Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TSP

Administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, this defined contribution plan for federal employees has roughly 4,614,874 participants, and over $358 billion in assets under management. Ask your TSP questions and post related topics here.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VAer1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 10:56:26 AM(UTC)
VAer1

Groups: Registered
United States

Can I transfer part of "TSP Roth Balance" to "Roth IRA"? If yes, how should I do that? How much is penalty?

Still in service, in my 40s, not qualified for withdraw. But the question is about transferring. I really would like to move some TSP Roth Balance to Roth IRA, so that I can directly investing on stock, instead of limited TSP Plans. I would like to take some risk to invest TSP Roth money(transferring some of balance, not all).

Thanks.
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 4:35:44 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1045 time(s) in 810 post(s)
https://www.google.com/u...aw2gAta2CmzTvK000EapbXwO

I believe it is only possible if you are age. 59.5

Are you maxing out your IRA?
VAer1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 5:33:58 AM(UTC)
VAer1

United States

Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tsp.gov/publications/tspfs05.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi--fCs77zsAhWIZs0KHTe8Cy8QFjALegQIFRAB&usg=AOvVaw2gAta2CmzTvK000EapbXwO

I believe it is only possible if you are age. 59.5

Are you maxing out your IRA?

The age 59.5 requirement sounds like withdrawing, but my question is transferring to Roth IRA.

Yes, max out already. But it is more about transferring money out of Roth TSP to IRA Roth, so that I can take more control of the TSP money.
roger.d  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 6:54:17 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1045 time(s) in 810 post(s)
As I stated, I do not believe you can make a transfer to an IRA while you are working. There is no information on the TSP website about transferring funds to an IRA while you are employed by the government.

Contact the TSP office for their answer.

ThriftLine: 1-877-968-3778 (toll free) (M - F) 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., eastern time
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 3:22:16 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VAer1 Go to Quoted Post
Can I transfer part of "TSP Roth Balance" to "Roth IRA"? If yes, how should I do that? How much is penalty?

Still in service, in my 40s, not qualified for withdraw. But the question is about transferring. I really would like to move some TSP Roth Balance to Roth IRA, so that I can directly investing on stock, instead of limited TSP Plans. I would like to take some risk to invest TSP Roth money(transferring some of balance, not all).

Thanks.

I don't think you can do a rollover/transfer until you leave federal service. Note that a transfer is simply a type of withdrawal with varying tax consequences. From TSP:

Transferring or rolling over your withdrawal

After you leave federal service, you may be able to transfer or roll over all or part of your partial or full withdrawal amount to an IRA or eligible employer plan.

I could not find anything indicating that you could make such a transfer while still employed unless you have already reached age 59 1/2 (age-based in-service withdrawal). Your best bet probably would be to contact TSP directly and discuss your options.
VAer1  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 3:06:43 AM(UTC)
VAer1

United States

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: VAer1 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks.

I don't think you can do a rollover/transfer until you leave federal service. Note that a transfer is simply a type of withdrawal with varying tax consequences. From TSP:

Transferring or rolling over your withdrawal

After you leave federal service, you may be able to transfer or roll over all or part of your partial or full withdrawal amount to an IRA or eligible employer plan.

I could not find anything indicating that you could make such a transfer while still employed unless you have already reached age 59 1/2 (age-based in-service withdrawal). Your best bet probably would be to contact TSP directly and discuss your options.

Thanks.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed