Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
private  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 10:41:22 AM(UTC)
private

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I took a FBI poly when I was in college about 5 years back and got the "based on the results of your polygraph we can't process your application," note. Didn't think much of it at the time.

Now, I have been refereed to a few non-intelligence community positions that require top secret clearance. Does the FBI polygraph preclude positions with other organizations? Does the note from the FBI mean that I was declined a clearance, and do I have to mark that on job applications, or does it just mean that they were not going to move forward with me in the process?
hemihem  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:43:35 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Whatever the concern was back then, as long as you have cured it, you'll be fine. If the question resurface and it is within the five, seven, ten, or ever time period, be upfront, list the issue(s), with comment/explanation. Provide documentation to corroborate your statement(s).

Edited by user Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:45:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 2:19:13 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 948 time(s) in 797 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hemihem Go to Quoted Post
Whatever the concern was back then, as long as you have cured it, you'll be fine.
THere's a pretty good chance that there was no issue at all, just that FBI seems to pursue a one-and-done polygraph policy without an opportunity for a follow-up.

Did you receive any letter that you were denied a clearance? Not passing a poly is not the same as being denied a clearance. Sounds like they just stopped processing. But the wording on the SF-86 may also ask if you have ever been investigated by the federal government.

There's a chance that FBI won't even share this info, but be prepared with dates and a copy of any correspondence you received.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
private  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 4:15:06 PM(UTC)
private

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got a note specifically that I was not denied clearance, and I have it stored. They did give me the chance to appeal, but again I was in college and had found another internship while I had been waiting for the results, not realizing it may come back to haunt me all these years later!

The SF-86 asks whether the U.S. Government (or a foreign government) EVER investigated your background and/or granted you
a security clearance eligibility/access? They did not actually begin the background investigation process, and the polygraph was a pre-employment qualifier, so I don't know whether I should say no, and include that I did not pass a polygraph in the notes, or just bring it up during the investigation interview.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed