration towards the Agency that you want to work in are detrimental to it's existence and your job prospects. Taking funds from the Agency that generates the funds, the Immigration Benefits granting Agency, USCIS, and telling it that it's budget has constraints, to fund the Immigration Enforcement agencies that don't generate their funds, for political reasons, leaves you with a bad taste and at the least, resentment. It's like adding insult to injury. The aforementioned enforcement agencies increased their hiring while USCIS had a freeze. Like when you work for a private company and they get a new employee that the boss likes, and they decrease your hours, tell you they have financial challenges, but they give the hours to the other person, even though you are the one making the company more money.

You can't control how people feel and can't order them to just shut up and take it. People vent.



Again, to those reading this forum and hoping for the hiring freeze to end or to be hired anytime soon by the agency: Neither is going to happen. Ignore the political venting that doesn't matter when it comes to the reality of the situation.


I don't know what's your purpose for posting here, but people will still post whatever they think and feel about the USCIS situation. You're not in control of this forum. Whether you like it or not, this is an open forum. If people want to have hope that USCIS is going to hire, let them be. You're not a policymaker or a higher up. And if you were, you could still not shut people down. Not gonna happen. It's not your forum, it's public.

You just have opinions, that's it. What the current administration has done with USCIS is terrible and it affects people. You can't hide that, it's a fact. The more you want people to shut up about because it doesn't suit your political ideology, the more they're gonna post about it. This has been going on for months and I'm pretty sure it's gonna continue...

daddythedonkey  
#263 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:27:19 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
So when are they going to rescind our offers?


You are angry about how USCIS handled the hiring freeze. I get it. That began long before the Wuhan pandemic. Now the agency has publicly stated that THEY CANNOT MAKE PAYROLL FOR CURRENT EMPLOYEES. Rescinding offers they made before the hiring freeze are the last of their concerns. This is what I'm trying to get across. If you had an interview, if they asked for references, if you took a drug test, if they made you an offer of employment, understand: THEY ARE ON THE VERGE OF LAYOFFS. If current employees straight-up quit, the agency is not going to replace them. They are in dire straits.
Pumas1234  
#264 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:31:15 PM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups: Guests
Joined: 2/6/2014(UTC)
Posts: 33,037

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
ok, yeah i get it. maybe realize i was asking a legit question? We are all on here because we got an offer, I would say my question is more relevant than you typing in all caps and repeating yourself over and over.
daddythedonkey  
#265 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:48:59 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
ok, yeah i get it. maybe realize i was asking a legit question? We are all on here because we got an offer, I would say my question is more relevant than you typing in all caps and repeating yourself over and over.


The agency is about to layoff current employees and you're asking when they will rescind your job offer. They are hoping for a federal bailout to MAINTAIN CURRENT PAYROLL. I know you don't like all caps, but I'm trying to get an obvious point across. They have much bigger issues than rescinding job offers.

Imagine if you owned a small business. You interviewed a potential employee. You told him that you wanted to hire him and would call him back with further details. Before you could do that, your business was put in a position where you had to layoff current employees. At that point, would you even give a second thought about the guy you interviewed? Of course not. And if that interviewee called you repeatedly for an update, would you bother replying? Wouldn't blame you if you had better things to do.
daddythedonkey  
#266 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:56:16 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
the only positive about this is that it really is a great learning experience. I have never been involved in a hiring process like this, and it has been a nightmare since last summer, while only getting worse as time has gone on. I do know I want to work for the fed gov., but will only be applying to agencies funded by taxpayer money from here on out. Regardless of your politics, this agency is being held hostage by the administration. Hopefully it works out but like I said, the next time you get a TO from the gov, it cant be worse than this!


Again, leave the politics out of it. It muddies the waters. Bottom line is the agency isn't going to be hiring for a long time. It's important that people reading this forum understand that. If you just want a federal job, you have plenty of other options. If you want to work for USCIS specifically, be prepared to wait years. And, more importantly, have a plan B.


Sometimes it's hard for people to leave politics out if they have average intelligence/awareness, because you realize that the actions of an administration towards the Agency that you want to work in are detrimental to it's existence and your job prospects. Taking funds from the Agency that generates the funds, the Immigration Benefits granting Agency, USCIS, and telling it that it's budget has constraints, to fund the Immigration Enforcement agencies that don't generate their funds, for political reasons, leaves you with a bad taste and at the least, resentment. It's like adding insult to injury. The aforementioned enforcement agencies increased their hiring while USCIS had a freeze. Like when you work for a private company and they get a new employee that the boss likes, and they decrease your hours, tell you they have financial challenges, but they give the hours to the other person, even though you are the one making the company more money.

You can't control how people feel and can't order them to just shut up and take it. People vent.



Again, to those reading this forum and hoping for the hiring freeze to end or to be hired anytime soon by the agency: Neither is going to happen. Ignore the political venting that doesn't matter when it comes to the reality of the situation.


I don't know what's your purpose for posting here, but people will still post whatever they think and feel about the USCIS situation. You're not in control of this forum. Whether you like it or not, this is an open forum. If people want to have hope that USCIS is going to hire, let them be. You're not a policymaker or a higher up. And if you were, you could still not shut people down. Not gonna happen. It's not your forum, it's public.

You just have opinions, that's it. What the current administration has done with USCIS is terrible and it affects people. You can't hide that, it's a fact. The more you want people to shut up about because it doesn't suit your political ideology, the more they're gonna post about it. This has been going on for months and I'm pretty sure it's gonna continue...



My purpose is to give a realistic perspective of the hiring freeze. The agency is asking for a bailout to maintain current payroll. The hiring freeze isn't ending at the end of the fiscal year or anytime soon after that. If you want to take this as an opinion, best of luck.
daddythedonkey  
#267 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 3:07:03 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
I stopped smoking weed for this?


Your background check will include questions of drug use. If you just stopped smoking weed to get hired, then you shouldn't be hired at all.


stopped in early 2019. been well over a year. thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated.


You should delete these posts about your drug use.
XFed77  
#268 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:02:18 AM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 261
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 70 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
I stopped smoking weed for this?


Your background check will include questions of drug use. If you just stopped smoking weed to get hired, then you shouldn't be hired at all.


stopped in early 2019. been well over a year. thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated.


You should delete these posts about your drug use.


daddythedonkey, you seem like a TROLL from the Trump Administration. You have appeared here in the last couple of days repeating the same Trumpian messages. You are calling COVID-19: "Fuhan" and blaming it for All of USCIS's problems, like a Trump political ad, even though the hiring freeze started WAY BEFORE we knew of COVID-19. You are trying to spread the message that it is not the Trump Administration's fault, that it's COVID-19's fault, and that it will take YEARS for the financial issues to be over. We don't even know year to year what's going to happen and you are predicting "years"; pretty exaggerated. You're trying to discourage people who are in the application process and Agency workers in general, spreading negative information. I guarantee you, that if USCIS's funds were not diverted to ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol, it would be fine, like it had been before all this was done. It's like you're getting paid or something. You don't even work for USCIS, since you said you wouldn't work for them even if they paid "Double".

So, who do you work for and why are you here???


thanks 2 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/18/2020(UTC), Mike in VT on 5/18/2020(UTC)
ISOapplicant  
#269 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:03:13 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/5/2015(UTC)
Posts: 22
United States

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MGG Go to Quoted Post
Forget about the freeze. We are in RIF territory now (check email sent Friday evening by the Director).



Yuppers. It's sad that a once fiscally-sound agency is now in trouble. The biggest reason the agency is in a potential RIF status is mostly due to funds being taken from USCIS and put into ICE/CBP. COVID-19 didn't help the situation.

If we do go to a RIF/furloughed status (which is why I think this 'warning shot' went out), hiring would be on a long-term freeze, those with 15 years or more(?) would be offered buy-outs, the RIF would directly affect those with <3 years. Once things get rolling again with the economy, those who were RIF'd could potentially be come back. Congress and USCIS needs to strongly look at charging for humanitarian-based petitions and applications (this was vaguely referred to in the announcement).

Why do you think they would stop at the last three years? If filings are down 61%, then wouldn't they be looking to shed roughly half the workforce? I got hired five years ago and I'm updating my resume, but if there's a reason to not be worried I'd love to hear it.
thanks 1 user thanked ISOapplicant for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/18/2020(UTC)
@TheBADGUY  
#270 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:06:13 AM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/15/2018(UTC)
Posts: 51
United States
Location: Los Angeles

Thanks: 74 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The below message was sent out on Friday from the Deputy Director of Policy for USCIS. This is unfortunate to read, I truly hope there is a turn around for USCIS.


"Dear Colleagues,

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had a significant impact on our agency's financial outlook. Since the declaration of the national emergency, application and petition receipts dropped to half their previous levels and with them, agency revenue that keeps our doors open.

To ensure continued and uninterrupted operations, USCIS is seeking from Congress $1.2 billion to address our budget shortfall. This will provide funding for payroll and mission critical general expenses for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 such as rent and contracts to maintain operations. It will also provide carryover funding to ensure sufficient resources are available at the start of FY 2021 to maintain operations and mitigate the impact of decreased receipts due to COVID-19. Importantly, our proposal does not add to the deficit and protects American taxpayers by adding a 10% surcharge to application fees to pay back the U.S. Treasury.

As a fee-funded agency, USCIS has been directly impacted by the global pandemic. This is in stark contrast to congressionally appropriated agencies, whose budgets are not impacted by fluctuations in revenue based on application and petition receipt levels. To address our fiscal situation, we have taken measures to tighten our budget across the board while upholding our mission during this uncertain time. We understand that these measures have been felt acutely by all program offices and directorates. We are also expeditiously working to finalize the 2019/2020 fee rule to help recover our operational costs, but even with higher fees, once implemented, USCIS will still face resource challenges as long as application and petition receipts continue at current levels. Unfortunately, the measures we have taken are not enough and congressional intervention is needed at this time.

Given the unprecedented nature of the global pandemic, there is no historical data that can be used to project the scope and duration of COVID-19's impact on USCIS' revenue. USCIS will exhaust its funding this summer, and without congressional intervention, we risk not being able to make payroll and will have to take drastic actions to keep the agency afloat. We will be working closely with Congress and urging them to take swift action so USCIS can continue to administer our nation's lawful immigration system, safeguard the homeland, and protect the American people.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted each of us and we understand this is already a challenging time both personally and professionally. USCIS senior leadership is tirelessly working to mitigate our agency's financial situation and we will continue to advocate on behalf of our agency, workforce, and mission. We thank you for your continued resiliency and ability to adapt to change under these constantly evolving circumstances, and for carrying out our mission every day."
thanks 2 users thanked @TheBADGUY for this useful post.
jaxberlin on 5/18/2020(UTC), G0271 on 5/18/2020(UTC)
XFed77  
#271 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:13:16 AM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 261
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 70 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: @TheBADGUY Go to Quoted Post
The below message was sent out on Friday from the Deputy Director of Policy for USCIS. This is unfortunate to read, I truly hope there is a turn around for USCIS.


"Dear Colleagues,

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had a significant impact on our agency's financial outlook. Since the declaration of the national emergency, application and petition receipts dropped to half their previous levels and with them, agency revenue that keeps our doors open.

To ensure continued and uninterrupted operations, USCIS is seeking from Congress $1.2 billion to address our budget shortfall. This will provide funding for payroll and mission critical general expenses for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 such as rent and contracts to maintain operations. It will also provide carryover funding to ensure sufficient resources are available at the start of FY 2021 to maintain operations and mitigate the impact of decreased receipts due to COVID-19. Importantly, our proposal does not add to the deficit and protects American taxpayers by adding a 10% surcharge to application fees to pay back the U.S. Treasury.

As a fee-funded agency, USCIS has been directly impacted by the global pandemic. This is in stark contrast to congressionally appropriated agencies, whose budgets are not impacted by fluctuations in revenue based on application and petition receipt levels. To address our fiscal situation, we have taken measures to tighten our budget across the board while upholding our mission during this uncertain time. We understand that these measures have been felt acutely by all program offices and directorates. We are also expeditiously working to finalize the 2019/2020 fee rule to help recover our operational costs, but even with higher fees, once implemented, USCIS will still face resource challenges as long as application and petition receipts continue at current levels. Unfortunately, the measures we have taken are not enough and congressional intervention is needed at this time.

Given the unprecedented nature of the global pandemic, there is no historical data that can be used to project the scope and duration of COVID-19's impact on USCIS' revenue. USCIS will exhaust its funding this summer, and without congressional intervention, we risk not being able to make payroll and will have to take drastic actions to keep the agency afloat. We will be working closely with Congress and urging them to take swift action so USCIS can continue to administer our nation's lawful immigration system, safeguard the homeland, and protect the American people.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted each of us and we understand this is already a challenging time both personally and professionally. USCIS senior leadership is tirelessly working to mitigate our agency's financial situation and we will continue to advocate on behalf of our agency, workforce, and mission. We thank you for your continued resiliency and ability to adapt to change under these constantly evolving circumstances, and for carrying out our mission every day."


Good luck getting a $1.2 Billion approval from the same people who are diverting funds from USCIS to CBP, ICE, and Border Patrol. The House might approve it, but it will die in the Senate or Trump won't sign it, unless they get some type of political pressure or are outed for improper use/diversion of funds... which seems to happen a lot in this Administration.

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/18/2020(UTC)
daddythedonkey  
#272 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:45:50 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
I stopped smoking weed for this?


Your background check will include questions of drug use. If you just stopped smoking weed to get hired, then you shouldn't be hired at all.


stopped in early 2019. been well over a year. thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated.


You should delete these posts about your drug use.


daddythedonkey, you seem like a TROLL from the Trump Administration. You have appeared here in the last couple of days repeating the same Trumpian messages. You are calling COVID-19: "Fuhan" and blaming it for All of USCIS's problems, like a Trump political ad, even though the hiring freeze started WAY BEFORE we knew of COVID-19. You are trying to spread the message that it is not the Trump Administration's fault, that it's COVID-19's fault, and that it will take YEARS for the financial issues to be over. We don't even know year to year what's going to happen and you are predicting "years"; pretty exaggerated. You're trying to discourage people who are in the application process and Agency workers in general, spreading negative information. I guarantee you, that if USCIS's funds were not diverted to ICE, CBP, and the Border Patrol, it would be fine, like it had been before all this was done. It's like you're getting paid or something. You don't even work for USCIS, since you said you wouldn't work for them even if they paid "Double".

So, who do you work for and why are you here???




Read the email from the agency's Deputy Director of Policy that someone else posted.
Mike in VT  
#273 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:48:17 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MGG Go to Quoted Post
Forget about the freeze. We are in RIF territory now (check email sent Friday evening by the Director).



Yuppers. It's sad that a once fiscally-sound agency is now in trouble. The biggest reason the agency is in a potential RIF status is mostly due to funds being taken from USCIS and put into ICE/CBP. COVID-19 didn't help the situation.

If we do go to a RIF/furloughed status (which is why I think this 'warning shot' went out), hiring would be on a long-term freeze, those with 15 years or more(?) would be offered buy-outs, the RIF would directly affect those with <3 years. Once things get rolling again with the economy, those who were RIF'd could potentially be come back. Congress and USCIS needs to strongly look at charging for humanitarian-based petitions and applications (this was vaguely referred to in the announcement).

Why do you think they would stop at the last three years? If filings are down 61%, then wouldn't they be looking to shed roughly half the workforce? I got hired five years ago and I'm updating my resume, but if there's a reason to not be worried I'd love to hear it.


I didn't say they'd stop at 3 years. 3 years is the tenure benchmark.

Pumas1234  
#274 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:54:58 AM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups: Guests
Joined: 2/6/2014(UTC)
Posts: 33,037

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
They should just give the agency congressional funding in 2021. Or, if Trump is re-elected just scrap the agency and transfer everyone to ICE/CBP.
daddythedonkey  
#275 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:58:07 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MGG Go to Quoted Post
Forget about the freeze. We are in RIF territory now (check email sent Friday evening by the Director).



Yuppers. It's sad that a once fiscally-sound agency is now in trouble. The biggest reason the agency is in a potential RIF status is mostly due to funds being taken from USCIS and put into ICE/CBP. COVID-19 didn't help the situation.

If we do go to a RIF/furloughed status (which is why I think this 'warning shot' went out), hiring would be on a long-term freeze, those with 15 years or more(?) would be offered buy-outs, the RIF would directly affect those with <3 years. Once things get rolling again with the economy, those who were RIF'd could potentially be come back. Congress and USCIS needs to strongly look at charging for humanitarian-based petitions and applications (this was vaguely referred to in the announcement).

Why do you think they would stop at the last three years? If filings are down 61%, then wouldn't they be looking to shed roughly half the workforce? I got hired five years ago and I'm updating my resume, but if there's a reason to not be worried I'd love to hear it.


The 10% surcharge isn't going to help with future filings either. 3 years of federal service gets you tenure, so I don't think anyone without it can fight the furlough. I agree with you, though. If push comes to shove, I don't know that tenure could stop it entirely. Maybe Mike in VT can answer that. I know people don't like hearing the reality of the situation, but updating your resume is the very least you should be doing. Start applying to other agencies.
daddythedonkey  
#276 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:04:51 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: @TheBADGUY Go to Quoted Post
The below message was sent out on Friday from the Deputy Director of Policy for USCIS. This is unfortunate to read, I truly hope there is a turn around for USCIS.


"Dear Colleagues,

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had a significant impact on our agency's financial outlook. Since the declaration of the national emergency, application and petition receipts dropped to half their previous levels and with them, agency revenue that keeps our doors open.

To ensure continued and uninterrupted operations, USCIS is seeking from Congress $1.2 billion to address our budget shortfall. This will provide funding for payroll and mission critical general expenses for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 such as rent and contracts to maintain operations. It will also provide carryover funding to ensure sufficient resources are available at the start of FY 2021 to maintain operations and mitigate the impact of decreased receipts due to COVID-19. Importantly, our proposal does not add to the deficit and protects American taxpayers by adding a 10% surcharge to application fees to pay back the U.S. Treasury.

As a fee-funded agency, USCIS has been directly impacted by the global pandemic. This is in stark contrast to congressionally appropriated agencies, whose budgets are not impacted by fluctuations in revenue based on application and petition receipt levels. To address our fiscal situation, we have taken measures to tighten our budget across the board while upholding our mission during this uncertain time. We understand that these measures have been felt acutely by all program offices and directorates. We are also expeditiously working to finalize the 2019/2020 fee rule to help recover our operational costs, but even with higher fees, once implemented, USCIS will still face resource challenges as long as application and petition receipts continue at current levels. Unfortunately, the measures we have taken are not enough and congressional intervention is needed at this time.

Given the unprecedented nature of the global pandemic, there is no historical data that can be used to project the scope and duration of COVID-19's impact on USCIS' revenue. USCIS will exhaust its funding this summer, and without congressional intervention, we risk not being able to make payroll and will have to take drastic actions to keep the agency afloat. We will be working closely with Congress and urging them to take swift action so USCIS can continue to administer our nation's lawful immigration system, safeguard the homeland, and protect the American people.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted each of us and we understand this is already a challenging time both personally and professionally. USCIS senior leadership is tirelessly working to mitigate our agency's financial situation and we will continue to advocate on behalf of our agency, workforce, and mission. We thank you for your continued resiliency and ability to adapt to change under these constantly evolving circumstances, and for carrying out our mission every day."


Not good. Straight from the agency.
thanks 1 user thanked daddythedonkey for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/18/2020(UTC)
daddythedonkey  
#277 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:07:12 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MGG Go to Quoted Post
Forget about the freeze. We are in RIF territory now (check email sent Friday evening by the Director).



Yuppers. It's sad that a once fiscally-sound agency is now in trouble. The biggest reason the agency is in a potential RIF status is mostly due to funds being taken from USCIS and put into ICE/CBP. COVID-19 didn't help the situation.

If we do go to a RIF/furloughed status (which is why I think this 'warning shot' went out), hiring would be on a long-term freeze, those with 15 years or more(?) would be offered buy-outs, the RIF would directly affect those with <3 years. Once things get rolling again with the economy, those who were RIF'd could potentially be come back. Congress and USCIS needs to strongly look at charging for humanitarian-based petitions and applications (this was vaguely referred to in the announcement).

Why do you think they would stop at the last three years? If filings are down 61%, then wouldn't they be looking to shed roughly half the workforce? I got hired five years ago and I'm updating my resume, but if there's a reason to not be worried I'd love to hear it.


The 10% surcharge isn't going to help getting the filing numbers back up either. I know some people don't like hearing the reality of the situation, but updating your resume is the least you do should. Start applying to other agencies.
Mike in VT  
#278 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:21:34 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RainMan666 Go to Quoted Post
They should just give the agency congressional funding in 2021. Or, if Trump is re-elected just scrap the agency and transfer everyone to ICE/CBP.


So back to the INS structure?
daddythedonkey  
#279 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:29:26 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RainMan666 Go to Quoted Post
They should just give the agency congressional funding in 2021. Or, if Trump is re-elected just scrap the agency and transfer everyone to ICE/CBP.


So back to the INS structure?


Maybe keep it under DHS, as i believe INS was DOJ. But, i do think the agency needs to be reorganized, especially if the bailout is given.


This is actually a really good idea. CIS, ICE, and CBP would be able to function more smoothly if they consolidated back into one agency again.
Mukapuka  
#280 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:35:29 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 137
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Wow just wow. I can hear Stephen Miller laughing like an evil villain right now. They have brought USCIS to its knees.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
32 Pages«<1213141516>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.886 seconds.