Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bros1980  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 6:06:05 PM(UTC)
Bros1980

Groups: Registered

How many people have left your office since the furlough and hiring freeze started?

Asking to get a feel of how many and what openings to expect next year.
bp340  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:09:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post
Myself and a handful of others from the VSC transferred to different federal agencies. I would like to return once everything is back to normal.

What agency/position did you transfer to? You’d return to CIS?

Baljohn  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 8:36:13 AM(UTC)
Baljohn

United States

Does anyone know when the hiring freeze will be lifted?
Mike in VT  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2020 4:24:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Baljohn Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know when the hiring freeze will be lifted?

No one knows for sure, but it's not going to be any time soon. The agency is still being super tight with money and is not completely out of the woods financially.
Akash32  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2020 3:33:23 PM(UTC)
Akash32

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Im hoping that there will be opportunities next year. They rescinded my offer 2 months ago, thought it would just be on an indefinite hold but circumstances changed it seems. Hoping for the best.
XFed77  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2020 10:56:37 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Akash32 Go to Quoted Post
Im hoping that there will be opportunities next year. They rescinded my offer 2 months ago, thought it would just be on an indefinite hold but circumstances changed it seems. Hoping for the best.

Once Trump, Stephen Miller, and Cuccinelli are gone, USCIS will regroup and start slowly getting back to where they were, including being able to use the fees they collect from applications to fund themselves and not have them diverted to ICE, Border Patrol, and CBP.

It didn't help that the Trump Administration was Anti-Immigration and tried to dismantle USCIS as they tried with USPS.

I expect Mass Hirings for ISOs in a couple of months or more. There's a huge backlog of applications from qualified applicants, (including many that paid premiums), and the Biden Administration promised to create a path to citizenship for more than 11 million undocumented aliens, DACA eligible applicants, and TPS.

There's gonna be a lot of hiring and overtime once the new administration gets situated and the COVID vaccinations are distributed.

thanks 3 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
jaxberlin on 12/7/2020(UTC), JDSIII on 12/8/2020(UTC), GSBS on 12/10/2020(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:27:38 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

Once Trump, Stephen Miller, and Cuccinelli are gone, USCIS will regroup and start slowly getting back to where they were, including being able to use the fees they collect from applications to fund themselves and not have them diverted to ICE, Border Patrol, and CBP.

It didn't help that the Trump Administration was Anti-Immigration and tried to dismantle USCIS as they tried with USPS.

I expect Mass Hirings for ISOs in a couple of months or more. There's a huge backlog of applications from qualified applicants, (including many that paid premiums), and the Biden Administration promised to create a path to citizenship for more than 11 million undocumented aliens, DACA eligible applicants, and TPS.

There's gonna be a lot of hiring and overtime once the new administration gets situated and the COVID vaccinations are distributed.

I'd pump the brakes just a bit on the "mass hiring" part. With the continued cost-cutting measures that the agency is expect to utilize over the next few months, I don't see active recruitment and hiring for quite some time. Also, when it comes to the "everyone becomes a citizen" approach that the new administration is touting, we don't know yet if these will generate fees, permitted fee waivers or if this will be another freebie application.
XFed77  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:51:01 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

I'd pump the brakes just a bit on the "mass hiring" part. With the continued cost-cutting measures that the agency is expect to utilize over the next few months, I don't see active recruitment and hiring for quite some time. Also, when it comes to the "everyone becomes a citizen" approach that the new administration is touting, we don't know yet if these will generate fees, permitted fee waivers or if this will be another freebie application.

We will only know once Biden is sworn in, won't we? Don't be such a Debbie Downer. Maybe it's your "wishful thinking" that it doesn't improve?

I can see you are biased by using the terms: "everyone becomes a citizen" and "freebie application". It would not make sense to go through all the work of creating a path to citizenship for 11 million people without charging them fees. What would be the point? A few thousand dollars from each adds up and would be a significant influx of funds to the Agency after the Trump Administration and especially Stephen Miller and Cuccinelli decimated it. You are biased to think that all these undocumented aliens can't pay for the fees or are seeking "freebie applications", like if they were living here off the government and not working, when no undocumented alien qualifies for any kind of public assistance

It's sad to think there are current employees of the USCIS that could be making decisions based on their ideologies...

Mike in VT  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:18:22 AM(UTC)

We will only know once Biden is sworn in, won't we? Don't be such a Debbie Downer. Maybe it's your "wishful thinking" that it doesn't improve?

I can see you are biased by using the terms: "everyone becomes a citizen" and "freebie application". It would not make sense to go through all the work of creating a path to citizenship for 11 million people without charging them fees. What would be the point? A few thousand dollars from each adds up and would be a significant influx of funds to the Agency after the Trump Administration and especially Stephen Miller and Cuccinelli decimated it. You are biased to think that all these undocumented aliens can't pay for the fees or are seeking "freebie applications", like if they were living here off the government and not working, when no undocumented alien qualifies for any kind of public assistance

It's sad to think there are current employees of the USCIS that could be making decisions based on their ideologies...

I think you're reading a bit too much into what I said. I bet you'd be surprised who I voted for, but it seems you already made up your mind. For example, based on what appears to be your sensitivity level, I bet you stand on a particular side of the aisle, but I won't assume that. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, merely being a realist based on experience. Definitely not wishful thinking on my part (again, you're assuming things). I want this agency to prosper. I wish we could go back to the way things were. PERSONALLY, I've always thought DACA is both a smart and moral idea. Again, don't assume things. Regarding fee waivers and 'freebie' applications...it's not a matter of 'can an applicant afford the petition', but are they willing to pay and not skirt around that issue. In the past, I worked with someone who was once a private immigration attorney and told me stories of applicants who could afford the fees, but would apply for a fee waiver just because it's available. That's the part I have concern with, not the ability for someone to qualify for it.

XFed77  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:59:51 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

I think you're reading a bit too much into what I said. I bet you'd be surprised who I voted for, but it seems you already made up your mind. For example, based on what appears to be your sensitivity level, I bet you stand on a particular side of the aisle, but I won't assume that. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, merely being a realist based on experience. Definitely not wishful thinking on my part (again, you're assuming things). I want this agency to prosper. I wish we could go back to the way things were. PERSONALLY, I've always thought DACA is both a smart and moral idea. Again, don't assume things. Regarding fee waivers and 'freebie' applications...it's not a matter of 'can an applicant afford the petition', but are they willing to pay and not skirt around that issue. In the past, I worked with someone who was once a private immigration attorney and told me stories of applicants who could afford the fees, but would apply for a fee waiver just because it's available. That's the part I have concern with, not the ability for someone to qualify for it.

But don't other applications have fee waivers also? Why are you focused on fee waivers for this specific group? I worked as an ISO 1/2 in the past, at a Service Center and a Field Office, and there were waivers, yes, but not for the majority of applicants for a specific application.

And just like any other application for any agency in the US, I have worked and currently working in another Agency, people are going to try to get the fee waivers, whether Americans, LPRs, or the undocumented. I have seen rich Americans trying to get fee waivers as I saw in my early youth see rich americans not paying taxes, See POTUS, or apply for Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and nowadays, rich americans who have ongoing businesses who have not been affected by COVID, like Jared Kushner, applying and getting millions in PPP and EIDL loans from the Small Business Administration.

So... my statement is that you can't specifically criticize one group of people when many other groups of are doing the same thing...

I believe in the power of positivism and I'm optimistic that by getting rid of the Anti-Immigration activists in the Trump Administration it will only get better for the USCIS.

inbetweenjobs  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:12:02 PM(UTC)
inbetweenjobs

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
As someone who was one of the LAST hires during/right before the freeze kicked in hard. All I can say is that things can only go up from here. Especially post administration change at the top levels.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:16:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked inbetweenjobs for this useful post.
XFed77 on 12/9/2020(UTC)
daddythedonkey  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 5:39:43 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

This makes sense. The lockdown economy doesn't help either.
Megs2693  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 12:42:05 PM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I'm watching the FOD town hall meeting right now and it's been said several times...and I quote.... "We do not anticipate large scale hiring of new staff at any point in FY2021." He said there may be some rare exceptions for certain positions but those will be very minimal.
XFed77  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 12:49:45 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
I'm watching the FOD town hall meeting right now and it's been said several times...and I quote.... "We do not anticipate large scale hiring of new staff at any point in FY2021." He said there may be some rare exceptions for certain positions but those will be very minimal.

FOD is Field Office Directorate, right?

Not Service Centers or National Benefits Center.
Megs2693  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 12:56:27 PM(UTC)
Megs2693

FOD is Field Office Directorate correct - but the NBC does fall under FOD not SCOPS like the rest of the service centers do.
XFed77  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 1:06:24 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

FOD is Field Office Directorate correct - but the NBC does fall under FOD not SCOPS like the rest of the service centers do.

Cool, Thanks for the info!

I'll wait to see what happens after Biden gets sworn in on January 20th, 2021...

New Administration, New Director, New Everything!

I'm sure they're not gonna follow what Cuccinelli, Stephen Miller, and the Trump Administration are doing.

daddythedonkey  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 1:53:57 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

This seems be the consensus of those in the know.
Mike in VT  
#18 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 3:32:38 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

Yup, they said something very similar to SCOPS. I think for most positions, they have to make a special request to even post anything. I'm hoping FY21 will serve as a sustainment to gather more funds in the piggy bank, while the new administration finalizes their plans, then come out swinging for FY22.
Megs2693  
#19 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 7:16:01 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

Yup, they said something very similar to SCOPS. I think for most positions, they have to make a special request to even post anything. I'm hoping FY21 will serve as a sustainment to gather more funds in the piggy bank, while the new administration finalizes their plans, then come out swinging for FY22.

Yes, agreed. I think most of 2021 will be spent regrouping and "licking our wounds" as an agency recovering from COVID and the Trump administration. From what I've heard from leadership things will get much better but it's going to take time. I don't see the hiring freeze being lifted or overtime coming back until next fall.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed