Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael76  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 8:47:30 AM(UTC)
Michael76

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I was contacted to see if I was still interested in a GS11 in Rufus, OR.

Trying to figure out how relocation expenses work? Every DOD job I've had so far I've had to pay for the move on my own. If I get this position this would be my biggest move while working for the government including time in the military.
Any advice on the Rufus OR area would be great, never even been to the west coast before. Anyone know how the job market is out there? Rental market?

What expenses do they cover? Any chance they will reimburse for transport of an animal? Asking because my wife has a horse that will be moving along with my son's service dog. I mean either way both animals will be moving with, just curious if I’d be able to get any of the money back I spend mainly having the horse moved.
Taitai :-]  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2020 4:43:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 62 post(s)
I can't answer 99% of your questions but I did pull up Rufus, OR on the buy/rent/sell site Zillow (dot) com and Google, neither of which I am affiliated with nor do I have a financial interest in the websites nor any rentals or real estate.

I was curious as I had never heard of Rufus, OR. My last years in the military before I retired were farther north in Washington followed by 20 years with the USPS in the Tacoma area. My family and I used to drive to Oregon (Dallas/Lincoln City) a couple times a year to visit a relative and for shopping (no sales tax there) as opposed to Washington with its sales tax but no state income tax (yet... fingers crossed). Oregon does have 1 quirk, it being one of two states in the nation where it is illegal to pump your own gasoline, with the law now recently ammended allowing self-service in rural areas between 6 pm and 6am. If you use diesel, you are allowed to self pump anytime.

Rufus, in Sherman County, has a (2010) population of 249 on the Columbia River across from Washington state. Next to Rufus is the John Day Hydroelectric Dam on the Columbia River with fish ladders on both sides for Salmon going to the Pacific and returning upriver to spawn. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Rufus has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate. The town was named after Rufus Carrol Wallis who settled at Chamberlin Flat across the Columbia River in the 1860's, eventually living on both sides of the river operating a ferry, grain warehouses and other businesses including constructing and operating the first hotel there in 1890.

Zillow shows 1 property with a home for sale and no rentals in Rufus. That listing (4bd/1ba/1,932 sq ft, built in 1904 on 3.12 acres @$439k), has pictures from the realtor and in one showing the back of the house from the side are 2 horses. The other Rufus property for sale, without any house, is 606.77 acres for $750k. If you zoom out on Zillow to view other areas, clicking on them will show properties for sale or rent. Interstate 84 runs along the Columbia through Rufus. Highway 97 crossing to Washington is 5 miles west of Rufus via frontage road, which parallels I-84, gets you there in 7 minutes. "The Dalles", Oregon, population 13.6k and the largest city on the Columbia river outside of Portland, is 26.3 miles/ 26 minutes west of Rufus. Portland is 110 miles or 1 hour 44 minutes west of Rufus via I-84.

I wish you and your family the best.

Edited by user Saturday, May 2, 2020 5:32:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: punctuation

9 mai le 10 leo i loʻu ulu fai mai ou te valea. Tasi le maliega.
9 out of 10 voices in my head said I was crazy. One hums.
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 6:33:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Curious this morning so did a google search on Federal Jobs and Rufus, OR. This new listing refers to agency policy for relocation expenses for reimbursement:

Vacancy No. WTHE204293671713HW Department U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Salary $107,807.00 to $140,146.00 Grade 14 to 14
Perm/Temp Permanent FT/PT Full-time
Open Date 5/6/2020 Close Date 5/15/2020
Job Link Apply Online Who may apply Public
Locations:
RUFUS, OR
Locations
1 vacancy in the following location:

Rufus, OR
>>Relocation expenses reimbursed<<
>>Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.<<

Telework eligible
No

This job is open to
The public
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.

Clarification from the agency
This position is being recruited under Direct Hiring Authority for Certain Competitive Service Positions, Title 5 U.S.C. Section 1109.

Announcement number
WTHE204293671713HW

Control number

Duties
Duties Summary
About the Position: In this position, you will serve as aProject Manager for a Columbia River Multi-Purpose Hydropower Dam-Project, primarily responsible for management of personnel, technical activities, program schedules, fiscal accounting, and public relations.

You will have overall management and coordination of the various and diverse programs and functions of the Lock and Dam Project to include Engineering, Operations and Maintenance, Resource Management, and Environmental Stewardship.

Learn more about this agency
Responsibilities
Coordinate the operations and maintenance of all operating projects.
Adjust assignments of project personnel to meet workload demand.
Maintain relationships with federal, state, and local agencies or special interest groups.
Make recommendations for budget requirements and expenditures.
Ensure safety procedures are in place provide a safe environment for employees and visitors.
Supervises preparation of technical/annual reports, special reports, studies, project budget, and support activities.
Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status
Yes

Promotion Potential
None

Job family (Series)
1601 Equipment Facilities, And Services

9 mai le 10 leo i loʻu ulu fai mai ou te valea. Tasi le maliega.
9 out of 10 voices in my head said I was crazy. One hums.
djp  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 12:01:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Rufus likely has a COE on the Columbia/snake river irrigation, flood control, and power system that Bonneville handles the electric market for.

Rufus is a rural location so hiusing is very limited. The Dslles is the closest larger town that would have stores and such. A lityke father away is the tri cities area

Near there is umatilla that used to have a base there but BRAC closed it and it fell under control of Lewis mcchord

It’s a west coast state but the ocean is close to 4 hrs away.

Rufus is a Valley that is a temperate desertehere normal summer temps are over 90 degrees with low humidity with many 100 degree days. This valley is between the cascades to the west and bitter roots in northern Idaho to the east and blue mountains to the south east. In winter you will see temps below freezing and getting snow,

Don’t know how far this is to you to know how much it costs,

Polar Bear  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 9:19:17 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael76 Go to Quoted Post
I was contacted to see if I was still interested in a GS11 in Rufus, OR.

Trying to figure out how relocation expenses work? Every DOD job I've had so far I've had to pay for the move on my own. If I get this position this would be my biggest move while working for the government including time in the military.
Any advice on the Rufus OR area would be great, never even been to the west coast before. Anyone know how the job market is out there? Rental market?

What expenses do they cover? Any chance they will reimburse for transport of an animal? Asking because my wife has a horse that will be moving along with my son's service dog. I mean either way both animals will be moving with, just curious if I’d be able to get any of the money back I spend mainly having the horse moved.

Michael, did you end up moving?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed