Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
birdonamission  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:36:03 PM(UTC)
birdonamission

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hey postal people...

Just trying to understand. I know that the holidays had something to do with big delays as well as people are ordering stuff online a hundred times more than pre-COVID. Infirmed, sorry, Informed Delivery is not informative at all on many of the packages we've been waiting for.

For example, one package arrived in the Santa Clarita, CA, distribution center from the merchant on 1/4 and has been "in transit" since 1/8 (no idea what it was doing in Santa Clarita for 4 days before it went "in transit" to my address). Radio silence on any further status. One 2-day Amazon Prime delivery in December took a few days shy of 3 weeks. Re: another package, what would be a reason that it would sit in Fayetteville, NC for almost two weeks before moving again to make its way to Maryland, only 2 states away? Worse, one package was sitting in a nearby city right here in Maryland (one county over) for many days before we got it.

Informed Delivery often has no recent scan updates so you're left wondering whether you'll ever get your package. Shouldn't there be more scans along the way? The local PM basically just says "I don't know."

P.S. My brother works in maintenance for the post office. He works hard for his money!
z165012  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 4:11:27 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
easy...

the 'in transit' is that the item hasnt been processed...not sure how it is in your area, but here in the chicagoland area, my office is sending all mail that is 'outgoing' out of the building nightly, but the plants dont have the capacity to process it, so either its sitting in a warehouse, or a trailer that was parked in the lot because they were out of space...

out east got really screwed up when they got the foot plus of snow in PA...most mail is move on interstates, so if those are shutdown, they arent going to 'reroute' the semiloads of mail through a bunch of small towns...

as for why something shows delivered to the local office but is still 'in transit'? welcome to the world of 3rd party shippers. Pitney Bowes is the postage for a company called Newgistics, at least here in the midwest...well someone clicked the 'delivered' button on those items saying they were dropped at the local office, when they had only created the manifest...this started Nov 27th and was still continuing as of last week. stuff they 'dropped' Nov 27th didnt ACTUALLY arrive in the building until Dec 19 and went out 19/20/21, as management was setting up additional routes for the xmas hires to start taking the stuff out as soon as the clerks got it sorted...as we got nearly 2000 packages that saturday, obviously they didnt all go out saturday, and that sunday 20% of the regular carriers came in just to run packages...obviously some were to people at businesses, so those didnt go until monday...

if you read around, you will see that there are a significant amount of people out with covid related issues, and that hiring people is a long drawn out process, so replacing people is difficult...and postal work isnt for everyone...one of our holiday helpers lasted 1 shift...apparently he thought it was going to be easy money, as starting pay was nearly $17 for holiday helpers...

also there is this thing of being a nationwide truck driver shortage and has been for years...there arent many 'gypsy' or 'independent' drivers available out there, and they charge lots more than contract drivers...when i was a trucking dispatcher, it was nearly double the cost per mile for a owner/operator than one of our own guys...
thanks 2 users thanked z165012 for this useful post.
birdonamission on 1/11/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/11/2021(UTC)
Taitai :-]  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 8:20:27 AM(UTC)
Taitai :-]

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 62 post(s)
My niece in Washington state recently had the same problem. An order from a business in a small town (population 6k) 40 miles from St Louis shipped 2-Day Priority the 2nd of December had been accepted and a tentative delivery date of December 4th established in Informed Delivery. Then... no movement on tracking. She texted me and asked about calling the USPS and I told her about long waits on hold and suggested going online to https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm and filling out the form after first printing out her tracking information.

She did and filled out the form and got notified she could expect a reply in 3 business days. 2 days later tracking showed it had been received by the St Louis P&DC just after midnight, January 7th and was in transit with an estimated delivery Saturday January 9th.

She got it the very next day, January 8th.

I wish you similar success!

EDIT: Had a dm asking me if the package was Fudge from Uranus, MO. No... Uranus, MO is 129 miles from St Louis... Fudge from Uranus is the tourist attaction. Uranus is a town of 25 people on the old Route 66 adjacent to Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 12, 2021 12:05:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

9 mai le 10 leo i loʻu ulu fai mai ou te valea. Tasi le maliega.
9 out of 10 voices in my head said I was crazy. One hums.
thanks 2 users thanked Taitai :-] for this useful post.
birdonamission on 1/11/2021(UTC), EagleDog on 1/12/2021(UTC)
poorfamily  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 8:58:29 AM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 128 post(s)
I'm still waiting on my last Christmas present from Amazon. USPS picked it up on the 14th in Massachusetts. It took 11 days to travel to Georgia, then took 14 days to travel from Georgia to North Carolina where it was sitting last night.
"We love you" (to domestic terrorists)- DJT

"I don't take responsibility at all" - DJT

"I'm a stable genius" - DJT
thanks 1 user thanked poorfamily for this useful post.
birdonamission on 1/11/2021(UTC)
122intheshade  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 6:26:51 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 636 time(s) in 518 post(s)
The moral of the story is, when you don't see a scan for more than a day, fill out the "where's my package?" form at usps.com.

Or, when you ship or receive notice of a tracking number, fill out the "send me updates" tracker, which also seems to keep your item illuminated.

Otherwise, the item just stays "in transit". Filling out those forms really does get action.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
birdonamission on 1/13/2021(UTC)
birdonamission  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 5:45:34 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

Hi all,

First - thanks for the responses so far. I just would like to know how widespread the following situation is (as told to me by the PM in my town's post office):

Older packages are being pushed back (physically) by the new packages in such volumes that they actually can't get to the older stuff. So what's happening is the new stuff coming in are being delivered first (last in, first out) and the old packages are sitting in the back rotting (my colorful word, borne out of frustration...lol) just because they actually cannot get their hands on them because of the insurmountable mountain that's between the new and the old (again, my hyperbole).

Mind blown. Is this happening on a large scale all over the country? I even joked with the PM that somebody needs to bust open a door on the other side so they can do the only thing that makes sense (first in, first out).

Edited by user Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:10:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

New Guy 2021  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:45:06 AM(UTC)
New Guy 2021

Groups: Unapproved
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We were like that until mid December when we leased a nearby warehouse to take incoming mail so we could work the older stuff. We still have plenty of old stuff left and are way behind, but we at least have all packages from before Christmas out!
thanks 1 user thanked New Guy 2021 for this useful post.
birdonamission on 1/19/2021(UTC)
EagleDog  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 10:22:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 305 time(s) in 246 post(s)
New packages essentially not being delayed.
Old packages (many stored off site in trailers) caught up as time allows.

p.s. I had several packages in limbo for 10 -21 days. All have been accounted for. Last one out-for-delivery today (mailed 1/4/21).
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Randy1  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 1:16:16 PM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

First - thanks for the responses so far. I just would like to know how widespread the following situation is (as told to me by the PM in my town's post office):

Older packages are being pushed back (physically) by the new packages in such volumes that they actually can't get to the older stuff. So what's happening is the new stuff coming in are being delivered first (last in, first out) and the old packages are sitting in the back rotting (my colorful word, borne out of frustration...lol) just because they actually cannot get their hands on them because of the insurmountable mountain that's between the new and the old (again, my hyperbole).

Mind blown. Is this happening on a large scale all over the country? I even joked with the PM that somebody needs to bust open a door on the other side so they can do the only thing that makes sense (first in, first out).

Crazy... Doesn't surprise me tho... I'm so glad that I sent ALL my packages via UPS. They arrived either on time or early during the holiday.

Also I now pay my bills online, since I had a few I sent out arrive late.

thanks 1 user thanked Randy1 for this useful post.
birdonamission  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 1:49:54 PM(UTC)
birdonamission

It seems a breakthrough is happening in my area as of this afternoon. Got a flurry of updates and packages are starting to move again!

One package I was particularly concerned about was the one from California that had absolutely no scans, a.k.a. current status, after it flipped to "In Transit" on 1/8. It's insured value via Priority Mail service (per Informed Delivery) is over SEVEN times LESS than what I actually paid the merchant. (Talk about being nervous!) I signed up for alerts and the "Where's My Package?" thing as was suggested, and finally, I received two emails ~45 minutes apart this afternoon that it arrived and departed from the USPS Regional Destination Facility Washington DC Network Distribution Center and in transit to the destination (me, in the Maryland suburbs).

I won't totally relax and until I have the package in my hands, but relieved it's actually within a 25-mile radius and not who knows where!
JustSomeClerk  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 5:47:10 PM(UTC)
JustSomeClerk

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Crazy... Doesn't surprise me tho... I'm so glad that I sent ALL my packages via UPS. They arrived either on time or early during the holiday.

Also I now pay my bills online, since I had a few I sent out arrive late.

Well ain't THAT a h ellvua way to contribute to you own job security?!

thanks 1 user thanked JustSomeClerk for this useful post.
Your NBA on 1/19/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed