Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike in VT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 2:08:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Question...are federal contractors held to the same standard as federal employees? I was required to register on a contractor's website for an analysis/planning tool. There was a large politically-driven banner on the home page. Isn't that a Hatch Act violation? The banner wasn't for a candidate, but contains the title of an organization that represents the far left and is big in the news recently.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 3:33:35 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Question...are federal contractors held to the same standard as federal employees? I was required to register on a contractor's website for an analysis/planning tool. There was a large politically-driven banner on the home page. Isn't that a Hatch Act violation? The banner wasn't for a candidate, but contains the title of an organization that represents the far left and is big in the news recently.

As far as I know, there is no federal prohibition on contractors engaging in political activity, such as displaying signs or actively campaigning, even in the government workplace. So, I am not sure that a banner on a contractor's own website would be an issue. By its plain language, the Hatch Act applies only to people "employed in . . . an Executive agency other than the Government Accountability Office; or a position within the competitive service which is not in an Executive agency...." That said, there probably are regulations in specific agencies or language similar to the Hatch Act in many (most?) contracts. Those types of rules generally require contractors to adhere to the same rules applicable to federal employees while in the federal workplace. And, federal agencies are often entitled to remove employees of a contractor from any federal contract if the employees' actions render them unsuitable or disruptive to the agency’s efficiency. My guess is that blatant Hatch Act violations would fall under that description, but I am not sure that a website banner would reach that threshold.

In the situation you mentioned, the federal workplace is not involved, but you were required as a part of your job to go to the website. It's an interesting question. I don't think the Hatch Act applies, but there might be internal agency rules and contract language that could apply. In the end, specific questions about political activity by contractors, particularly in the federal workplace, should be directed to the agency’s ethics personnel or legal counsel.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
Mike in VT on 9/29/2020(UTC)
GSBS  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 12:40:56 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Yes the closely observed Hatch Act? Trump is a walking Hatch Act violation on Steroids:

""The Hatch Act of 1939, An Act to Prevent Pernicious Political Activities, is a United States federal law. Its main provision prohibits civil service employees in the executive branch of the federal government, except the president and vice president, from engaging in some forms of political activity
Rss Feed  Atom Feed