Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
173 Pages«<170171172173>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MerGr3y  
#3421 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:01:59 AM(UTC)
MerGr3y

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AlecN Go to Quoted Post
Question about the background investigation and suitability:

I recently contacted my background investigator and she said she had already submitted her report. I'm fairly optimistic, but nothing is for sure until I get the official job offer, preference sheet, and a school date. After background investigator told me that she submitted it, I reached out to my suitability contact. He said it was still in process as of May 5th, 2 and a half months ago, but will adjudicate as soon as he receives it and is able. He also said that due to covid, the suitability review team hasn't met because they "only meet in person to conduct reviews". Is there anyone else in this same situation and waiting for adjudication and review? Has anyone been here already and know of a "possible" timeline?

Again, due to covid, I am not chomping at the bit anymore and not expecting a lot of movement anytime soon. I'm staying positive and I hope that everyone else is too. Stay safe, get lots of sun, and make sure that you and your loved ones are taking lots of vitamin D. Google it if you don't know why.

When did your BI submit the report? Mine was submitted at the end of March, and when I followed up with HR they told me it can take up to a year for the final decision.

luckydevil  
#3422 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:06:40 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 94 post(s)

I recently contacted my background investigator and she said she had already submitted her report. I'm fairly optimistic, but nothing is for sure until I get the official job offer, preference sheet, and a school date. After background investigator told me that she submitted it, I reached out to my suitability contact. He said it was still in process as of May 5th, 2 and a half months ago, but will adjudicate as soon as he receives it and is able. He also said that due to covid, the suitability review team hasn't met because they "only meet in person to conduct reviews". Is there anyone else in this same situation and waiting for adjudication and review? Has anyone been here already and know of a "possible" timeline?

Again, due to covid, I am not chomping at the bit anymore and not expecting a lot of movement anytime soon. I'm staying positive and I hope that everyone else is too. Stay safe, get lots of sun, and make sure that you and your loved ones are taking lots of vitamin D. Google it if you don't know why.

Mine only took about a month and half to clear the hiring board with final review, but understand this was well before covid. They are all teleworking now so until they are given the go ahead for in person work you may be waiting much longer just so they can reconvene. Hopefully sooner then later! Best of luck!
MerGr3y  
#3423 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:16:38 AM(UTC)
MerGr3y

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post

Mine only took about a month and half to clear the hiring board with final review, but understand this was well before covid. They are all teleworking now so until they are given the go ahead for in person work you may be waiting much longer just so they can reconvene. Hopefully sooner then later! Best of luck!

Wow! I lived overseas so I have zero hope I could be so lucky but that's amazing!
luckydevil  
#3424 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 9:31:45 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Got some good news today. Officially cleared medical for the second time lol. All good to go again. Hopefully I’m in a class before medical expires a second time lol!
thanks 2 users thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
Vjurado on 7/17/2020(UTC), Candidate84 on 7/20/2020(UTC)
CaitieMFT  
#3425 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 10:34:48 AM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Got some good news today. Officially cleared medical for the second time lol. All good to go again. Hopefully I’m in a class before medical expires a second time lol!

Congrats! I know you’ve had a long wait, but hoping to see you in the field someday soon!
luckydevil  
#3426 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 10:36:20 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: CaitieMFT Go to Quoted Post

Congrats! I know you’ve had a long wait, but hoping to see you in the field someday soon!

Thanks! Here is hoping! I think I am the last one left from our group lol
thanks 1 user thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
CaitieMFT on 7/17/2020(UTC)
stimpy729  
#3427 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 2:09:16 PM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)

I am a case reviewer of BIs. There are many moving parts to the investigation in addition to the investigators report. You have to hope everyone cooperates and that the other orgs do their law checks promptly. The BI doesn’t have access to any reports once they submit them and they won’t know any status. Don’t call your investigator for updates :)

CharlesW0513  
#3428 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 5:38:59 PM(UTC)
CharlesW0513

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Is there anyone here that has accepted the job other than gearup? I’d like to see how others feel about the job. Maybe this will allow some of us to see the light at the end of the tunnel
CaitieMFT  
#3429 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 7:29:25 PM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Originally Posted by: CharlesW0513 Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyone here that has accepted the job other than gearup? I’d like to see how others feel about the job. Maybe this will allow some of us to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Yep, and I absolutely love my job. Feel free to PM me with questions you have.
agent05  
#3430 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 7:36:40 PM(UTC)
agent05

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Your inbox is full. So I will ask here and you can feel free to reply via PM

I'm waiting for background to start.... part of the recent grad announcement from Jan 2019 group. Can you shed some light as to why you say you love the job? I know its not true LEO or near what the 1811's do but I'm also curious as to what the job is truly like? Any and all info appreciated

work life balance?
mundane?
paperwork or mix of field work and paperwork?
office environment-good/bad?
G-Ride?
Creds?
Excitement?
GearUp  
#3431 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 9:57:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 633 time(s) in 211 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agent05 Go to Quoted Post

I'm waiting for background to start.... part of the recent grad announcement from Jan 2019 group. Can you shed some light as to why you say you love the job? I know its not true LEO or near what the 1811's do but I'm also curious as to what the job is truly like? Any and all info appreciated

work life balance?
mundane?
G-Ride?
Creds?
Excitement?

For me: I'm not a new hire. I've been at this for 20+ years and would do it another 20+ years if I'm able to.

Work life balance: Great. Mostly Monday - Friday 9 to 5 type job. Weekends and holidays off. There are times when you may have to work on a weekend or overtime. It depends on the case you're working.

Mundane: That's up to you. You can be a "only do what I have do to get by" or wait for cases to come to you or be assigned. Or you can be a go getter and go out and sniff out cases. It's all up to you.

Paperwork or mix: Its a mix. You can't work good cases from your desk. But there is a lot of paperwork. You have to write up your cases.

Office environment: That depends on you. Do you get along with people? Do you come off pushy, laid back, or open and easy going? Do you come off like a know it all or are you open to listening to and learning from the more experienced DIs? A lot does depend on the individual office and the people in it and the management. I can tell you I've never worked in a "bad" office.

G-ride: I don't understand the fascination or concern applicants have with the "G-ride." For some reason that never even entered my mind when I applied. But to answer your question - G-rides are available for official use while conducting your investigations. Some offices allow you to take it home on a pretty regular basis while other offices are more stringent in following the rules. The G-rides aren't supposed to be used to accommodate employees' transportation to/from home to work. Some offices stretch the rules while others don't. Depends on management - SAC, Program Manager and/or Supervisor - what the policy is for the individual divisions and offices. Being new to the office you may not get a vehicle assigned to you when you get there and you may have to share one. Depends on how many vehicles are available. I think you should be more concerned about getting the job than if you get a G-ride assigned or not. If having a G-ride assigned to you is a make or break for you then I suggest you not proceed in the process. You may be disappointed. But what do I know? I've only been doing this for 20+ years and have seen the vehicle policy change many times. I've always had one to do my job but not always to drive to/from home to work. The transportation to/from home to work isn't what the cars were intended for.

Creds: Yes you get credentials. You need credentials so you can properly and officially identify yourself when conducting investigations. We do not get badges. And we do not get guns.

Excitement: That depends on you. I wake up every day excited to go to work. If you're asking are the cases we work exciting I would say some are and some aren't. For me it's exciting when we execute warrants. Well the SAs and TFOs actually execute the warrant but we do the searches and seizures. Its exciting for me when I shut down a bad doctor or pharmacy. Its exciting for me when testifying in court and we get a conviction or a substantial civil fine. It's what you make of it. We have some routine and boring cases but we also have some that are exciting and fun. It's all up to you.

thanks 7 users thanked for this useful post.
luckydevil on 7/18/2020(UTC), Vjurado on 7/19/2020(UTC), centermass on 7/19/2020(UTC), TxChic on 7/19/2020(UTC), Candidate84 on 7/20/2020(UTC), MerGr3y on 7/20/2020(UTC), SATXNez on 7/27/2020(UTC)
GearUp  
#3432 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:02:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 633 time(s) in 211 post(s)

CaitieMFT,

Thanks for joining in on this forum. Its good to have another active DI to help me out. I wish more would join in so the applicants can get a better idea of what the job is really like. Thanks!!!

PM me if you want to chat.

Edited by user Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:03:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Vjurado on 7/19/2020(UTC)
CaitieMFT  
#3433 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 2:05:13 PM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Originally Posted by: agent05 Go to Quoted Post

work life balance?
mundane?
G-Ride?
Creds?
Excitement?

My fault, my inbox is now cleared out :). I have only been doing this about a year, so take my limited perspective with a grain of salt.

Work life balance: It's perfect for me. Generally I work 9-5, although there are times when I'm doing interviews or working with another DI, or even traveling that I have worked some overtime.

Mundane: Sure, there are times when I've been working on tedious reports or combing through data that I have to take a moment to step away or work on something else for a bit. However, like GearUp stated, it is what you make it. If you do some work on finding criminal cases to work, things can get exciting. If you think about it from a learning perspective and have the desire to move up, you will see everything as a learning opportunity and you can make just about anything interesting.

Paperwork or mix: Definitely a mix. It's been a bit more heavy on paperwork recently due to the COVID stuff, but once some of the restrictions are lifted we'll be back out in the field again. Our supervisors want us in the field, talking to registrants and doing investigations. There are times when you're combing through data or matching up information on investigations, and it is what it is. You have to be detail oriented to do this job, because even the smallest details can make or break a case.

Office environment: Like GearUp said, the office is what you make it. As someone with a previous career, office environments are different in every office. You do need to be able to work with your team, because your DIs will be your lifelines in getting your investigations completed. You need to be able to work with Agents and Intel Analysts and generally work well together, because DEA is at its core a team and you will need every person for some task or another. Of course at times you'll work individually, but I find myself communicating with other DIs, or SAs or my supervisor on a daily basis. Be a team player, it will get you far.

G-ride: I'm in a small office, so I can only speak from our small office. We each have our own G Car, which we can use for official business only. But this depends on your office/division.

Creds: You do get creds. They are for business purposes only, and they will give you more info during training. No gun, no badge.

Excitement: For my part, I do love this job. Sometimes it can be frustrating, or stressful, but at the end of the day what we do as DIs matters. In my short time as a DI, I've worked on all kinds of cases, and there are exciting parts to every one. If you keep an open mind and try to learn something from every interaction, you will do well for yourself.

Let me close by saying, if you're looking for action and to be an agent, this is not the job for you. I chose the DI route because I like the hours (conducive for myself and my family), I love the kinds of cases that we work (I come from a place hard hit by the opioid crisis, so it feels meaningful to do this work), and I like working as part of a team. It is not a job that I ever thought I would be doing, but at this point I cannot imagine doing anything else.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Edited by user Sunday, July 19, 2020 2:07:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: My grammar is atrocious today

thanks 7 users thanked CaitieMFT for this useful post.
luckydevil on 7/19/2020(UTC), Vjurado on 7/19/2020(UTC), centermass on 7/19/2020(UTC), TxChic on 7/19/2020(UTC), Candidate84 on 7/20/2020(UTC), MerGr3y on 7/20/2020(UTC), SATXNez on 7/27/2020(UTC)
Skywalker00  
#3434 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:38:43 AM(UTC)
Skywalker00

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey all,

I spoke with HR this week and asked them about the fall class. HR said it’s not 100% certain but since they have not scheduled a class and it’s the end of July that it’s most likely going to be 2021.
luckydevil  
#3435 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:50:36 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: Skywalker00 Go to Quoted Post
Hey all,

I spoke with HR this week and asked them about the fall class. HR said it’s not 100% certain but since they have not scheduled a class and it’s the end of July that it’s most likely going to be 2021.

I just spoke to them today as well and he said there’s no update yet on when it may happen. They were aiming for fall last spoke to them but no update as of today. It is going to be a bummer for me if I have to wait until 2021.
FederalJobDreaming  
#3436 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 8:53:01 AM(UTC)
FederalJobDreaming

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was wondering about the class too and I figured it may be next year also. With the presidential election in November, I don’t foresee them wanting to have to deal with mail in or absentee voting or trying to allow the class to fly/go home to vote on a Tuesday. It seems that might be hectic. With class originally scheduled to begin this month, it would’ve been long over prior to the election. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if there’s a class this fall and even happier if I get to attend, so I’m still going to remain optimistic.
thanks 1 user thanked FederalJobDreaming for this useful post.
NomadChris on 7/31/2020(UTC)
NomadChris  
#3437 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 7:01:58 PM(UTC)
NomadChris

United States

Hello everyone! I have a quick question. Since the beginning of the process I have kept advancing within the GS scale. A couple of weeks ago I was promoted to GS-9. Should I send the updated SF-50 to update my file or should I wait until I get contacted by the agency again. I am in the same boat as everyone; waiting for my BI to clear and then the long wait. Any feedback will be much appreciated.
FederalDreams  
#3438 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:01:00 AM(UTC)
FederalDreams

United States

Has anyone who took the proctored exam in the past few months received their results yet? I tested in late May (delayed due to Covid-19 closures) and have yet to hear anything back. I absolutely expected a delay in results as I already knew it was a lengthy process to begin with, however, I wasn't sure if anyone else received notification they passed or been called for an interview.
Vjurado  
#3439 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:49:32 AM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FederalDreams Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone who took the proctored exam in the past few months received their results yet? I tested in late May (delayed due to Covid-19 closures) and have yet to hear anything back. I absolutely expected a delay in results as I already knew it was a lengthy process to begin with, however, I wasn't sure if anyone else received notification they passed or been called for an interview.

Grab some popcorn and sit back. I'm an aug '18 applicant, it took about 6 months before I made it to next step (panel interview). With COVID-19, I'm sure it may be longer because your panel interview is face-to-face
Just have patience.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:50:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Vjurado for this useful post.
FederalDreams on 8/5/2020(UTC)
BHP  
#3440 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:58:00 AM(UTC)
BHP

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Jan 2019 applicant, tested in February, interview in July. 6 months seems to be the magic time pre-COVID, so like you often hear around here forget you even applied and just go on with your life. It'll be a nice surprise when you finally do hear something.
thanks 2 users thanked BHP for this useful post.
Vjurado on 8/5/2020(UTC), FederalDreams on 8/5/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed