Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KrazyK  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 3:02:15 AM(UTC)
KrazyK

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I've never applied for a job on USA jobs before. I currently work for the Post Office and I am looking to move over and I'm interested in a position with Veteran Affairs. After looking over the qualifications I am kind of stuck on this part.

"Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the federal service; experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization."

I am not sure what I am supposed to put for this, any advice would be helpful...like I said I work for the Postal Service so we don't have GS grades or anything like that.
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 3:46:28 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
The announcement and/or the questionnaire should describe the duties and skills of the position. Make sure your resume explicitly states your experience performing those or similar activities in your work experience section.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
KrazyK on 8/3/2020(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:16:30 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 423 time(s) in 362 post(s)
Something else to consider is that the USPS is an Excepted Service Agency. If the job you're applying for is open only to current Feds with Competitive Status, that doesn't include Postal Service employees. If you're a Veteran, you can probably apply. If it's open to All U.S. Citizens, you're fine. Many V.A. jobs are Excepted Service, mainly medical ones. Just have to check the announcement.

I went from a regular GS Competitive Service Agency job, with Tenure/Competitive Status, to the USPS for several years. I quit and then several years later went back to a regular GS Competitive Service Agency job. The only thing that allowed me to apply and get hired is because I previously had attained Competitive Status/tenure with a Competitive Service Agency.

Edited by user Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:22:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked SD Analyst for this useful post.
KrazyK on 8/3/2020(UTC)
djp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:34:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Some jobs in USPS are not excepted service.

They are under the same federal service system under retirement. These are high level HQ admin positions at DC HQ.

OP can PM me and I can assist

I am u sure what your experience is in vs what you want yo do. Also what education and yrs of experience fo you have.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed