Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ADIDASguy1080  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:21:55 AM(UTC)
ADIDASguy1080

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Federal Soup Team,

Good morning! I have a question for you concerning a situation of mine.

Background: I'm a GS-13 in a permanent billet, about 5yrs on the fed side after 5yrs in the Marine Corps prior to that. I currently work for an IC agency.

I'm processing for a position with another agency that usually takes a year or more to transfer into - there are physical and other tests that I have to take over the course of that year.

While I am waiting for that opportunity to come to fruition, I am considering taking a different billet that seems like it would be fun in the waiting time. HOWEVER, the 'rub' is that the 'waiting-time' position I am considering is a term-hire position NTE 2 years. No one has return rights - it is just an overhire position that can be made permanent in the future without competition, or so the vacancy announcement says.

My question: If I take the temp position, can I transfer to another agency after that and maintain my status as a permanent/status employee and my grade/step?

I know it's somewhat complicated... let me know if I didn't explain things clearly.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
BOPDentist  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:02:47 AM(UTC)
BOPDentist

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
It seems you are trying/working towards an FBI position (maybe SA).

In this interim period, if I were in similar shoes, I'd stay right where I am versus move into to a temp position and complicate the picture with this extra variable. But that's me. Because the current GS-13 permanent billet that you are in affords you stability.
ADIDASguy1080  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:24:39 AM(UTC)
ADIDASguy1080

Originally Posted by: BOPDentist Go to Quoted Post
It seems you are trying/working towards an FBI position (maybe SA).

In this interim period, if I were in similar shoes, I'd stay right where I am versus move into to a temp position and complicate the picture with this extra variable. But that's me. Because the current GS-13 permanent billet that you are in affords you stability.

BOP, you are correct. It is the SA pipeline.

I appreciate your feedback! That is definitely an attractive option - stay where I am. You are right that it afford stability. I will say that the term-hire position is much more interesting, so I have to weigh that - sitting in a job for another year that is stable, but boring.

Thanks!
BOPDentist  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:35:45 AM(UTC)
BOPDentist

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Then in such cases, go with your gut! We only live once! So might as well do what the heart desires.

As far as you losing permanent status if you went into this Term position, may you would (am guessing here).
But you would always retain the tenure (permanent vs. career conditional) you have for the agency from where you have earned it.
With regards to grade/step, you may retain that as well if you were to apply to similar positions in the future. But if you go to a downgraded position, then you may not retain it specifically for that position (I think).
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:20:54 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ADIDASguy1080 Go to Quoted Post
Federal Soup Team,

Good morning! I have a question for you concerning a situation of mine.

Background: I'm a GS-13 in a permanent billet, about 5yrs on the fed side after 5yrs in the Marine Corps prior to that. I currently work for an IC agency.

I'm processing for a position with another agency that usually takes a year or more to transfer into - there are physical and other tests that I have to take over the course of that year.

While I am waiting for that opportunity to come to fruition, I am considering taking a different billet that seems like it would be fun in the waiting time. HOWEVER, the 'rub' is that the 'waiting-time' position I am considering is a term-hire position NTE 2 years. No one has return rights - it is just an overhire position that can be made permanent in the future without competition, or so the vacancy announcement says.

My question: If I take the temp position, can I transfer to another agency after that and maintain my status as a permanent/status employee and my grade/step?

I know it's somewhat complicated... let me know if I didn't explain things clearly.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

I went from a permanent position to a 4-year term position after about 20 years of service. The term had the same language about potentially being converted to permanent without further competition. You will almost certainly lose your status as "permanent." But, if you have already attained career status in the competitive service, you do not lose that status or the ability to apply for or be reassigned to another position. I later applied and was selected for another permanent position. The risk is that there are no guarantees. The term could expire without you having obtained another position if the other position does not work out. In my case, it worked out, but there was no guarantee it would. Best of luck to you.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
ADIDASguy1080 on 7/29/2020(UTC)
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:46:52 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 938 time(s) in 788 post(s)
I know someone who works for HHS which is getting a ton of COVID money and opening up a ton of "Temp" and "Term" positions. I wonder if all those temp and term positions will expire at the same time and all those folks will be scrambling for permanent spots.

Just a thought to add to the mix... anyway I think the idea of staying right where you are until the other job comes through is the right plan. No need to go through a lot of onboarding at one place just to go through it all over again when the other job comes through, not to mention the possibility of some kind of furlough or cutbacks that will affect 'term' employees before permanent.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:47:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: polishing the verbal turd

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
ADIDASguy1080  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:46:27 PM(UTC)
ADIDASguy1080

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

I went from a permanent position to a 4-year term position after about 20 years of service. The term had the same language about potentially being converted to permanent without further competition. You will almost certainly lose your status as "permanent." But, if you have already attained career status in the competitive service, you do not lose that status or the ability to apply for or be reassigned to another position. I later applied and was selected for another permanent position. The risk is that there are no guarantees. The term could expire without you having obtained another position if the other position does not work out. In my case, it worked out, but there was no guarantee it would. Best of luck to you.

Orange,

Thanks - that's a big help! I know I will lose my 'permanent' status, but as you stated, I want to be sure that I don't lose my career status in the competitive service. In a year and a half when I start looking for another job, I want to know if I would still be considered a Federal Employee with status when I apply, or if I turn into Joe Shmoe off the street applying to the open vacancies.

I know it would be wiser for me just to stay in my current gig. Trust me, I wouldn't even be bringing this question to you guys if there wasn't good reason for it. My current gig is very boring, and the FBI gig that I'm looking to get into (Special Agent) might take one year, or it might take three years - their hiring process is long and arduous. So I am don't want to sit in a job I'm unhappy with for an indeterminate amount of time.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed