Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedCO1102  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:42:31 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all!

I've got a conundrum, I've recently gotten a GS14 but have recently gotten an offer for a GS13 Step 7 position. The GS14 position really has zero room for growth in the organization, while the GS13 Step 7 position would be pretty difficult and competitive, but possible, to get 14 again and would also have opportunities for a 15 down the road. The GS14 is a ton of very interesting but overwhelming work with a great boss. The GS13 would also be with a great boss but be less interesting and less overwhelming. The GS13 position would also be a shorter commute, significantly shorter (15-20mins vs 1hour).

I've been looking at the 2 step promotion rule as well if I do get repromoted in the next few years but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the downgrade from a GS13 to GS14. Does anyone have any thoughts or can provide any advice? I'm probably still a good 20+ years away from retirement if that makes any different.

Hoping you guys can give me some different perspectives and things to think about! Thanks!
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:42:11 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 936 time(s) in 787 post(s)
Looking at the pay scales, a move from (presumably) 14/1 to 13/7 would be a slight raise. Of course you'd be getting step increases each of the next three years as a 14/1 but as a 13/7 you'd only be in line for one... assuming you don't get the promotion.

But to me the key factor is that much shorter commute! Hard to put a price on that.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:47:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:00:12 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 253 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post

But to me the key factor is that much shorter commute! Hard to put a price on that.

Yeah, I'd be leaning towards the 13 just for this reason unless the 14 offered significant telework opportunity. Even then, telework can be eliminated at will. There's also a lot to be said for enjoying a challenging position.

I really don't think either would be a huge mistake, go with your gut.

Best wishes
FedCO1102  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:33:55 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

United States

So the 14 position is 3 days of telework for sure, the 13 position I was told is either 2 or 3 days of telework so there's some room and flexibility there. The 14 position I'm in right now is also dual hatted, effectively 2 FT jobs, at least through the end of the year.

I guess I should also mention that the organization with the 13 uses paybanding for their GS14s and 15s, so any promotion there would land me in a GS14/15 payband. I'm not sure if/how any 2 step rule might apply to it though.

Edited by user Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:38:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

smithandjones  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 11:11:49 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It is good to have choices. I think you’ve answered your own question and just want reassurance that giving up the 14 isn’t stupid. Be reassured. There is no intrinsic benefit to being a 14 although you could qualify for other 15s sooner.

If you see more potential for advancement and more immediate happiness (and being less overwhelmed with a dual role) in the 13 then make the choice and move on.
djp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:21:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedCO1102 Go to Quoted Post
So the 14 position is 3 days of telework for sure, the 13 position I was told is either 2 or 3 days of telework so there's some room and flexibility there. The 14 position I'm in right now is also dual hatted, effectively 2 FT jobs, at least through the end of the year.

I guess I should also mention that the organization with the 13 uses paybanding for their GS14s and 15s, so any promotion there would land me in a GS14/15 payband. I'm not sure if/how any 2 step rule might apply to it though.

In pay banding non GS system

If your base salary is between Gs 13 step 4 and Gs 14 step 4 you get Gs 14 credit for that position.

0018 Hopeful  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:15:15 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 43 post(s)
It is always funny when I hear these stories about moving down to move up, and they are always in DC.

Congrats either way!
FedCO1102  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:57:14 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

United States

Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
It is always funny when I hear these stories about moving down to move up, and they are always in DC.

Congrats either way!

The high grades are in DC for the most part, easiest way to get one is to get a job there! Easiest way to burn out is to get a job in DC too hah. The funny part is that it's a choice between moving the 14 to a different location or taking the 13 in the new location, left that part out since it's not as important imo. People go to DC to get those high grades then move away for the downgrade ;)
BOPDentist  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:25:50 AM(UTC)
BOPDentist

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Go for the one with the shorter commute! And with the 13 position you can still make 14 and 15 later on in your career.

You can't put a price on a short commute!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed