Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 12:56:45 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 945 time(s) in 794 post(s)
This is an issue which applies to everyone who is going back to work for the same company that they are receiving a pension from.

I worked at a place, a contractor, and if retirees wanted to come back to work, they could only work like 40 hours a month without incurring all kinds of tax problems.

We have a couple of reemployed annuitants where I work, they get like 500 hours a year which works out to about 40 hours a month, more or less.

I've tried to find the IRS regulations that cover this but I have not been able to. Does anyone know the actual regulation? I'm trying to figure out what age it stops affecting work... some people say 65, others say 62
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Go saints  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:16:20 PM(UTC)
Go saints

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The only thing I've heard of is how Social Security might be taxed, and to what extent, based on your other income and the age you begin to receive SS especially if you start at 62 (assuming no disability).

Other than SS-derived considerations, I've not heard of any unique income tax issues deriving from pension + reemployment.

https://www.investopedia...taxable-after-age-62.asp
CubicalCMDR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 8:15:00 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What happens to the CSRS redeposit balance (stated at retirement) if my retirement pay is acturially reduced, I draw retirement pay and later I am reemployed. Does the redeposit amount grow, diminish or remain the same?

Edited by user Saturday, August 22, 2020 8:15:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: edit to check monitor topic box

SD Analyst  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 2:56:03 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 365 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
What happens to the CSRS redeposit balance (stated at retirement) if my retirement pay is acturially reduced, I draw retirement pay and later I am reemployed. Does the redeposit amount grow, diminish or remain the same?

This should be a new thread. But, once you retire and if your redeposit is eligible for actuarial reduction and you accept that, it is a permanent reduction. There is no more unpaid deposit.
thanks 1 user thanked SD Analyst for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 9/4/2020(UTC)
CubicalCMDR  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 4:42:32 PM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the clarification this is exactly what I needed to know!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed