Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
butkus51  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2020 1:27:39 AM(UTC)
butkus51

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I have been on LWOP since last November. It is due to expire this November. At that point, my insurance goes away. I plan on filing for disabilty retirement this month. Will my insurance continue until that process is resolved?
"Try again, fail again. Fail better."
Sofedup  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2020 3:28:24 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Sadly, there is NO cobra (TCC) if you have not been separated. I was lwop 365 for an on the job injury. My benefits FEHB, and FEGLI ceased right then with NO warning. I also mistakenly believed I would end up paying for TCC. This is something that people don’t realize. TCC is only available if you are separated from your agency, and a lot of times the agency deliberately does not separate you just so you will lose benefits. The other reason they don’t always separate their injured employees is because then it is documented that you have an injury, (on, or off the job, doesn’t matter), that prevents you from doing the key elements of your bid for assignment. This being said you NEED TO talk to a federal disability attorney ASAP. I was in your shoes two years ago, and the best thing I ever did was contact a federal disability law firm. Best of luck to you.
thanks 1 user thanked Sofedup for this useful post.
GSBS on 9/10/2020(UTC)
GSBS  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 9:09:25 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 323 time(s) in 281 post(s)
Originally Posted by: butkus51 Go to Quoted Post
I have been on LWOP since last November. It is due to expire this November. At that point, my insurance goes away. I plan on filing for disabilty retirement this month. Will my insurance continue until that process is resolved?
I read on another thread you're 63 with 3 years service. I'm not sure you are eligible for OPM Disability retirement? You might not have enough service to continue with your Insurance in retirement, and filing for D.R. won't extend this Insurance during the wait which could take a year or more.

Edited by user Friday, September 11, 2020 11:38:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sofedup  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 5:07:51 AM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

If you are over 62, and have had continuing FEHB ins since you were eligible I believe that you don’t have to have it a full 5 years to keep it. As long as you didn’t cancel it during your “3” years of service. I can’t find the reference at the moment. Additionally, if you are over age 62, there is no benefit that I can think of for filing DR, as it is recalculated at that age to what your regular pension would have been. If your ultimate goal is in keeping your FEHB, and FEGLI you may already be eligible. If you are filing DR after age 62 in hopes to lengthen your years of service I would assume that won’t change anything. The recalculation at 62 is a firm date they use. If I can find reference for continuing FEHB if you don’t have 5 years I will post it.

Edited by user Saturday, September 12, 2020 5:11:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot information

Sofedup  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 5:16:58 AM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

Google FEHB in retirement, In one of the top searches it will pull up the correct OPM FEHP page. There are frequently asked questions that address eligibility. If you have less than 5 years at full retirement age, but you have had it continuously without cancelling, you should be fine.
TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 4:18:22 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Here is the OPM language with respect to carrying FEHB into retirement:

To continue your health benefits enrollment into retirement, you must: (1) have retired on an immediate annuity (that is, an annuity which begins to accrue no later than one month after the date of your final separation); and (2) have been continuously enrolled (or covered as a family member) in any FEHB Program plan (not necessarily the same plan) for the five years of service immediately preceding retirement, or if less than five years, for all service since your first opportunity to enroll.

Bold added. If you qualify for an immediate retirement annuity and have been enrolled in FEHB "for all service since your first opportunity to enroll," then you are able to carry the FEHB coverage into retirement, even if you have fewer than 5 years of coverage. However, if you have fewer than 5 years of creditable service, you probably will not qualify for an immediate retirement annuity under FERS, even if you are age 62 or over. The general eligibility requirement for an immediate annuity is age 62 and at least 5 years of service. I know that OPM generally recomputes a disability retirement at age 62, but I am not sure how that works if you are at or over age 62 and still working but not yet entitled to an immediate retirement. For a disability retirement, you become eligible "at any age" with at least 18 months of service. You definitely should discuss your situation with an expert in disability retirement.

https://www.opm.gov/reti.../eligibility/#Disability
https://www.opm.gov/reti...information/eligibility/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed