Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Small Potato  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:15:43 AM(UTC)
Small Potato

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

I am a term employee at USGS. When my term was over, and without discussion, my personnel file was loaded with a SF-50 that extended my term for 6 months. That extension is coming to an end in two weeks and I’d rather not stay. How do I properly go about letting my superiors know that I want leave—for good? Is a resignation in order or a simple email? Thanks for the clarification, in advance.
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:53:51 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 294 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Small Potato Go to Quoted Post
I am a term employee at USGS. When my term was over, and without discussion, my personnel file was loaded with a SF-50 that extended my term for 6 months. That extension is coming to an end in two weeks and I’d rather not stay. How do I properly go about letting my superiors know that I want leave—for good? Is a resignation in order or a simple email? Thanks for the clarification, in advance.

I’d recommend simply telling your supervisor that you don’t want to be extended, and you plan to move on to different opportunities at the end of the current extension. Worse case, submit a resignation effective same day your current term is scheduled to end.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
Small Potato on 7/2/2020(UTC)
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 3:18:24 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 938 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Small Potato Go to Quoted Post
I am a term employee at USGS. When my term was over, and without discussion, my personnel file was loaded with a SF-50 that extended my term for 6 months.
Just out of curiosity... how long was the original term for?

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Small Potato on 7/4/2020(UTC)
Small Potato  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 8:41:44 PM(UTC)
Small Potato

Woman
United States

My original term was one year.
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 12:21:56 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Are you taking another federal job? If so, do NOT resign. You'll want to transfer, with no break in service.

And, btw, if your original term was for less than one year and one day, you were on a temporary contract. When you were extended, you became a Term employee. That makes a LOT of difference in terms of benefits and a couple of other things. Nevertheless, if you're taking another federal job, make sure that you transfer, and not resign.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
Small Potato on 7/4/2020(UTC)
FS0201  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 1:58:55 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 294 time(s) in 258 post(s)
It doesn’t sound like OP is transferring, rather just not wanting to continue on term.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 2:09:58 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 938 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
And, btw, if your original term was for less than one year and one day, you were on a temporary contract. When you were extended, you became a Term employee. That makes a LOT of difference in terms of benefits and a couple of other things
That's why I was wondering what the original period of employment was.

Is that correct, that if you go past 365 days you become "term?"

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
GWPDA  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 4:46:21 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 439 post(s)
"Is that correct, that if you go past 365 days you become "term?" "

As far as I know, no. If you go past 365 days you'll have just started a new temporary contract. Each of the kinds of employment are separate and by and large can't slide into another one. There are term employments where in the original announcement there can be a sentence saying that the appointment 'may' be converted to permanent, career, but otherwise, if you're hired as a term employee, you're a term employee. A temporary appointment is temporary. A career position is career.
mallen  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 9:12:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Send an email to your boss and coworkers that says something like "Thank you very much for the chance to learn and grow and interact with wonderful people! My temporary appointment is now bearings its end and i am moving on to other opportunities. I wish you all the best!"

Then if they renew you, you just tell your boss that you already have something arranged.

Boss: "we've extended you!"

You: "Im so sorry, I wish I would have known. But I ive already made plans."

Boss: "Id hoped you stay on..."

You: "Unfortunately, considering the uncertainty I just can't. The job market is rough and is just going to get worse and I need something more stable."

Boss: "I might be able to swing you a permanent position"

You: "It pays more"

Boss: "how much does it pay. Maybe we can match it."

You: "Its you. Im leaving to get away."

Boss: "tell me what it is that im doing. Maybe its just a misunderstanding."

You: "Your ugly, you smell. I have have fantasies about stabbing you with a letter opener. Im leaving before I violate the workplace violence policy and end up in prison."

Boss: "Think about this honestly, what can we do to make you stay?"

You: "Im grabbing the letter opener...."

Rss Feed  Atom Feed