Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icanzz  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:59:22 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Anyone working in S. Korea and on LQA give me and idea of monthly utilities cost while living on off base. Wife taking position OSAN she is entitled to about 42,668,374.00 WON per year. Just wondering how much of that LQA to hold back for utilities.

Edited by user Sunday, May 17, 2020 6:02:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FS0201  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:45:21 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
Anyone working in S. Korea and on LQA give me and idea of monthly utilities cost while living on off base. Wife taking position OSAN she is entitled to about 42,668,374.00 WON per year. Just wondering how much of that LQA to hold back for utilities.

I rented in Seoul and Pyeongtaek and never had an issue. Best bet is to discuss with your realtor; they will be able to advise better on range. Don’t worry - they will know exactly what you are able to afford on LQA.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
icanzz  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:03:21 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

I rented in Seoul and Pyeongtaek and never had an issue. Best bet is to discuss with your realtor; they will be able to advise better on range. Don’t worry - they will know exactly what you are able to afford on LQA.

Thank you. received a few replies from active duty peeps...on reddit one says the most they have ever paid is $150 utilities. but apparently they all pay $150 management fee too. Sounds like S.Korea utilities are not that bad at all. Italy was very expensive for utilities, had to hold back nearly 25% LQA just for electricity.
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:09:43 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 207 post(s)

You don't need to hold back anything. Utilities are included in the rent. That's the policy with the Army at least. Only active duty pay their utilities separately.

Water, sewer, electric, gas, recycling are all included. Technically, they aren't supposed to include internet and TV but almost all do.

The other weird thing is that you'll pay the year up front, so, you hand over $35k in cash to the landlord and hope they don't invest it all in beanie babies.

The realtors are going to know exactly what your max entitlement is and they will only show you apartments that are at or near that. They work on commission, so the more you pay, the more they make. Even if there are only two of you, you'll be shown all 4 bedroom apts.

As you walk through the apts, pay very careful attention to the condition. I was shown some beautiful apts that, upon closer inspection, were in horrible condition. It isn't unusual for the landlord to repaint or even install new flooring in an apt if you insist.

Another thing is the smell. Without getting into a huge engineering discussion, some apartments, especially older ones, will have a sewer gas smell due to the way the floor drains are plumbed. If you walk into an apt that smells like an open sewer, walk out. The realtor will tell you that they can make a simple fix to the drain or that it is only because the apt has been vacant, don't buy it.

Good luck, Korea wasn't for me but that was mostly the command I was at.
icanzz  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:52:02 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

You don't need to hold back anything. Utilities are included in the rent. That's the policy with the Army at least. Only active duty pay their utilities separately.

Water, sewer, electric, gas, recycling are all included. Technically, they aren't supposed to include internet and TV but almost all do.

The other weird thing is that you'll pay the year up front, so, you hand over $35k in cash to the landlord and hope they don't invest it all in beanie babies.

The realtors are going to know exactly what your max entitlement is and they will only show you apartments that are at or near that. They work on commission, so the more you pay, the more they make. Even if there are only two of you, you'll be shown all 4 bedroom apts.

As you walk through the apts, pay very careful attention to the condition. I was shown some beautiful apts that, upon closer inspection, were in horrible condition. It isn't unusual for the landlord to repaint or even install new flooring in an apt if you insist.

Another thing is the smell. Without getting into a huge engineering discussion, some apartments, especially older ones, will have a sewer gas smell due to the way the floor drains are plumbed. If you walk into an apt that smells like an open sewer, walk out. The realtor will tell you that they can make a simple fix to the drain or that it is only because the apt has been vacant, don't buy it.

Good luck, Korea wasn't for me but that was mostly the command I was at.

Thanks for info. She will be working for the "Air Force on the Air Base OSAN, I have been beaten over the head on Reddit with "there are no Air Force Bases in Korea- only Air Bases". Did you look at any houses?
Endless Summer  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 12:24:19 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Thanks for info. She will be working for the "Air Force on the Air Base OSAN, I have been beaten over the head on Reddit with "there are no Air Force Bases in Korea- only Air Bases". Did you look at any houses?

I'm not in the Osan area. Where I am there are no detached houses unless you go way out of town. It's all high rise apartment buildings. Ignore Reddit, your best info will come from your sponsor and your Wife's command.
icanzz  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:42:49 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

I'm not in the Osan area. Where I am there are no detached houses unless you go way out of town. It's all high rise apartment buildings. Ignore Reddit, your best info will come from your sponsor and your Wife's command.

Thanks Endless,

I have been looking at videos on Youtube. Vidoes with walkthroughs of appartments (Towers) and some videos on single houses located OSAN AB area.
LilBits  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 8:22:52 PM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi, We are currently at Camp Humphries. We have been overseas since 2010 and just extended again. We have bounced between Germany and Korea and financially Korea has its advantages. All utilities are included in your rent. Most homes have solar panels. You pay your landlord for the entire year in USD. It really saves you a lot of out of pocket money as you don't have to deal with exchange rates. The houses in Humphries are fairly new and similar in size and design to American homes. Post allowance is a plus. Cell Phone plans are very reasonably. We live in a housing development with 17 homes, all GS employees rent them, it is 1.8 miles from post. The houses dont just include utilities... it includes all maintenance, everything from lawn care to changing light bulbs. I hope this helps! Also pets are allowed!

Edited by user Wednesday, May 20, 2020 9:12:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

icanzz  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:54:15 PM(UTC)
icanzz

How do you navigate around while driving? I hear that google maps does not work for driving in Korea.
LilBits  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:04:18 PM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

WAZE app works great for us! I use it often as I have no sense of direction. I just used it this morning to drive to the OSAN (30 minutes from us) BX. There are many free apps, people tend to get a favorite and stick with it. The app has settings for languages, Notifications of traffic cameras, speed traps, traffic jams and accidents etc......
Endless Summer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:25:41 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

How do you navigate around while driving? I hear that google maps does not work for driving in Korea.

Also KAKAO Maps is very good
FS0201  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 5:34:10 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 253 post(s)

I bought a garmen through the exchange. I would recommend getting the waze app instead.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed