Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
auburn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 8:51:04 AM(UTC)
auburn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hoping to get some clarification as the explanation I received from HR doesn't make much sense to me. I am a current GG position in DoD and am accepting a GS position with USDA. I have excepted service career/permanent status but I also went through the competitive probationary period prior to that while in an STRL position (STEM federal system). I'm told by HR that I've got to complete the probationary process again and that I'm classified as career-conditional due to being my Veterans Preference being considered during the selection process. I explained that I already completed probationary periods in my 9 years of federal service but was told it didn't matter due to how the position was advertised (to the public) and that I the selection was made off Veterans Preference delegated guidelines. I understand the what HR is saying, but it seems irrational to have Veterans Preference be a disadvantage in the case of permanent federal employees who have demonstrated successful performance and completed probationary periods. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:45:51 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 868 post(s)
Originally Posted by: auburn Go to Quoted Post
Hoping to get some clarification as the explanation I received from HR doesn't make much sense to me. I am a current GG position in DoD and am accepting a GS position with USDA. I have excepted service career/permanent status but I also went through the competitive probationary period prior to that while in an STRL position (STEM federal system). I'm told by HR that I've got to complete the probationary process again and that I'm classified as career-conditional due to being my Veterans Preference being considered during the selection process. I explained that I already completed probationary periods in my 9 years of federal service but was told it didn't matter due to how the position was advertised (to the public) and that I the selection was made off Veterans Preference delegated guidelines. I understand the what HR is saying, but it seems irrational to have Veterans Preference be a disadvantage in the case of permanent federal employees who have demonstrated successful performance and completed probationary periods. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I am guessing the STRL position was excepted service, along with your GG position being excepted service (and not all excepted service have interchange agreements between each other and competitive service).

You applied for a competitive service position, (and as it was a DEU cert) and your vet preference was used, you get a new probation period.

I had the same thing going from DCIPS (excepted service) to GS (competitive service), and while I used VEOA to get hired (vs DEU/open to all US), I still had to go through another probation period. 52 weeks later...off probation. 3 years later..I have career status in the competitive service.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
auburn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:49:58 AM(UTC)
auburn

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the additional information. I served a competitive probationary period while in STRL but later transitioned to DCIPS. Does my previous probationary period count (even though I left that position for excepted service)? I appreciate your insight!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed