Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gperz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:31:15 PM(UTC)
gperz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hubs and I are both retired USDA, and in our 70s. We are so darn frustrated. We mailed our paper return on Feb 26. It's going on 5 months now.. I’m sick of the in my face not so subtle “We told you” you should have E-filed articles and info. Our income is simple: FERS, CSRS, Soc Sec, and small TSP monthly withdrawals. But in total, we still exceed the Free File income limit. I refuse to pay a tax preparer, or buy software we don’t need, just so that we have access to e-file, at their fees and costs. If IRS wants more participation in E-file, make it universally accessible at NO COST. I can get no information whatsoever from “Where’s My Refund?” So, how much staffing has even been restored? Is anyone at all back to work to handle paper returns? Ferris? Ferris?
ashulein  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:10:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Just to be clear, this forum is not for your personal tax issues and as a retired federal employee I would hope that you would understand/respect that. In turn, the only reason I am responding to you now is as a courtesy. Everything I could possibly have to say is going to be included in the links I will provide. It a report to Congress from National Taxpayer Advocate Service and if you truly want a better idea of the state of the IRS, at the moment, I would encourage you to read it.

https://taxpayeradvocate...-to-congress/full-report

https://taxpayeradvocate...021-JRC/JRC21_SAO_02.pdf

*The specific part I believe you are looking for is on page 20 of the second link
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 7/11/2020(UTC)
EagleDog  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 5:38:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 190 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashulein Go to Quoted Post
Just to be clear, this forum is not for your personal tax issues

To be clear. Relax. It's a fair question :)
Especially from one fed to another.
The question is not really about "personal tax issues".
More of a general inquiry about the current staffing situation at your agency.

:
Don't be ashamed of your postal career.
:
kitkatma  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 9:02:18 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Well as a current IRS Employee, I find this heartless. Especially coming from fellow federal employees.

There is currently a health pandemic going on right now.

And there are options for free efiling for those whose income is over $69,000 on irs.gov.
thanks 3 users thanked kitkatma for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 7/11/2020(UTC), Payla1112 on 7/12/2020(UTC), SnarkyWitch on 7/20/2020(UTC)
scottyd27  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:22:06 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gperz Go to Quoted Post
Hubs and I are both retired USDA, and in our 70s. We are so darn frustrated. We mailed our paper return on Feb 26. It's going on 5 months now.. I’m sick of the in my face not so subtle “We told you” you should have E-filed articles and info. Our income is simple: FERS, CSRS, Soc Sec, and small TSP monthly withdrawals. But in total, we still exceed the Free File income limit. I refuse to pay a tax preparer, or buy software we don’t need, just so that we have access to e-file, at their fees and costs. If IRS wants more participation in E-file, make it universally accessible at NO COST. I can get no information whatsoever from “Where’s My Refund?” So, how much staffing has even been restored? Is anyone at all back to work to handle paper returns? Ferris? Ferris?

First of as a current IRS employee and one Fed to Another. This post is rude and you are grossly misinformed.

In case you have been living in cave for the last six month, there’s is a pandemic and all services centers were people that file taxes like its 1919 send their paper returns (maybe chisel it in stone) have been evacuated since the middle of March.. that means your return is sitting on a dock waiting until the IRS employees are allowed back into process them.

Secondly, the staff that has been at work were tasked by Congress and the president to send 185 million economic impact payments.

That no only entailed sending people that were compliant their money, but make computer systems designed in the 1960s talk to VA and SSA to get the non-filers their payments to.

I don’t work in a service center I’m a field officer. But I take umbrage that you as a federal annuitant would post like this.

So I’ll speak for the people that do the opening of mail and processing the returns of people who file like it’s 1919.

We are so sorry Th at during a national emergency that we have gotten to your specific return. We have been a little busy doing the impossible and making things happen for the entire United States. But we didn’t have time to comb through the mail facility to find your return.

Oh, and you can get tax act and file your return electronically for about 20 bucks. Sorry that you make over the free file limit and are to hard up to spend 20 bucks.

Think about that next year.

Oh by the way, Incase that’s not in your face enough.

YOU SHOULDVE EFILED

Edited by user Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:30:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 7/11/2020(UTC), Payla1112 on 7/12/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/13/2020(UTC), SnarkyWitch on 7/20/2020(UTC)
teeeeej  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:26:11 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 38 post(s)
To be fair, Scotty, if people didn't file returns the archaic way, a lot of those transcribers would need to find a new job.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
EagleDog on 7/11/2020(UTC)
scottyd27  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:32:18 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
To be fair, Scotty, if people didn't file returns the archaic way, a lot of those transcribers would need to find a new job.

I agree. But this lady was way out of line.

But she made her choice. Honestly I wouldn’t expect the refund before the end of the year.

And this isn’t a place to come and air personal tax business.
scottyd27  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:36:28 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Also I am admittedly a little protective of service center employees.

If you ever visited a service center and got a tour you know why
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 7/11/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/13/2020(UTC)
EagleDog  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:46:48 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
First of as a current IRS employee and one Fed to Another. This post is rude and you are grossly misinformed.

In case you have been living in cave for the last six month, there’s is a pandemic and all services centers were people that file taxes like its 1919 send their paper returns (maybe chisel it in stone) have been evacuated since the middle of March.. that means your return is sitting on a dock waiting until the IRS employees are allowed back into process them.

Secondly, the staff that has been at work were tasked by Congress and the president to send 185 million economic impact payments.

That no only entailed sending people that were compliant their money, but make computer systems designed in the 1960s talk to VA and SSA to get the non-filers their payments to.

I don’t work in a service center I’m a field officer. But I take umbrage that you as a federal annuitant would post like this.

So I’ll speak for the people that do the opening of mail and processing the returns of people who file like it’s 1919.

We are so sorry Th at during a national emergency that we have gotten to your specific return. We have been a little busy doing the impossible and making things happen for the entire United States. But we didn’t have time to comb through the mail facility to find your return.

Oh, and you can get tax act and file your return electronically for about 20 bucks. Sorry that you make over the free file limit and are to hard up to spend 20 bucks.

YOU SHOULDVE EFILED

Wow. Just wow.
Easy to see why you are one of the least-popular federal agencies :)
Hopefully your attitude is the exception and not the rule.

:
:
EagleDog  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 5:58:27 AM(UTC)

For what it's worth, lots of different feds hang out at Federal Soup.
For the most part, they stay in their own lane.
Sometimes straying with a comment or question in another forum/agency.

For example, I mostly hang out at the Postal Employees forum.
It mostly deals with internal postal issues and shop talk. Inside baseball. Postal employees only kinda stuff.
Occasionally another fed will drop by with a mail delivery problem or some kind of personal issue with the PO.
No big deal.
They usually get the answer they're looking for without being scolded or chastised.
After all, we're all basically part of the same fed family.

I guess I'll scurry back to my proper forum and hang out with my own kind :)
:
:
scottyd27  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:14:35 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Well my friend, when the OP posted that she could’ve been a little more polite and realize that there is a lot happening. Moral of the story is E-file.

We don’t have the staff in the service center right now. There’s a national emergency.

Again, we are doing the best we can with no staffing.

And yes we are all feds which is why the tone of the OP is BS.

And again I really wouldn’t expect a refund until end of the year.

Again E-file is always an options

And honestly people’s opinion of me does matter to me in the least.

Im a Revenue Officer I am the one that collect delinquent taxes. I’m very immune to people’s feelings or opinions.

Edited by user Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:18:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 7/11/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/13/2020(UTC), gardenia on 7/20/2020(UTC)
scottyd27  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:22:46 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Also FYI. Just Friday we go some instructions regard the People First Initiative.

And mail will start being processed Monday.

Boop!  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:41:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi OP!

I work at one of the Submission Processing Centers. Where did you send your return?

I ask because depending on where it was sent will determine how fast it is processed. Places that opened up in April and May have already processed a lot of the workload and your return should be in the pipeline. However, if you submitted your return to a processing center that opened up in June or July, it may be sometime before it gets worked on.

I can say that at my department we are committed to getting people's work through the process.

I know it sucks, but bear in mind we shutdown near our peak (April 15th). So there was already a lot of work to be done. We are also limited by CDC guidelines and we can only have a certain number of staff working the inventory at a time.

It's not an excuse and we are trying!

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
EagleDog on 7/11/2020(UTC), bncounter on 7/11/2020(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 2:06:00 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I discovered I can efile and still print a paper return. I modernized with a thumb drive to store data but somehow I feel the need to store printed paper returns.

Since you posted a question its obvious you have net access.

E-filing is something to look into. Ask family, friends, neighbors, etc for help to learn how. Dare yourself to learn new things.
thanks 1 user thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
SnarkyWitch on 7/20/2020(UTC)
bncounter  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:40:33 PM(UTC)
bncounter

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

YOU SHOULDVE EFILED

Maybe I'm in the minority or people are just so easily offended these days but I personally don't see anything wrong with OP's post. And I'm speaking as a current Fed employee myself.

When reading OP's post, all I heard was frustration along with a little bit of sarcasm -- perhaps the sarcasm was unnecessary. Maybe OP has been misinformed on what's going on nationally or perhaps she was not aware of the impact of IRS staffing from the pandemic. I'm sure each of us have experienced our own frustrations and expressed it in various ways that was not necessarily agreeable to others. I'm not saying that I agree with OP but at the same time let's not get all up in arms either. If the IRS has not communicated to the public that there's going to be delay in the processing of paper returns, then it's safe for the public to at least have a reasonable expectation of timely processing of their tax refunds processed in a reasonable time. It's been nearly 5 months since their return was processed.....I think the "reasonable time" to get their refund has long past. Just my two cents.
thanks 1 user thanked bncounter for this useful post.
EagleDog on 7/12/2020(UTC)
Boop!  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2020 2:31:26 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bncounter Go to Quoted Post

If the IRS has not communicated to the public that there's going to be delay in the processing of paper returns, then it's safe for the public to at least have a reasonable expectation of timely processing of their tax refunds processed in a reasonable time. It's been nearly 5 months since their return was processed.....I think the "reasonable time" to get their refund has long past. Just my two cents.

I agree with this. The IRS could have done a better job of communicating potential delays to taxpayers. Under the July 15th filing deadline post on the IRS website it says:

Quote:
The IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible. Most tax refunds are still being issued within 21 days.

Hmmmm......Are they referring to electronic filed returns or paper cause I don't think that's true for paper! The messaging is unclear.It leads to a lot of frustration when the official word is 21 days but you've been waiting 5 months and still no word. A banner on the website with messaging about expecting delays would help with this.

I personally believe the messaging around penalties and interest has been unclear. The IRS website says:

Quote:
Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.

But the People First PDF says the following:

Quote:
In the meantime, the interest and penalties continued to accrue on their debts.

Quote:
The IRS suspended payments due on existing installment agreements (IAs) between April 1, 2020,
and July 15, 2020; however, interest continues to accrue on any unpaid balances.

Huh? I get that the IRS will probably waive a lot of these penalties, but it's just so muddy and confusing. So I can empathize with the OP's post.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
EagleDog on 7/12/2020(UTC)
scottyd27  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 3:03:11 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

All the OPs questions could’ve been answered by looking at IRS.GOV..

Second I am not offended, I was annoyed.

All the calls I get lately are from friends and ‘family’ hoping I can love them to the front of the line. I don’t work in processing and even if I did I couldn’t.

The OP could’ve avoided all this by filing electronically. Specifically the free file options for people over 69k in income.
Minute instead she chose to come to an inappropriate place and bash my agency.

We have only issued 200 million payments to people, with limited staff. That was the priority as congress passed a law the president signed the law and then the president directed the agency on what to do.

So if someone that doesn’t want to e-file and then wants to complain they need to call their congress human and their senators
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
kitkatma on 7/13/2020(UTC)
Boop!  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 11:45:01 AM(UTC)

Hubs and I are both retired USDA, and in our 70s. We are so darn frustrated. We mailed our paper return on Feb 26.

I really think some of you are ultra sensitive and can't take criticism.

1. The OP is in her 70s- people in that age group tend to file paper returns. Screaming "FILE ELECTRONICALLY!" doesn't really help.

2. The OP mailed her return on February 26th. Do you all remember what February 2020 was like? COVID-19 was still "just the flu" and everything was "normal". No one was expecting this to turn out the way it did (neither did the IRS!).

It's a difficult situation.

To the OP- I suggest calling again about the status. But be warned- if you sent your return to one of the processing centers that opened up in June or even July there has been no progress made and expect to get your refund by the end of the year.

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
bncounter on 7/13/2020(UTC), EagleDog on 7/13/2020(UTC)
bncounter  
#19 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 12:36:36 PM(UTC)
bncounter

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
All the OPs questions could’ve been answered by looking at IRS.GOV..

Second I am not offended, I was annoyed.

All the calls I get lately are from friends and ‘family’ hoping I can love them to the front of the line. I don’t work in processing and even if I did I couldn’t.

The OP could’ve avoided all this by filing electronically. Specifically the free file options for people over 69k in income.
Minute instead she chose to come to an inappropriate place and bash my agency.

We have only issued 200 million payments to people, with limited staff. That was the priority as congress passed a law the president signed the law and then the president directed the agency on what to do.

So if someone that doesn’t want to e-file and then wants to complain they need to call their congress human and their senators

Well, it sounds like you're finding OP at fault for not e-filing. Last I check, paper filing is still an alternative way of filing according to the IRS's website. But even with paper filing, the processing time is officially 6-8 weeks per the website although there is a message on the website that states that the processing of paper returns can take much longer due to staffing issues. I will you give you that. But I found that disclaimer after having to diligently search for it. It's not prominently displayed at the IRS's home page which most people are going to land when they're trying to do some research at the IRS's website. And given the OP's age (sounds like she's in her 70s), she may may or may not have the time to search the entire website just to get notice that her paper filed return is going to be delayed due to staffing issues. Honestly, you really need to cut her some slack here. I appreciate the work that you do at the IRS and I know it's a thankless job at times -- despite taxpayers having to deal with long wait times with the occasional rude phone agents that like to treat the taxpayers with a level of distain (like you're showing to OP's posting). But you also need to be a bit understanding for what the taxpayer is dealing with too. At the end of the day, she's a taxpayer and you have a job because of people like her.
thanks 1 user thanked bncounter for this useful post.
EagleDog on 7/13/2020(UTC)
chriswt25  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 1:01:54 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)
It states right at the top of the of this page This is NOT the place to ask tax questions. DUH

As far as anyone that *****es and moans about the IRS, no agency comes close to being tasked with more BS handed to them whenever the Feds decide to have new programs implemented. ACA, stimulus payments, ETC ETC ETC. on top of the work they are there to do. All this with severe manpower issues and antiquated systems.

I doubt there is any agency where tax law can change on a daily basis, and the employees are required to absorb and implement them without proper training or direction. The CSR employees are grossly underpaid, considering the realm of their responsibilities.

So when someone creates 2 separate threads for the same subject, which explicitly ignore the rules of the site, I don't blame the responses the OP and other Feds received from people who work for the IRS.

thanks 2 users thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
scottyd27 on 7/14/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/15/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed