Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrokenWings  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 9:21:54 AM(UTC)
BrokenWings

Groups: Registered
United States

First, thanks in advance for any explanation... I am very confused about what will be happening. Here is the situation:
I suffered a bilateral upper body injury in 2011. Of course, over a period of several years, I went back to work after every surgery I had - until things went catastrophic in 2017. I ended up on back on comp, in and out of hospitals, additional surgeries on nerves and joints including fusions. I can’t do this anymore. I’ve been to multiple IMEs whose “return to work” conclusions were not possible full time (2 of 3 said never full or part time; 1 said maybe 2-4 hours a couple days a week maximum; with a minimum 15 min breaks each hour... who’ll hire with this restriction?). With this outlook, and having received approval for OPM disability retirement & I want off Comp. I chose OPM disability retirement which kicks in in a couple months. Meanwhile... I had applied for SSDI. I have a 12 year old; while applying for SSDI, I submitted for a dependent. My first round with SSA for SSDI was a bust. The second application round- I just learned the decision was is “favorable”.
I am very apprehensive about money right now. I gotta make sure the bills are paid & keep a roof over our heads.
I have an idea about the Opm disability retirement. Maybe I’m wrong (prob I am - here’s where clarification would be helpful...)that the only funds From ssdi that I may be entitled (going back to when I applied) would be whatever up to 80% of my salary (or essentially an additional 5% SSDI could make up because I’m at 75% on Comp with my child). Then when retirement kicks in, the offset would have me lose the ability to collect SSDI for a year (60% disability retirement) but would be able to collect a portion after the 2nd year (when disability retirement is at 40% - ultimately the offset still caps at 80% of my former salary..
I can’t seem to find solid info on SSDI my child is eligible and supposedly the decision is “favorable” for her as well. How does my retirement affect her ability to dependent SSDI? Or would she get it at all because of my offsets meeting 80%?
(This whole thing has been horrible. My life and whatever semblance of stability I had was ruined by one event I had no control over. I want off comp to regain what I can for myself and my child, and make the best life I can for us).
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 11:01:16 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 340 time(s) in 294 post(s)
I'm not sure you have the Offset or the mathematics of your OPM retirement down quite right? I have included an OPM Retirement handbook, and there are additional materials available. Congratulations on getting both OPM D.R. & SSDI. As you know once you switch, OPM will pay you 60% of your annuity minus 100% of any SSDI for the 1st year. In subsequent years you will see 40% of your OPM Disability minus 60% of your SSDI amount. Of course the comp stops as you would expect. Also the 80% figure you mention is used only as the amount you are allowed to earn and retain your OPM pension. SSDI is subject to an earnings limitation/ reduction as well!

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rms/pamphlets/ri98-2.pdf
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
BrokenWings on 12/30/2020(UTC)
BrokenWings  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 12:17:09 PM(UTC)
BrokenWings

United States

Thank you. This whole thing has been a(an unwelcomed) journey... like prob everyone here, Taxed or tax free, the accident cost me significantly physically, a huge chunk of my income, the loss of career... I don’t doubt that I have the offset math a bit off.I received a letter from OPM with my disability income estimates. What confuses me a bit is figuring in the SSDI (thanks for the link)... I understand that I may potentially get about a year of SSDI backpay for the time I was on comp then will have to deal with when the retirement is effective.
I still am unsure whether or not the SSDI my child is entitled will be affected. - perhaps you or someone else may know?
This is important because I know I’ve had to cut back on comp I am trying to figure ways how to afford the tuition/fees for long-standing activities my daughter is involved (swimming lessons & dance classes, school etc). I don’t want to be caught with overpayments .

Last, I am also a veteran. For those who may read this, if you’re a vet or know someone who and they have the misfortune to get hurt & have to apply for SSDI as part of opm disability retirement (or not) - consider talking with an American Legion service officer. The first time around I didn’t. The second time (over a year later) I had one help me coordinate with the VA where I was also getting treated and SSA (Free even!) Using their advice (what to get, do, talk to) helped get me flagged as a Fast Track and helped with my favorable decision. In fact, it seemed that the SSA case worker was much more helpful- actually nice-
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 1:33:56 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 340 time(s) in 294 post(s)
Come join us over in the OPM Disability Retirement section for some thought-provoking threads!

https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=4
GoHuskers  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 11:31:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 107 post(s)
As a federal employee/retiree, I'm going to assume that your SSDI benefit will be high enough that the maximum amount payable to your dependents would be 50% of your own SSDI benefit. Thus your child, assuming she is the only dependent receiving benefits, would receive a monthly benefit equal to 50% of your benefit. These payments would continue until she is age 18, or up to age 19 as long as she is still in high school full time.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed