Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tic32003  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:06:06 AM(UTC)
tic32003

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think I know what's happening.

Some agencies (especially DOI and USDS) do mass announcements for temporary positions and a single announcement can be for multiple grade levels under the same series.

Just because you may qualify for one of the higher graded positions means absolutely nothing. The selecting official can offer you the position at ANY of the available grades and you either accept that offer or you don't.

You can ask for one of the higher graded positions but they are under no obligation to change their offer. They are also under no obligation to work you the entire 1039 hours which means you can potentially work the entire six months or you can be let go much sooner than that if the budget or available work is no longer available.

You have zero grievance. None.

You do have three options, though:

1. You can either spend the next six months making yourself (and everyone around you) miserable fighting a battle you have no chance of winning,
2. You can accept that this is the grade you agreed to and make the best of it, or
3. You can turn down the offer.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear and you can come back and make all the arguments you want just as you've done with every other response you've received, but it really doesn't matter. You have no grievance in this.

Former Lee Warmer  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:07:42 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't want to put words in your mouth Frank but some of what you have said about the eligibility issue comes across as "they can decide whatever they want". This isn't a question of ranking or being referred, in which case I agree they can be as arbitrary as their hearts desire. There have been plenty of times I was found eligible, but not referred, and that's the end of that.

But this is strictly about eligibility. You should either be eligible or not and I was found to be both. You either meet the requirements or you don't, and as a public government employer it seems to me there should be some accountability in that determination process. I still don't see any way that two different decisions can be "correct" or "justified" based on the same requirements and same documents. I still don't see how "OR" can justifiably be interpreted as "AND", with (apparently) no recourse for the applicant. Please help me understand better. Thanks

Former Lee Warmer  
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:13:34 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tic32003 Go to Quoted Post
I think I know what's happening.

Some agencies (especially DOI and USDS) do mass announcements for temporary positions and a single announcement can be for multiple grade levels under the same series.

Just because you may qualify for one of the higher graded positions means absolutely nothing. The selecting official can offer you the position at ANY of the available grades and you either accept that offer or you don't.

You can ask for one of the higher graded positions but they are under no obligation to change their offer. They are also under no obligation to work you the entire 1039 hours which means you can potentially work the entire six months or you can be let go much sooner than that if the budget or available work is no longer available.

You have zero grievance. None.

You do have three options, though:

1. You can either spend the next six months making yourself (and everyone around you) miserable fighting a battle you have no chance of winning,
2. You can accept that this is the grade you agreed to and make the best of it, or
3. You can turn down the offer.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear and you can come back and make all the arguments you want just as you've done with every other response you've received, but it really doesn't matter. You have no grievance in this.

No, that's an understandable mistake but thats not what happened. I was found ineligible for the higher grade in one region and eligible in another. The selecting official (whoever that may be, I'm not even sure) did not have the option of offering the higher grade because I was found ineligible for it in that region (despite the requirements and documents submitted being identical to the region where I was found eligible).

Also please don't try to read my mind or make assumptions about the level of misery I'm experiencing or plan to dish out. You'd be quite wrong.
frankgonzalez  
#24 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 3:54:41 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1044 time(s) in 830 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post
I don't want to put words in your mouth Frank but some of what you have said about the eligibility issue comes across as "they can decide whatever they want". This isn't a question of ranking or being referred, in which case I agree they can be as arbitrary as their hearts desire. There have been plenty of times I was found eligible, but not referred, and that's the end of that.

But this is strictly about eligibility. You should either be eligible or not and I was found to be both. You either meet the requirements or you don't, and as a public government employer it seems to me there should be some accountability in that determination process. I still don't see any way that two different decisions can be "correct" or "justified" based on the same requirements and same documents. I still don't see how "OR" can justifiably be interpreted as "AND", with (apparently) no recourse for the applicant. Please help me understand better. Thanks

without seeing the two announcements, I cannot say what the eligibility requirements are for each. There can be one word which may seem inconsequential to you or I, but to the HR staffer means a lot. Same occurs with classification. A single word difference can change the grade but not mean anything to someone outside of classification until they explain to us laypeople.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed