Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hello-all  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:28:51 PM(UTC)
Hello-all

Groups: Registered
United States

Are there any Military Concepts and Doctrine Development jobs at the entry level? I study military and strategic studies. Job Search turned up almost nothing. Since the Coronavirus is happening, I don't know if I may be looking for a unicorn or not.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 3:50:49 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1069 time(s) in 850 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hello-all Go to Quoted Post
Are there any Military Concepts and Doctrine Development jobs at the entry level? I study military and strategic studies. Job Search turned up almost nothing. Since the Coronavirus is happening, I don't know if I may be looking for a unicorn or not.
Yes..they start at the Junior NCO level, and if you have a degree, O-1 level (either 2nd LT or Ensign depending if you are land based or water based).

Much of the civilian positions doing that type of work that I saw were senior folks (GS13 and above) and were all prior active duty.

I think this is an example of this is a subject you want to learn vs one that leads directly to a career (like with engineering).

A degree in general can assist in some jobs that have no specific educational requirements at the entry level, and some degrees are not really useful in the civil service without direct experience as well.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
0018 Hopeful on 7/27/2020(UTC)
0018 Hopeful  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 12:54:38 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 44 post(s)
You always have the best answers!
Hello-all  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:12:12 PM(UTC)
Hello-all

United States

Thank you. I appreciate the candor.
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:38:49 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 439 post(s)
You do realise that you are a civilian, right?
Hello-all  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:21:26 PM(UTC)
Hello-all

United States

I'm sorry, I should have explained myself.

I do know I am a civilian, but it is not by choice. I was a college graduate three weeks from a scheduled meeting with a recruiter to join the Air Force when I became disabled.

I decided three years ago to try and contribute in an important way to the troops that fit my mental strengths.

Since then, I was published twice by the US Army Fires Center of Excellence in regards to field artillery. I am being published twice by the US Army Aviation Center of Excellence in regards to air assaults. I have been recently published on amphibious operations by the Marine Corps University Press, and I am to be published with them again on the subject of amphibious operations. I am also going to be published by the US Army Maneuver Center of Excellence on the potential use of powered exoskeletons by infantrymen. I have another work in review with them concerning a new armored vehicle tactic. I am writing a third work on overcoming the threat of Russian armored units by US Army infantry units to submit to Infantry Magazine in time.

I hope to translate my skill with difficult future military concepts into a job for the Department of Defense. I'm still figuring out how I can help.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 5:13:01 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1069 time(s) in 850 post(s)
I'm sorry, I should have explained myself.

I do know I am a civilian, but it is not by choice. I was a college graduate three weeks from a scheduled meeting with a recruiter to join the Air Force when I became disabled.

I decided three years ago to try and contribute in an important way to the troops that fit my mental strengths.

Since then, I was published twice by the US Army Fires Center of Excellence in regards to field artillery. I am being published twice by the US Army Aviation Center of Excellence in regards to air assaults. I have been recently published on amphibious operations by the Marine Corps University Press, and I am to be published with them again on the subject of amphibious operations. I am also going to be published by the US Army Maneuver Center of Excellence on the potential use of powered exoskeletons by infantrymen. I have another work in review with them concerning a new armored vehicle tactic. I am writing a third work on overcoming the threat of Russian armored units by US Army infantry units to submit to Infantry Magazine in time.

I hope to translate my skill with difficult future military concepts into a job for the Department of Defense. I'm still figuring out how I can help.
Consider getting a PMP certification and look for DARPA positions.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Hello-all on 7/31/2020(UTC)
FatHappyCat  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 7:09:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 99 post(s)

Since then, I was published twice by the US Army Fires Center of Excellence in regards to field artillery.

I'm a career FA guy - do you happen to have a copy or a link of the articles? Or even just a general basic idea of what the topic was on? No one to talk FA with anymore around here these days...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed