Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike in VT  
#41 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:47:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Pay grades have nothing to do with the furlough selection. SCD only.

So information is going out that major errors were made with the furlough selections. Looks like we're going to be going through this again.
JohnnyFive  
#42 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:52:12 AM(UTC)
JohnnyFive

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I did some research into this, and this is what I found. I linked my sources. I think the important information is at the bottom regarding the agency's right to define the competitive area.

5 CFR § 351.601 - Order of release from competitive level.
CFR

prev | next
§ 351.601 Order of release from competitive level.
(a) Each agency must select competing employees for release from a competitive level (including release from a competitive level involving a pay band) under this part in the inverse order of retention standing, beginning with the employee with the lowest retention standing on the retention register. An agency may not release a competing employee from a competitive level while retaining in that level an employee with lower retention standing except:
(1) As required under § 351.606 when an employee is retained under a mandatory exception or under § 351.806 when an employee is entitled to a new written notice of reduction in force; or
(2) As permitted under § 351.607 when an employee is retained under a permissive continuing exception or under § 351.608 when an employee is retained under a permissive temporary exception.
(b) At its option an agency may provide for intervening displacement within the competitive level before final release of the employee with the lowest-retention standing from the competitive level.
(c) When employees in the same retention subgroup have identical service dates and are tied for release from a competitive level, the agency may select any tied employee for release.
[73 FR 29388, May 21, 2008]

https://www.opm.gov/poli...g/reductions-in-force/#9

Defining the Competitive Area
When preparing for a RIF, the agency defines the "Competitive Area" that establishes the geographical and organizational limits for RIF competition.
A competitive area may consist of all or part of an agency.  The minimum competitive area is an organization in a local commuting area that is separate from other agency organizations because of differences in operation, work function, staff, and personnel administration.  Separate personnel administration is the authority of managers to authorize personnel actions (i.e., establishing positions, abolishing positions, etc.), not just process personnel actions.  For example, a single personnel office may potentially process actions for multiple competitive areas.

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../workforce_reshaping.pdf

OPM Definition of Competitive Area

Competitive Area. The organizational and geographic boundaries in which employees compete in a RIF. Agencies have the option of establishing a competitive area comprised only of pay band positions when the competitive area would otherwise include pay band positions and other positions not covered by a pay band.

Edited by user Monday, June 29, 2020 8:53:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GreatlakesISO  
#43 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:26:20 AM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

So information is going out that major errors were made with the furlough selections. Looks like we're going to be going through this again.

This roll out of notices is poorly executed. I feel for my colleagues in Service Centers who have received their notices. As of now, my field office hasn’t received any notifications. I don’t know if other field offices have.

Edited by user Monday, June 29, 2020 11:26:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Megs2693  
#44 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:44:28 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post

This roll out of notices is poorly executed. I feel for my colleagues in Service Centers who have received their notices. As of now, my field office hasn’t received any notifications. I don’t know if other field offices have.

FOD starting sending theirs out about an hour ago.
TheRealOrange  
#45 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:54:36 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 136 post(s)

That's not entirely true. As already mentioned in this thread, the agency sets the Competitive Level. That is, the agency groups interchangeable positions into competitive levels based upon similarity of grade, series, qualifications, duties and working conditions. Any positions with different types of work schedules, such as full-time, part-time, intermittent, seasonal, or on-call, are placed in different competitive levels. Also, because of the differences in duties and responsibilities, supervisory positions and management officials are placed in competitive levels of only those types of positions. And last, competitive and excepted service positions are placed in separate competitive levels. Usually, the agency shares the competitive levels and competitive areas in advance with any union involved.
John_NE  
#46 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 12:31:36 PM(UTC)
John_NE

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Did anyone from NBC receive the notices yet? I am quite confused, as one Division Chief was placed on potential furlough however the Section Chiefs were untouched. But for sure, we were told duties and responsibilities play an immense factor. Same Level, but the person who has an expertise on a key operational factor, she was saved compared to others of higher SCD. Damn errors and rushed list, to some extent favoritism.
GreatlakesISO  
#47 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 1:00:21 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Field office received notices, got mine. Pretty depressing.
tpadul  
#48 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 1:30:50 PM(UTC)
tpadul

Just got my notice Very depressing for sure, I was the 10th most senior employee in our office of BUE employees... almost 24 years..
Mike in VT  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:41:46 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: tpadul Go to Quoted Post
Just got my notice Very depressing for sure, I was the 10th most senior employee in our office of BUE employees... almost 24 years..

Sorry to hear that. We have 34 year employees with Vet Pref that received a notice. We may hear more today about the potential error with the list. More to come.
Mike in VT  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:47:47 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

That's not entirely true. As already mentioned in this thread, the agency sets the Competitive Level. That is, the agency groups interchangeable positions into competitive levels based upon similarity of grade, series, qualifications, duties and working conditions. Any positions with different types of work schedules, such as full-time, part-time, intermittent, seasonal, or on-call, are placed in different competitive levels. Also, because of the differences in duties and responsibilities, supervisory positions and management officials are placed in competitive levels of only those types of positions. And last, competitive and excepted service positions are placed in separate competitive levels. Usually, the agency shares the competitive levels and competitive areas in advance with any union involved.

I can only go by what executive management communicated to us. That is to say, supervisors and BUEs were all in the same pool and position, job series, etc. had no consideration. The hierarchy was as follows:

-Vets with disability
-Vets w/o disability
-Non-Vet Preference

Each category ranked based on length of service and performance ratings.
TheRealOrange  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:40:24 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

I can only go by what executive management communicated to us. That is to say, supervisors and BUEs were all in the same pool and position, job series, etc. had no consideration. The hierarchy was as follows:

-Vets with disability
-Vets w/o disability
-Non-Vet Preference

Each category ranked based on length of service and performance ratings.

The hierarchy is actually: 1. tenure of employment (e.g., type of appointment); 2. veterans' preference; 3. length of service; and 4. performance ratings. But, that's within a competitive area and competitive level. The federal regulation governing competitive level (5 C.F.R. § 351.403) provides:

Each agency shall establish competitive levels consisting of all positions in a competitive area which are in the same grade (or occupational level) and classification series, and which are similar enough in duties, qualification requirements, pay schedules, and working conditions so that an agency may reassign the incumbent of one position to any of the other positions in the level without undue interruption.

Bold added. So, regardless of what might have been said, they have to follow the law and the USCIS bargaining agreement. I'm not sure if the 2016 contract is still in place, but it addressed RIF in Article 48. Under the 2016 contract, the RIF article specifically indicates: "All reductions-in-force, transfer of function, reorganizations, and furloughs will be carried out in compliance with applicable laws, and any alleged failure to comply with such laws and regulations will be processed in accordance with the Grievance Procedure Article of this Agreement, or for cases appealable to the MSPB, in accordance with its rules." Under the same article, employees receiving a RIF notice have the right "to review retention lists pertaining to all positions for which they are qualified." This would expressly include the retention register "for their competitive level and those for other positions for which they are qualified, down to and including those in the same or equivalent grade as the position offered by the Agency." For employees to be separated, the list should include "all positions equal to or below the grade level of their current positions." Finally, any affected employees have "the right to the assistance of the Union when reviewing such lists of records."
Eternal-Itch  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:34:47 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post
Field office received notices, got mine. Pretty depressing.

I haven't heard of anyone yet in my field office who hasn't been furloughed, including the FOD (which is odd). I haven't contacted everyone, but it appears tenure, performance appraisal rating, and vet preference had little or no affect. Someone told me this is just phase one, where all the furloughs will now be reviewed at District and Field level for final decision (FDNS person told me this). Again, just heard this, nothing in writing or from management.

Bros1980  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:30:22 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

So how may people are being furloughed? Is it 6000 or still 13000?

Megs2693  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:48:30 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bros1980 Go to Quoted Post

FOD alone sent out 5500 furlough notices. Approximately 70 % of the agency is being furloughed so I'd say the number is closer to 13,000.
John_NE  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:57:51 AM(UTC)
John_NE

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post

FOD alone sent out 5500 furlough notices. Approximately 70 % of the agency is being furloughed so I'd say the number is closer to 13,000.

I would say the number would significantly reduce to may be 10,000 at the end. Due to business requirements, technical errors (system generates furloughed and retained lists for each competitive level retention register) 50% retained at my unit. They have collected sufficient fees to pay these folks.
Bros1980  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

Are they done send notices to people that work at FOD?
tpadul  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:28:01 AM(UTC)
tpadul

Are they done send notices to people that work at FOD?

Hi there, Yes I think so, according to the way the most recent email was sent around 9:52am central time this morning from the
USCIS Deputy director they said they issued approximately 13,900 furlough notices and then talked about if you did not get one blah blah blah... so it looks as if they are done sending them.

I still don't get it , there are other ISO 2 officers at my office that are non-military that have less time than me and they did not get notices, but I am also an ASC manager so I don't know if they looked at the grouping of us ASC managers and cut me, even though one other officer in our ASC group still has less time in than me, and is not military and also has all "outstanding" PWP did not get a notice.

None of this makes much sense. but it does look like all the notices have been sent out.

Sad times for sure....

Edited by user Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:32:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HurryUpAndWait29  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:50:54 PM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Check it out. We may receive some funding after the house homeland security subcommittee approved its bill during a July 07 markup.

“U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which moving to furlough 75 percent of its workers due to declining revenue, would receive $183.9 million.”

https://fcw.com/articles...riations-update.aspx?m=1
PSEtoPTF  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:18:06 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HurryUpAndWait29 Go to Quoted Post
Check it out. We may receive some funding after the house homeland security subcommittee approved its bill during a July 07 markup.

“U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which moving to furlough 75 percent of its workers due to declining revenue, would receive $183.9 million.”

https://fcw.com/articles...riations-update.aspx?m=1

These numbers mean that I am staying furloughed:(
Rss Feed  Atom Feed