Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Postmaster  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:53:20 AM(UTC)
MN Postmaster

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I realize that there are serious issue being discussed, but I have a simple one: Does anyone have any definitive info on the new vehicle(s)? I have seen all of the prototypes but I do not know the name or model of the one adopted. I would especially be interested to hear from those that are driving them. Good/bad? AWD? Are rurals getting any of them?
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:10:38 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1071 time(s) in 832 post(s)
Afaik, there is no need fleet vehicle.

There is a RH Mercedes van in the fleet. But the mirror is in a position that it will strike a mailbox if used for curbside delivery.

And unless you have a Mercedes dealership nearby, I doubt you would receive one.
Just Postal Talk No Nonsense  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:44:47 PM(UTC)
Just Postal Talk No Nonsense

United States

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 114 post(s)
The service is leasing Mercedes, ProMaster and Ford Transit vans to fill gaps as needed. These are not the next generation vehicle and is simply a stop-gap measure until we start purchasing the next generation fleet.
Last I heard, we are close to awarding a contract.
Don't engage with the non-postal riff-raff on these forums.
Your NBA  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 2:04:39 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1599 time(s) in 1130 post(s)
I heard they ran into a snag with all the prototypes. They tested them in the rain. When they were entering and exiting the vehicle, all the water from the roof was not pouring down onto them. So they are having to engineer a channel that makes sure we still get our baths like in the LLVs.
timing  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 3:34:59 PM(UTC)
timing

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Expecting an announcement of who will officially be building the new NGDV's before the end of this year.

As a stockholder, and electric vehicle owner myself, I'm hoping Workhorse (WKHS) wins the 8+ billion dollar multi-year contract but there's also Ford/Oshkosh in the running with their ugly gas guzzler.

The current LLV fleet costs us about 1 billion/year just to keep running and hopefully not catching on fire, while averaging only 10mpg. If they go all electric/hybrid, there's almost no maintenance, and an equivalent to 75 or so MPG with the electricity rates to miles driven.

The Dodge Promasters and Mercedes are only expected to last 10 years and are just temporary fill-ins in the mean time until the purpose built NGDV's start being delivered...I don't think the Promasters will last more than 5 years though without major work...they are falling apart at my station.

Current FTR carrier - former TE clerk, PTF carrier, Casual clerk, PTF/FTR clerk, PTF/FTR mailhandler, 4 probations
Tanker1497  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 3:57:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I thought I heard that President elect Biden wants a 100% electric federal fleet of vehicles. I'm sure this will have some affect on the new trucks. The new stuff out today is so good no plugging in to charge just pull into a spot to charge. Not all trucks need to charge every day. They can limit the battery size to 50 miles as very few routes cover 50 mile in a day, but even so they could have 100 mile trucks inter mixed in offices. The low miles bring the cost way way down to produce by thousands.
RodOrRob  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 7:31:19 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1169 time(s) in 850 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
Afaik, there is no need fleet vehicle.

There is a RH Mercedes van in the fleet. But the mirror is in a position that it will strike a mailbox if used for curbside delivery.

And unless you have a Mercedes dealership nearby, I doubt you would receive one.

According to our VOMA...The Mercedes Metris are being distributed all over the US, they are a stop-gap until we get an actual replacement for the LLV/FFV.
They are mostly for Park & Loop routes, but they ARE being placed on mounted routes...yes, they totally are a PITA to deliver curbside from what I've heard. Very limited space up front of the cage.
The closest Mercedes dealer is around 30 miles from my office. Not sure if that means anything.
EagleDog  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2020 11:38:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 224 post(s)
Postal Service Delays Mail Truck Replacement Contract Again
December 01, 2020

Already years behind schedule, the U.S. Postal Service announced another delay in its efforts to award a more than $6 billion contract to replace its fleet of aging mail trucks.

The Postal Service told Trucks.com that it expects to reach a contract with one or more of the teams bidding for the business in the federal government’s second fiscal quarter of 2021. That works out to the first quarter of next year.

Previously the agency said it would award the business early this year but then pushed it back to the end of 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It missed several targets for awarding the contract in 2019 and 2018.

“Amid continuing COVID-19 concerns, and in order to provide for capital investment activities and required approvals, the program schedule has been revised and a decision is now planned for quarter 2 of fiscal year 2021,” Kim Frum, a spokesperson for the Postal Service, said in a statement to Trucks.com on Tuesday.

Multiple teams of vehicle manufacturers once competed for the contract but many have dropped out over the years. Currently, there are three teams. They had a deadline to submit their proposals in July, at which time the agency said it would start to evaluate the plans and launch negotiations.

The Postal Service has said the contract could be worth more than $6 billion of business to build as many as 180,000 delivery vans. It also is looking at splitting the giant order between multiple parties.

The post office now uses about 140,000 Grumman Long Life Vehicles for its main delivery service. Manufactured from 1987 through 1994, they need to be replaced. A 2014 audit from the office of the USPS inspector general found that the current fleet was expected to only meet the delivery needs of the agency through the 2017 fiscal year.

The vehicles are prone to fires and they have become increasingly expensive to repair.

The three teams left competing for the contract are:

• Workhorse Group, a small Loveland, Ohio, electric truck builder, had teamed up with truck body maker VT Hackney. But it said VT Hackney has dropped out of the project, leaving Workhorse to continue on its own. Workhorse paid $7 million for intellectual property related to the truck and acquired the right to bid for the contract. It has a factory in Indiana. The company also owns 10% of Lordstown Motor Corp., an electric pickup truck startup in Lordstown, Ohio. It may tap Lordstown for manufacturing if Workhorse lands a large contract for the new mail trucks.

• Turkey-based Karsan, which makes commercial electric vehicles, teamed with long-time USPS supplier Morgan Olson of Sturgis, Mich. The team has offered a plug-in hybrid engine option for the new mail truck. Its truck would be built in the U.S.

• The third team, Oshkosh Corp., of Oshkosh, Wisc., and Ford Motor Co. of Dearborn, Mich., already have U.S. manufacturing facilities. They based their internal combustion engine entry on the Ford Transit cargo van.

https://www.trucks.com/2...lacement-contract-again/
:
"Some retirees sure seem to not let it go--they hang out on postal sites." - Your NBA
:
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 8:41:29 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3076 time(s) in 2452 post(s)
USPS Not Ready to Part with Deteriorating Grumman LLV Postal Trucks

https://www.caranddriver...mman-llv-truck-contract/

remember you read it on an open forum

Don't be ashamed to call out the insults

Just Cause has a hard on for me

trump lost

Rss Feed  Atom Feed