Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bess  
#21 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:26:35 AM(UTC)
Bess

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you a vet. Heard if you are a vet you are exempted from being furloughed, don't know if this is true but 2 people I know that are vet didn't get the notice so I assume that is the case. Hopefully this furlough doesn't go through as the email sent out said 3567 notices have been sent out to service centers employees and if my calculation is right it means about 600 was furloughed from each service centers....Congress should act now
CrookedCounty  
#22 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:37:44 AM(UTC)
CrookedCounty

United States

Veteran status is a consideration and gives you priority, but it does not make you immune. Many vets have been furloughed unfortunately.
AsylumOff  
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:49:31 AM(UTC)
AsylumOff

United States

It's based on RIF procedure for 30+ day separations/furloughs. You'll be ranked against others in the office, though Service Computation Date is a bigger factor in the retention rankings (and then you can tack on preferences and performance ratings). Per OPM,

"The law provides that OPM's RIF regulations must give effect to four factors in releasing employees:

tenure of employment (e.g., type of appointment);
veterans' preference;
length of service; and
performance ratings."

Nothing from RAIO yet based on what I've heard. I'm still (remotely) hopeful that they include our funding in the 2nd round of stimulus, which gives Congress a hard deadline of July 31 when the economic relief expires. If nothing happens, then the congressional recess -- August 3 to September 3 -- guarantees us at least 1 month of furloughs. And because we're a fee-funded agency and they're so strapped for cash, I don't expect us to receive back pay in that event.
EOD430  
#24 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 8:55:24 AM(UTC)
EOD430

The Vermont Service Center employees received their notices late Friday night. People with many years of service and/or military are included in the furlough.
Mike in VT  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:04:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
There are officers with 34 years experience that have been furloughed and officers with <4 years experience and no vet preference that kept their jobs. Unreal. No rhyme or reason. Certainly not following the CFR.
Washington Ave  
#26 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:03:42 PM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
There are officers with 34 years experience that have been furloughed and officers with <4 years experience and no vet preference that kept their jobs. Unreal. No rhyme or reason. Certainly not following the CFR.

that totally sucks.

what kind of math are they using?

this needs to be investigated.

what is the union doing about it?

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
daddythedonkey  
#27 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:38:41 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Are just service center employees being furloughed? What about field offices?
Mike in VT  
#28 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:07:52 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Are just service center employees being furloughed? What about field offices?

They should be getting hit as well.
Mike in VT  
#29 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:09:47 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Washington Ave Go to Quoted Post

that totally sucks.

I’m sure there will be complaints to the union tomorrow, followed by grievances.

Nice user name. Wash Ave was my seminar at Basic.
GreatlakesISO  
#30 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:14:24 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm so sorry to all of those who have received their notices. From what I've asked around, no one from my office has received a notice. I'm expecting the majority of offices will receive notices tomorrow. It's going to be a long day.
Baljohn  
#31 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 6:16:00 PM(UTC)
Baljohn

United States

The notices for my office will go out Monday morning. Horrible way to start your work week.
PSEtoPTF  
#32 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:58:50 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)

that totally sucks.

I’m sure there will be complaints to the union tomorrow, followed by grievances.

From what I have heard on the town hall it will go by grade. So if the person with 34 years is the same grade as <4 years this is an issue. Plus, recently they told us that they plan to keep more adjudicators than supervisors.
It’s a hard time for everyone, no one wants to be furloughed.
oujosh29  
#33 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 8:43:48 PM(UTC)
oujosh29

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post

that totally sucks.

From what I have heard on the town hall it will go by grade. So if the person with 34 years is the same grade as <4 years this is an issue. Plus, recently they told us that they plan to keep more adjudicators than supervisors.

I'm a 30% disabled vet and a gs 12 who was furloughed, and I know at least two gs 7s who have been at the TSC for less than a year not get furloughed. My wife started with them. Getting furloughed sucks, but it would be nice to know how they decided
Eternal-Itch  
#34 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:26:41 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oujosh29 Go to Quoted Post

that totally sucks.

I'm a 30% disabled vet and a gs 12 who was furloughed, and I know at least two gs 7s who have been at the TSC for less than a year not get furloughed. My wife started with them. Getting furloughed sucks, but it would be nice to know how they decided

Are you retired military? You don't get RIF Preference if you are (unless disability is combat related reasons). I'm in a Field Office, no notices yet for our office that I know of. Probably today.
oujosh29  
#35 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:48:09 AM(UTC)
oujosh29

United States

Originally Posted by: Eternal-Itch Go to Quoted Post

that totally sucks.

Are you retired military? You don't get RIF Preference if you are (unless disability is combat related reasons). I'm in a Field Office, no notices yet for our office that I know of. Probably today.

No I'm not retired military and my disability is combat related.
Mike in VT  
#36 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:29:38 AM(UTC)

that totally sucks.

The CFR does not allow for that type of breakdown. It clearly states:

§ 351.601Order of release from competitive level.
(a) Each agency must select competing employees for release from a competitive level (including release from a competitive level involving a pay band) under this part in the inverse order of retention standing, beginning with the employee with the lowest retention standing on the retention register. AN AGENCY MAY NOT RELEASE A COMPETING EMPLOYEE FROM A COMPETITIVE LEVEL WHILE RETAINING IN THAT LEVEL AN EMPLOYEE WITH LOWER RETENTION STANDING
PSEtoPTF  
#37 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:37:17 AM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

(a) Each agency must select competing employees for release from a competitive level (including release from a competitive level involving a pay band) under this part in the inverse order of retention standing, beginning with the employee with the lowest retention standing on the retention register. AN AGENCY MAY NOT RELEASE A COMPETING EMPLOYEE FROM A COMPETITIVE LEVEL WHILE RETAINING IN THAT LEVEL AN EMPLOYEE WITH LOWER RETENTION STANDING

Correct. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.
I am saying that employee with 34 years of service that got furloughed probably a higher grade than employee with less than 4 years of service.
Same with oujosh29, he is 12, and people that he is talking about are 7. We can't compare one with other, they are different levels.
Now if I am 12 with say 5 years, non-vet and oujosh29 is 12, 5 years and vet and he is let go and I stayed, this is an issue.
But if I am 7 with 5 years non vet and he is 12 with 5 years, vet we are in different categories.
Example from real life: my furlough notice saying that SCD for my category is 3-4 years LESS than for vets with 5-10 point preference. So if I started in 2004 and vet started in 2000, we have the same chance NOT getting furloughed. (We don't talk about other factors here, just that).
oujosh29  
#38 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:56:30 AM(UTC)
oujosh29

United States

I am saying that employee with 34 years of service that got furloughed probably a higher grade than employee with less than 4 years of service.
Same with oujosh29, he is 12, and people that he is talking about are 7. We can't compare one with other, they are different levels.
Now if I am 12 with say 5 years, non-vet and oujosh29 is 12, 5 years and vet and he is let go and I stayed, this is an issue.
But if I am 7 with 5 years non vet and he is 12 with 5 years, vet we are in different categories.
Example from real life: my furlough notice saying that SCD for my category is 3-4 years LESS than for vets with 5-10 point preference. So if I started in 2004 and vet started in 2000, we have the same chance NOT getting furloughed. (We don't talk about other factors here, just that).

I get that logic, the competition is within the same grade level. So 5 level 12s stay, 5 level 9s, etc. I understand the logic, so they wouldn't have nothing but level 12s or above staying. However, if thats the way it is they have done a really bad job telling people.
PSEtoPTF  
#39 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:27:46 AM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

I get that logic, the competition is within the same grade level. So 5 level 12s stay, 5 level 9s, etc. I understand the logic, so they wouldn't have nothing but level 12s or above staying. However, if thats the way it is they have done a really bad job telling people.

Ok, I got errors in my logic. Please, disregard. :)
Mike in VT  
#40 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:47:04 AM(UTC)

Pay grades have nothing to do with the furlough selection. SCD only.

So information is going out that major errors were made with the furlough selections. Looks like we're going to be going through this again.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed