Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ihatemanagement  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 11:46:32 PM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ihatemanagement Go to Quoted Post
My EEO should take care of the retaliation.

who did you file your eeo against?

if it was not the postmaster general (does not matter who is the named person) then you do not have a case if you are citing the other office.

I filed against my manager. The retaliation stems from the past and current EEOS between her and my wife. The EEO filed claims she refused to allow me to have a Change of schedule when covid-19 first started. Her reasoning was not sound or justified. Extra help had been hired and at the time of my request we weren’t even running my machine( clock rings will show that as I always moved to whatever PL we were in). Again, she attempted to use my marriage against me by allowing my wife to go to another tour but my wife wasn’t the one asking for the COS. She allowed a mailhandler who bid into my section at that same time a COS for 6 weeks.

There’s no case for what she’s doing currently. This is from her actions a few months ago.
Ihatemanagement  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:43:04 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Just an update to this. My manager contacted the HR manager to see if what she wanted to do was legal or enforceable. Unfortunately for her it isn’t. Granted me and my wife use our covid leave around Sachs others work days, she can’t deny if wanted to use it together. I had a copy printed and stored in my backpack in case she attempts anything else regarding that. Sorry Seadogg.
thanks 1 user thanked Ihatemanagement for this useful post.
postalvet on 6/30/2020(UTC)
Seadogg  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:58:22 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 458 post(s)
Just an update to this. My manager contacted the HR manager to see if what she wanted to do was legal or enforceable. Unfortunately for her it isn’t. Granted me and my wife use our covid leave around Sachs others work days, she can’t deny if wanted to use it together. I had a copy printed and stored in my backpack in case she attempts anything else regarding that. Sorry Seadogg.

Sorry I had forgotten about this thread. From the FAQ available on liteblue:

What documentation do I need to provide to receive the FMLA benefit if I am caring for a
child whose school or child care provider is closed is considered a qualifying reason for
paid FMLA leave?
Documentation is required, and should include:
 Employee’s name;
 Date(s) for which leave is requested; and
 Qualifying reason for the leave (care for child);
 Oral or written statement that the Employee is unable to work because of the qualified reason for leave.
 Name of the Son or Daughter being cared for;
 Name of the School, Place of Care, or Child Care Provider that has closed or become unavailable; and
 An oral or written statement that no other suitable person will be caring for the Son or Daughter during the period for
which the Employee takes Paid Sick Leave or Expanded Family and Medical Leave.

That last bit seems pretty clear to me. I'm pretty sure you'd be putting both your jobs in jeopardy by having both spouses sign that documentation. And even if you did get away with it, it is in my opinion quite unethical. The covid benefits were created for those who really need them, not to get extra vacation time.
thanks 3 users thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
Kickjump on 6/30/2020(UTC), Wicked cool guy on 6/30/2020(UTC), MPE2009 on 6/30/2020(UTC)
Kickjump  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:10:48 PM(UTC)
Kickjump

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Lol oh my. So let me get this straight.. you have an open EEO on a manager that you’re getting ready to either verbally inform or given written statement that you have NO other childcare alternative besides use of covid leave/dependent leave and your wife also is going to do the same.... for the same days? .... what that manager didn’t tell you is they’re prolly going to let you guys hang yourself in Fmla fraud
Wicked cool guy  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:27:15 PM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I mean, I love getting free money from management, but I wouldn't lie to do it.
It sounds like you were honest and they simply don't understand the rules, on which case you are all set, but if they ask either of you to certify that nobody else can care for the kids, do not lie.
Ihatemanagement  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:31:38 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post

Sorry I had forgotten about this thread. From the FAQ available on liteblue:

What documentation do I need to provide to receive the FMLA benefit if I am caring for a
child whose school or child care provider is closed is considered a qualifying reason for
paid FMLA leave?
Documentation is required, and should include:
 Employee’s name;
 Date(s) for which leave is requested; and
 Qualifying reason for the leave (care for child);
 Oral or written statement that the Employee is unable to work because of the qualified reason for leave.
 Name of the Son or Daughter being cared for;
 Name of the School, Place of Care, or Child Care Provider that has closed or become unavailable; and
 An oral or written statement that no other suitable person will be caring for the Son or Daughter during the period for
which the Employee takes Paid Sick Leave or Expanded Family and Medical Leave.

That last bit seems pretty clear to me. I'm pretty sure you'd be putting both your jobs in jeopardy by having both spouses sign that documentation. And even if you did get away with it, it is in my opinion quite unethical. The covid benefits were created for those who really need them, not to get extra vacation time.

This issue we were having is me taking covid leave on my wife’s non schedule day. She would argue and say well she’s off so she should be home watching the child. Although logical, doctors appointments, shopping, and other things needed to be done and she wasn’t going to take our child with her so I needed to be there. No where in the documentation do either of us need to explain that. Again, neither of us are taking covid at the same time but it getting confirmation from the HR manager on the topic was what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by: Kickjump Go to Quoted Post
Lol oh my. So let me get this straight.. you have an open EEO on a manager that you’re getting ready to either verbally inform or given written statement that you have NO other childcare alternative besides use of covid leave/dependent leave and your wife also is going to do the same.... for the same days? .... what that manager didn’t tell you is they’re prolly going to let you guys hang yourself in Fmla fraud

We aren’t using the leave at the same time. The entire point of this thread was me verifying if she could do it or not. Before the revised version that seadogg posted, any employee could take the leave regardless of who was home. Also, this manager is very smart and it’s obvious that it’s her prerogative to get us on something. We’ve been a step ahead of her for a while now.

Digressing, but this same manager just told me I couldn’t work overtime on Friday because offices are closed and the planes aren’t flying out. I haven’t reached my 60 hours yet and according to the MOU signed regarding MPAs( emergency help), they have to give FTRs and current pses 60 hours. There are five in my section. I know offices are open Friday and I know there will be collections which means they’ll process that mail on tour 3. Tour 3 needs overtime daily and they could use me like they have been for the last several months. I’m actually surprised she came up with that lie to begin with.

Originally Posted by: Wicked cool guy Go to Quoted Post
I mean, I love getting free money from management, but I wouldn't lie to do it.
It sounds like you were honest and they simply don't understand the rules, on which case you are all set, but if they ask either of you to certify that nobody else can care for the kids, do not lie.

I believe this is what she was referring to( the updated documentation). We’ve never turned in covid leave for the same days. We are using to help with flexibility around the house which has been helpful.

Edited by user Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:46:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ihatemanagement for this useful post.
Wicked cool guy on 7/2/2020(UTC)
Kickjump  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:10:58 PM(UTC)
Kickjump

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Seems like the more you’ve read into the use of the covid leave you’ve found ways to circumvent the system. Originally you were questioning “why you both couldn’t be approved together And why should it matter” now magically you say “oh I mean one is NS and the other would use the dependent leave” I mean best of luck to you and God hope you won’t actually need that 80 hours later on to take care of someone in your family for Covid related issues.
Ihatemanagement  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 4:14:17 PM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Seems like the more you’ve read into the use of the covid leave you’ve found ways to circumvent the system. Originally you were questioning “why you both couldn’t be approved together And why should it matter” now magically you say “oh I mean one is NS and the other would use the dependent leave” I mean best of luck to you and God hope you won’t actually need that 80 hours later on to take care of someone in your family for Covid related issues.

At the beginning of this thread I wasn’t aware that they had amended the Q&A pertaining to how we take leave. Once seadogg mentioned it, I researched and found the updated checklist on liteblue. So it wasn’t me trying to circumvent rather try to understand the rules regarding covid leave that I was ignorant to.

Covid leave is considered fmla. You get 440 hours, not just the 80. I’ve hardly touched my covid leave as my wife was home for most of last school year. If schools decide to do a hybrid system or Stay home then we will switch and I’ll be the one teaching and taking care of our child.

Also, if I’m taking leave in ways that are allowable by law then I’m not circumventing anything. The leave was given to me to use as I need for my family.

Edited by user Thursday, July 2, 2020 4:17:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Seadogg  
#29 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 2:51:45 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 458 post(s)

At the beginning of this thread I wasn’t aware that they had amended the Q&A pertaining to how we take leave. Once seadogg mentioned it, I researched and found the updated checklist on liteblue. So it wasn’t me trying to circumvent rather try to understand the rules regarding covid leave that I was ignorant to.

Covid leave is considered fmla. You get 440 hours, not just the 80. I’ve hardly touched my covid leave as my wife was home for most of last school year. If schools decide to do a hybrid system or Stay home then we will switch and I’ll be the one teaching and taking care of our child.

Also, if I’m taking leave in ways that are allowable by law then I’m not circumventing anything. The leave was given to me to use as I need for my family.

You are most certainly circumventing the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Of course, more time off of any sort is always beneficial for your family.

If they "amended" that FAQ it was a long time ago. It's been like that for at least the last few months.
Ihatemanagement  
#30 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 3:34:10 PM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post

You are most certainly circumventing the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Of course, more time off of any sort is always beneficial for your family.

If they "amended" that FAQ it was a long time ago. It's been like that for at least the last few months.

I wasn’t aware because management nor the apwu made us aware of the changes until my manager decided to require certain things which were found to be within her power. Unfortunately for her, the postal service( at least in my district) won’t be using this as a way to fire or punish people. You’ve quoted/read the letter and what we are doing isn’t circumventing it whatsoever. Maybe you should tell my manager to write us up for circumventing the spirit of the law. I wonder how far that would go in the grievance process before being thrown out.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed