Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Turtle9654  
#41 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 12:23:13 PM(UTC)
Turtle9654

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/19/2018(UTC)
Posts: 15
United States
Location: Arizona

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You don't need an accounting degree, you have to have the hours which includes the classes of Principles of Accounting, Intermediate accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced accounting and Auditing classes. For a TCO you would have the Principles of accounting classes, but you need to have the others as well. I was missing Cost accounting last time around, but still had the hours, and I didn't qualify.

Yes, being a TCO does count for experience, as I was a TCO also for about 4-5 years, so you would have the combination of education and experience. You would be surprised by how many internal applicants don't have the qualifications to be an RA, I know the TCO's in my building most don't have it and other area's of the IRS, they don't need accounting so little internal applicants. When I was hired for the TCO job, I was the only internal applicant.

teeeeej  
#42 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 1:05:22 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 347

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
You don't need an accounting degree, you have to have the hours which includes the classes of Principles of Accounting, Intermediate accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced accounting and Auditing classes. For a TCO you would have the Principles of accounting classes, but you need to have the others as well. I was missing Cost accounting last time around, but still had the hours, and I didn't qualify.

Yes, being a TCO does count for experience, as I was a TCO also for about 4-5 years, so you would have the combination of education and experience. You would be surprised by how many internal applicants don't have the qualifications to be an RA, I know the TCO's in my building most don't have it and other area's of the IRS, they don't need accounting so little internal applicants. When I was hired for the TCO job, I was the only internal applicant.



I've only been a TCO for 9 months. I got hired as an external last fall. The last class I needed was Auditing, so I took that at an online community college from January-May.

When I applied to TCO, they had an option to pass an online assessment to substitute for having taken the two classes. I think that must be a relatively new option because one of my co-workers told me the same thing that you did- that the two classes are required. Maybe they aren't allowed the assessment substitute for internals for some reason? I was Category B though. There's so much turnover it wouldn't surprise me if they made it easier to hire people.

Maybe I should be kicking myself for not having applied in my building - because I know my co-workers aren't applying. My current building was my 3rd choice location last year, I applied to all the other places I wanted but they may be more popular. I guess i should have applied locally too. I just went in and updated my external app but too late to change the internal. I live in a hot climate and didn't want to drive all over the place, but who knows what field audits will even look like going forward with everything being virtual right now.

Edited by user Monday, June 22, 2020 1:20:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Turtle9654  
#43 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 1:50:36 PM(UTC)
Turtle9654

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/19/2018(UTC)
Posts: 15
United States
Location: Arizona

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Taking the assessment test is not new, however it is a harder test so it is just easier in my eyes to take the classes. I had already had those two when I because a TCO, I had worked in the walk-in office before being a TCO. When I left TCO I was a grade 11. I currently work in Chief Counsel's office, have been there for 6 years now. I am considered external for any jobs that the IRS announces so I have to compete with the rest of the world, which stinks because I have almost 20 year of service with the IRS. I applied for the two offices in my area for RA, even though the one is far from my house, but after a year you can telework so it won't matter too much. The also just announced TCO job's, and I reapplied for that, because I am trying to get back to the IRS side, even though I technically still work for the IRS.

They consider Internal applications first, as long as you qualify and BQ then you should get an interview and I have heard that the interview can be hard and a lot of people don't get the job because of it. I know in a thread I read somewhere, people who had the interview wrote what some of the questions were.
teeeeej  
#44 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 2:05:04 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 347

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
Taking the assessment test is not new, however it is a harder test so it is just easier in my eyes to take the classes. I had already had those two when I because a TCO, I had worked in the walk-in office before being a TCO. When I left TCO I was a grade 11. I currently work in Chief Counsel's office, have been there for 6 years now. I am considered external for any jobs that the IRS announces so I have to compete with the rest of the world, which stinks because I have almost 20 year of service with the IRS. I applied for the two offices in my area for RA, even though the one is far from my house, but after a year you can telework so it won't matter too much. The also just announced TCO job's, and I reapplied for that, because I am trying to get back to the IRS side, even though I technically still work for the IRS.

They consider Internal applications first, as long as you qualify and BQ then you should get an interview and I have heard that the interview can be hard and a lot of people don't get the job because of it. I know in a thread I read somewhere, people who had the interview wrote what some of the questions were.


My manager actually told me that if I get scheduled for an interview, I can let her know and they would set up a mock interview and give me feedback on hwo i can improve answers before the real interview.


I thought the TCO interview was super easy, it sounds like the RA interview is a whole different beast. I had an interveiw with FDIC last month and I totally bombed it. I'm regretting that i didn't prepare more. It was 4 behavioral questions. I liked that the TCO had no behavioral questions at all, it was all theoretical job scenarios and calculations.


It is odd that the IRS doesn't have announcements open to competitive service only, that would help the feds that are in other agencies.

Edited by user Monday, June 22, 2020 2:06:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Spaceman_Spiff  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:29:30 AM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/12/2012(UTC)
Posts: 55

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
Taking the assessment test is not new, however it is a harder test so it is just easier in my eyes to take the classes. I had already had those two when I because a TCO, I had worked in the walk-in office before being a TCO. When I left TCO I was a grade 11. I currently work in Chief Counsel's office, have been there for 6 years now. I am considered external for any jobs that the IRS announces so I have to compete with the rest of the world, which stinks because I have almost 20 year of service with the IRS. I applied for the two offices in my area for RA, even though the one is far from my house, but after a year you can telework so it won't matter too much. The also just announced TCO job's, and I reapplied for that, because I am trying to get back to the IRS side, even though I technically still work for the IRS.

They consider Internal applications first, as long as you qualify and BQ then you should get an interview and I have heard that the interview can be hard and a lot of people don't get the job because of it. I know in a thread I read somewhere, people who had the interview wrote what some of the questions were.


My manager actually told me that if I get scheduled for an interview, I can let her know and they would set up a mock interview and give me feedback on hwo i can improve answers before the real interview.


I thought the TCO interview was super easy, it sounds like the RA interview is a whole different beast. I had an interveiw with FDIC last month and I totally bombed it. I'm regretting that i didn't prepare more. It was 4 behavioral questions. I liked that the TCO had no behavioral questions at all, it was all theoretical job scenarios and calculations.


It is odd that the IRS doesn't have announcements open to competitive service only, that would help the feds that are in other agencies.


I think you'll be fine on the RA interview, it was relatively easy when I had mine in 2012. But absolutely attend a mock interview, it will help a lot.

jusbnme20  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:57:21 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 85
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I had an SBSE interview last year. I thought it was very simple. Mostly situational and 1-2 basic accounting questions. I am a former RA though so maybe that’s why it was simple.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 7:00:02 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 455
United States

Thanks: 36 times
Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I think I interviewed for the RA position twice as a TCO and didn’t get the job offer. I didn’t mock interview because I didn’t even know they offered mock interviews.

I was offered a mock interview for the CI position and I got the job. Take the mock interview if you can.
CubicalCMDR  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:40:37 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/3/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: MD

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Applied as an outsider for RA SBSE closed 6/23/2020, Received notice of possible interview for a different IRS job\series. If I were to interview and receive a TO or FO, (non RA job) would I still be able to consider an SBSE RA offer? When would I be locked in at grade level for the non RA position?
teeeeej  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 10:41:33 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 347

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
Applied as an outsider for RA SBSE closed 6/23/2020, Received notice of possible interview for a different IRS job\series. If I were to interview and receive a TO or FO, (non RA job) would I still be able to consider an SBSE RA offer? When would I be locked in at grade level for the non RA position?



Accepting another offer has no impact on other employment pursuits. People move around in the government all the time.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 6/24/2020(UTC)
CubicalCMDR  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 11:31:14 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/3/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: MD

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If I accept a non-RA position and am on 1st year probation, I can still accept another IRS offer?
teeeeej  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:28:56 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 347

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
If I accept a non-RA position and am on 1st year probation, I can still accept another IRS offer?


Of course. And my understnading is that if you stay in the same agency, yoo don't start probation over, but I could be wrong.


I hadn't completed my probation period with my prior agency, if I had my understanding is that I would not be subject to a probation with the new agency.


There's passing probation and there's going from career conditional to career.

You get career after 3 years in the competitive service. You want to hit career, that way you can apply to competitive service announcements basically for the rest of your life regardless of if you leave or how long you've been gone. The IRS doesn't seem to target the competitive service in general, but several other agencies do.

I started last September, one of the other new hires already left for a different agency, and my manager knows I'm going for RA, she doesn't care, she's actually encouraged it.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:29:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 6/24/2020(UTC)
CubicalCMDR  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 4:22:06 PM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/3/2019(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man
United States
Location: MD

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TKS to TEEEEE, that's very clear.
ironman0786  
#53 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:59:54 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 360

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jusbnme20 Go to Quoted Post
I heard that SBSE was doing another Revenue Agent mass hiring. There’s supposed to be 400+ positions available. I saw one announcement today with 34 positions in Colorado, New York and Utah. I’m hoping more announcements will
post with more locations. I’ve heard some locations really need RAs in SBSE.


This 34 vacancies posting appears to have an EOD (Start date of) 09/11/2020, at least for the internal opening, all others continue to have a TBD date. However, even the 9/11/2020 date seems odd since that is not a Sunday, not the beginning of a pay period. Unfortunately, I missed the 300 something vacancy posting and only applied for the 34 one, internal and external. I hope they don't go ahead and cancel the smaller listing.

It is unusual since the vacancy locations posted in the smaller listing also appear in the larger posting however the number of vacancies is different between the two for the two locations but they both are for SB/SE departments. Unless the smaller one is for specialty departments. But last year it was listed in the posting.

Does anyone know the style of interview for internal applicants? I only interviewed externally last year and didn't like the locations I was offered so I turned down the job.
teeeeej  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:04:43 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 347

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jusbnme20 Go to Quoted Post
I heard that SBSE was doing another Revenue Agent mass hiring. There’s supposed to be 400+ positions available. I saw one announcement today with 34 positions in Colorado, New York and Utah. I’m hoping more announcements will
post with more locations. I’ve heard some locations really need RAs in SBSE.


This 34 vacancies posting appears to have an EOD (Start date of) 09/11/2020, at least for the internal opening, all others continue to have a TBD date. However, even the 9/11/2020 date seems odd since that is not a Sunday, not the beginning of a pay period. Unfortunately, I missed the 300 something vacancy posting and only applied for the 34 one, internal and external. I hope they don't go ahead and cancel the smaller listing.

It is unusual since the vacancy locations posted in the smaller listing also appear in the larger posting however the number of vacancies is different between the two for the two locations but they both are for SB/SE departments. Unless the smaller one is for specialty departments. But last year it was listed in the posting.

Does anyone know the style of interview for internal applicants? I only interviewed externally last year and didn't like the locations I was offered so I turned down the job.



A 9/11 EOD would not be fun, TCOs who were hired last year started on 09/30, so that's literally one pay period before the auto-promotion from GS-7 to GS-9. Maybe that's by design. Ha.
jusbnme20  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:45:10 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 85
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jusbnme20 Go to Quoted Post
I heard that SBSE was doing another Revenue Agent mass hiring. There’s supposed to be 400+ positions available. I saw one announcement today with 34 positions in Colorado, New York and Utah. I’m hoping more announcements will
post with more locations. I’ve heard some locations really need RAs in SBSE.


This 34 vacancies posting appears to have an EOD (Start date of) 09/11/2020, at least for the internal opening, all others continue to have a TBD date. However, even the 9/11/2020 date seems odd since that is not a Sunday, not the beginning of a pay period. Unfortunately, I missed the 300 something vacancy posting and only applied for the 34 one, internal and external. I hope they don't go ahead and cancel the smaller listing.

It is unusual since the vacancy locations posted in the smaller listing also appear in the larger posting however the number of vacancies is different between the two for the two locations but they both are for SB/SE departments. Unless the smaller one is for specialty departments. But last year it was listed in the posting.

Does anyone know the style of interview for internal applicants? I only interviewed externally last year and didn't like the locations I was offered so I turned down the job.


They probably mean September 14th as the 13th is the start of a new pay period. That works for me!! I hear interviews are supposed to start in a couple weeks. We shall see what happens in reality.
slowpoke  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 5:06:15 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 584
United States

Thanks: 121 times
Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 117 post(s)
I find it hard to believe that they will be bringing people on by September. I guess we will see what happens 7/15. If they extended the People First Initiative I would expect the hiring would be early (October-November) or right before 2019 audits open (March-April). 2018 audits are on hold so I would imagine we would have to get to work on that before hiring could be considered.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 1, 2020 5:08:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jusbnme20  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 6:06:02 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 85
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Information I received from a manager indicates hiring will occur this fiscal year. I'm sure things change on a daily basis. I'm not certain if hiring funds from one fiscal year can be used in another fiscal year. I hope hiring happens in September 2020. That would be great.
Funtik  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 8:28:17 AM(UTC)
Funtik

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2019(UTC)
Posts: 39
United States
Location: New York

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Question for the June 2019 hires. Did you guys already get a grade increase?
Kozmosmom  
#59 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:10:39 AM(UTC)
Kozmosmom

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/16/2019(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: Florida

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I had some movement yesterday on my external application.

Specifically stated,"Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review."

I was hired last year at GS11. Resigned due to illness, now trying to get rehired!
jusbnme20  
#60 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:56:23 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 85
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kozmosmom Go to Quoted Post
I had some movement yesterday on my external application.

Specifically stated,"Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review."

I was hired last year at GS11. Resigned due to illness, now trying to get rehired!


Me too!! Me too!! The status on my application changed to “Qualifications Under Review” also. I got that email early this morning. I’m a former RA trying to get back in. Good luck to you!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.809 seconds.