Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pumas1234  
#361 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 2:48:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
LMAO
G0271  
#362 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 5:52:58 AM(UTC)
G0271

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good News! I received an email this morning that by background investigation has been "favorably adjudicated."

Bad News, there is still a hiring freeze with no end in sight.
Mike in VT  
#363 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 8:33:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
Good News! I received an email this morning that by background investigation has been "favorably adjudicated."

Bad News, there is still a hiring freeze with no end in sight.

Correct. It's not going to help that the Administration wishes to stop all guest worker programs until the end of the calendar year (at least).
ISOapplicant  
#364 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 4:22:00 PM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

Why January specifically? Just curious.

This could go much longer than that if the Administration wishes to eliminate/ban H1B and other guest worker programs. Depending on the job you applied for at DOS, they're going to be affected too, since they handle the visa side of our work.

I have no inside information, I'm just making guesses based on the figures that have been made public. It seems to me that 5-6 months with 70% of the workforce off, and with receipts returning to near the pre-COVID levels, the agency would return to solvency by that time.

I don't think it's likely that any administration would eliminate H-1B programs. I believe those programs would be the last to be eliminated due to influence from the business community.

Wow, it only took 6 days for this to age poorly.
Heathersmiles844  
#365 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 5:37:17 PM(UTC)
Heathersmiles844

Antigua and Barbuda

Welps. Guess administration didn't get the memo that USCIS is short cash.
GreatlakesISO  
#366 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:52:52 AM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well, it looks like we are getting furlough notices this week. Good luck to everyone having to deal with this.
daddythedonkey  
#367 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 3:04:38 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post
Well, it looks like we are getting furlough notices this week. Good luck to everyone having to deal with this.

Awful news. Thoughts and prayers for all affected
athena79  
#368 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 8:12:53 PM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Someone on Reddit mentioned that the furlough may last until October 2021 (beginning of FY2022). Can anyone confirm this?
Mike in VT  
#369 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:35:07 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Someone on Reddit mentioned that the furlough may last until October 2021 (beginning of FY2022). Can anyone confirm this?

First of all, just in case it isn't obvious; there is another 'member' who is using my Fed Soup handle (not the all cap letters). I have reported him to the ADMINS, but there don't appear to be any. It's not the wild west in this forum.

A RIF (which is permanent) can be implemented after 30 days of a furlough, but no later than 1 year after the implementation of a furlough. This is my understanding of it anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
athena79 on 6/24/2020(UTC)
croptachi  
#370 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 4:05:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I think they are confusing Fiscal Year with calendar year. I am hearing NLT 60 days of furlough. If it goes longer than six months, they can issue permanent RIF notices, and if that happens, then the right to bump comes into effect.

I think the 60 days is to give the new fee rule time to go into effect. I've been around for almost 20 years, we do fee rules every 5-8 years, it's actually mandated in our INA statute that we do this to cover our operating costs, which do increase (rents, utilities, salaries of contractors, etc) this is normal, and it's normal to hear the complaining from stakeholders. If you read the fee rule, a lot of fees are actually decreasing, what we are really increasing is the fee to do the genealogy searches, which we haven't increased ever - it was $65 and is now increasing to up to $265 (online requests are cheaper).

But - if the administration hasn't requested funding from congress - which is what news reports are saying, this could go for a lot longer than 60 days. The appropriations committee has been working on a funding bill, but without the formal request from the administration nothing can be done. Prevailing wisdom is that this is intentional, the administration has not been able to shut down legal immigration through rule and comment, so starving the agency of funds and shutting it down to stop immigration is now the plan.
thanks 5 users thanked for this useful post.
Taystee on 6/24/2020(UTC), athena79 on 6/24/2020(UTC), Mike in VT on 6/24/2020(UTC), G0271 on 6/24/2020(UTC), XFed77 on 10/14/2020(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#371 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:24:22 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: croptachi Go to Quoted Post

But - if the administration hasn't requested funding from congress - which is what news reports are saying, this could go for a lot longer than 60 days. The appropriations committee has been working on a funding bill, but without the formal request from the administration nothing can be done. Prevailing wisdom is that this is intentional, the administration has not been able to shut down legal immigration through rule and comment, so starving the agency of funds and shutting it down to stop immigration is now the plan.

And it's not going to help that the administration wants to cut the guest worker programs through the end of the calendar year.
daddythedonkey  
#372 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:46:02 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

That seems insanely long. I guess it's possible, though, depending on how long the Wuhan pandemic goes on.
croptachi  
#373 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:54:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 4 post(s)

And it's not going to help that the administration wants to cut the guest worker programs through the end of the calendar year.

Especially when you consider how much revenue is generated by premium processing fees for both non-immigrant and immigrant employment based petitions. Preliminary numbers for the first three weeks of June showed two months of premiums filed or upgraded in just three weeks of it being turned back on... Our funding crisis is not related to the pandemic, no matter how much they try to spin it that way.

thanks 3 users thanked for this useful post.
Mike in VT on 6/24/2020(UTC), athena79 on 6/24/2020(UTC), XFed77 on 10/14/2020(UTC)
ISOapplicant  
#374 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:20:24 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Especially when you consider how much revenue is generated by premium processing fees for both non-immigrant and immigrant employment based petitions. Preliminary numbers for the first three weeks of June showed two months of premiums filed or upgraded in just three weeks of it being turned back on... Our funding crisis is not related to the pandemic, no matter how much they try to spin it that way.

Even though most of the staff will be furloughed, I hope management still finds a way to keep premium processing open. The revenue from all the other filings will continue regardless, but if the premium option isn't available then that's a huge sum of money that we're walking away from.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:21:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike in VT  
#375 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:11:59 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post

Even though most of the staff will be furloughed, I hope management still finds a way to keep premium processing open. The revenue from all the other filings will continue regardless, but if the premium option isn't available then that's a huge sum of money that we're walking away from.

I'd gladly make a temporary move over to working I-129s if I happen to be one of the lucky 25% that stays.

JDSIII  
#376 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 10:31:18 AM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Sorry to hear about the furlough. I hope for you guys that the furlough doesn't happen at all.
thanks 1 user thanked JDSIII for this useful post.
justa.test on 6/26/2020(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#377 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:29:16 PM(UTC)

News went out today that the Department of Treasury denied our loan request. So that avenue is gone.
Mike in VT  
#378 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:33:19 PM(UTC)

Forum members. Since ADMINS are either non-existent or simply don't care, I am going to sign off for a while. I'm heading over to another Forum for DHS employees. I will not respond to any PMs. Best of luck to those who are currently with USCIS and those seeking jobs with them in the future.
PSEtoPTF  
#379 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:41:26 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked PSEtoPTF for this useful post.
zizzer on 6/27/2020(UTC)
Pumas1234  
#380 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:14:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Forum members. Since ADMINS are either non-existent or simply don't care, I am going to sign off for a while. I'm heading over to another Forum for DHS employees. I will not respond to any PMs. Best of luck to those who are currently with USCIS and those seeking jobs with them in the future.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed