Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Redtruckgal  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 12:17:51 PM(UTC)
Redtruckgal

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well, it begins- I'm at a bulk mail center. Havent got a start date,but the paperwork has been submitted.

Does anyone know the "lock in" period for BMC locations. One BMC said it was 18 months. Is that the same for all BMC locations or is it based on number of custodians per location?

Also, do locations offer perks aside from a lunch room? Like maybe showers or a fitness room? I know I know IM NEW so the stupid questions are gonna happen...

Any body wanna toss some suggestions for foot wear? Do they gotta be steel toed? I know from my time as rca they had to be full leather cover whole foot....because like safety warnings there had to be a reason for requirement...(somebody wore a flip flop right? Lmao)

So here I am all excited!!

πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜†
thanks 1 user thanked Redtruckgal for this useful post.
New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC)
Amused  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 3:28:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Is this a joke? Showers and a fitness room?
roger.d  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 3:28:54 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 957 time(s) in 777 post(s)
I don't know of any USPS that has a fitness room. Possibly a shower for a "hazmat" cleanup.

As for shoes, you may be required to have green tag "slip resistant" shoes. You can bypass bit with a MD note saying that it is medically necessary for you to wear "xyz" shoe.

Your office is connected to others for "bidding" purposes. When someone retires or quits, you can put you name in the hat to take that person's job. Depending on the contract, you are limited to "x" switches per contract.

If you want to move outside of your "installation", there is a 18 month wait for "in district" and 12 month "outside district". Adjacent district might be considered "in district". You will need to verify that.
thanks 3 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/4/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 1/11/2021(UTC)
EagleDog  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 3:50:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 302 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Redtruckgal Go to Quoted Post
Any body wanna toss some suggestions for foot wear? Do they gotta be steel toed?

Type 3 uniforms are worn by vehicle maintenance, custodial maintenance, mail handler, BMEU

Shoes:

Regulation shoes bearing SR/USA tag, black

https://about.usps.com/m...s/elm/html/elmc9_011.htm
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
thanks 3 users thanked for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/4/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 1/11/2021(UTC)
EagleDog  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 3:52:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 302 time(s) in 243 post(s)
CAREER STATUS in the MAINTENANCE CRAFT

On behalf of the American Postal Workers Union, congratulations on your career appointment!

Here is a brief overview of some of the benefits the APWU has achieved in negotiations on your behalf:

https://d1ocufyfjsc14h.c...enance_craft_rev_apr.pdf
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/4/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC)
Redtruckgal  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 4:47:12 PM(UTC)
Redtruckgal

United States

Originally Posted by: Amused Go to Quoted Post

YAY IT GOT A RESPONSE! LMAO

I was seeing if ya all paying attention...but there is some questions I did have that were answered and life is good!

Keep smiling Amused...I knew someone would eventually take the bait...I was an RCA...lol

thanks 1 user thanked Redtruckgal for this useful post.
New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC)
Express347  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 4:52:43 PM(UTC)
Express347

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Amused Go to Quoted Post

Yeah I don’t think you’ll find a fitness room working at the post office. I worked at an office that only had a men’s locker room. Thankfully the ladies did get a little bathroom at least.
thanks 1 user thanked Express347 for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/4/2021(UTC)
roger.d  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 6:06:15 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 957 time(s) in 777 post(s)
If someone could post, I think they would tell you to find a PT job. You will find enough time at to PO to sleep, you can hold down a near FT position somewhere else.
thanks 2 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/4/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 1/11/2021(UTC)
canyoneer  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2021 11:30:37 PM(UTC)
canyoneer

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I work as a custodian at a main post office in a city. Just a warning. You may be out half the day delivering express mail, packages, dropping off mail and packages to carriers, scanning collection boxes, etc. I spend very little time actually cleaning due to this and management doesn’t seem to care. At first it drove me nuts but now I just embrace it as a chance to get out of the toxic environment that office is. I plan on reassigning to another craft and location in a year anyways so I just look at it as putting in my time. Good luck with the job.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 5, 2021 12:08:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked canyoneer for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/6/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC)
MPE2009  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2021 4:41:40 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 595 time(s) in 486 post(s)
I'm going to offer some advice, which I doubt you'll take. But I'd seriously suggest you consider quitting right now. The USPS is one of the most miserable and demeaning employers that exist. You may be one of the fortunate ones and have a charmed career, however more likely you'll face years of abuse from postal management. Most of my coworkers and friends at the po, started with rose colored glasses and with our eyes glowing over the amount of money we were making compared to most private employers. After all, I hired on at $9.29 coming from a job paying $5.25, plus USPS has much better benefits. So financially this job has been solid, but as far as humanity goes, it's been a struggle since shortly after reality hit. After a while, raising kids and an ill wife, I was in a position where I could not afford to quit. So I suggest some serious thought about a better alternative if there is one.

Now if you choose to accept the job anyway, my only advice is to live in such a way, that you can afford to just quit. There may come a day where you'll be grateful of the ability to quit if you live your life frugally and sock away a serious emergency fund.

Last part is a bit of career advice, as a custodian in a BMC you'll be allowed to apply for testing for all available maintenance jobs in your facility. You must apply within the first thirty days for those tests or hold your breath until another open season comes. TAKE the test, even if you don't want the jobs, yet. Someday you might want to promote to a mechanic's position or MOS clerk job, so take the tests and qualify if you can. Even if you fail the tests, having taken them, you're then eligible every 120 days or so to retest. So one more time, take the maintenance test and apply for qualifying for every single maintenance job in your facility.
thanks 2 users thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/6/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 1/11/2021(UTC)
kingu  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2021 10:46:07 AM(UTC)
kingu

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Congratulations on making the transition from RCA to custodian laborer 4!

Some things to correct from the above reply - Yes, take the 955, you have 30 days to get your request in (and your office SHOULD send you the form via tracked priority mail due to an APWU grievance settlement...) Retests are every 180 days as of the last contract, but part of that was that open season is supposed to stay open (with some LMOUs overriding, so just get the request done anyway, mark everything but ET11.)

Next is working conditions. Wow, I mean, seriously, you will not believe the mindset difference you'll find in your new job. When a supervisor asks if you can do something, that's not a backhanded order, that's actually a request you can refuse. You've got your 90 days to get through (calendar days, not 90 days worked like it was as an RCA...) so be extremely careful in following all safety rules. Don't injure yourself.

Shoes: Depending on the physical size of your building, expect to get in 5-8 miles of walking in a day. Black non-skid all leather upper shoes. While a uniform isn't required until after you get your clothing allowance, I'd start buying some dark navy work shirts now. Especially if you're not a veteran. The dirty little secret at most plants and BMCs is that you're a target for everyone else's misery. Blending in and looking like you've worked there for years is a major self defense for new custodial hires. Also props like putting all your keys on a carabiner so you 'sound' like a custodian is another good idea.

Odds are you'll skip orientation and go straight into the maintenance safety course; it is reading an inch thick copy paper printed book and taking a test. Be prepared; bring energy drinks, coffee, water, snacks. CTC training will be more death by power point and blow another day, but you'll be able to do more than just recycle or do trash collection routes once that's done.

Biggest cultural difference is breaks. You take them. Every time. You take your lunch every day. Those breaks and lunches were really hard for me to get used to coming from a RCA. You'll use a card to swipe in and out for BT, OL, IL, ET - ask management to help you, which time clocks have your location code, just tell them you were a rural carrier and always did everything on green cards, so never used time clocks. Other custodians should also give you a hand.

The 955 test mentioned above is taken while you're on the clock so long as it can be scheduled during your tour OR if it can't be (hello COVID), talk to management about how you should schedule it/temporary change of schedule to take it while on the clock. You'll go to the BMC, clock in, and at the appropriate time to get there and rest before your test, check out a vehicle and use that to get to and from testing.

A typical tour begins by putting items in your locker/break/lunch room, clocking in at exactly your tour start, meeting for any standups and getting issued route sheets, checking out equipment, and proceeding to route or duty. First break is usually 2 hours after you clock in, lunch is usually 4 hours after you clock in, second break is usually 6 hours after you clock in, return equipment is usually 8 hours after you clock in, and end tour 8.5 hours after you clock in, unless on the over time desired list where you'll probably do 4 days of overtime a week. (Unofficially, that time after equipment check in is kind of a third break.. Culture shock, so much culture shock.)

Welcome to maintenance. You don't have to be crazy to work here, we'll train you... (Psst, remember, you gotta pretend sometimes to hate your job, and when you reply 'living the dream' they'll assume you're being sarcastic, not that you really are compared to life as an RCA. Biggest shock of all? Two days off a week where you can actually make plans to do things, and nothing is so sweet as actually getting a paid day off.)
thanks 5 users thanked kingu for this useful post.
GordonG on 1/7/2021(UTC), New Guy 2021 on 1/7/2021(UTC), Redtruckgal on 1/10/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 1/11/2021(UTC), birdonamission on 1/13/2021(UTC)
MPE2009  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 7:01:25 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 595 time(s) in 486 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kingu Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations on making the transition from RCA to custodian laborer 4!

Some things to correct from the above reply - Yes, take the 955, you have 30 days to get your request in (and your office SHOULD send you the form via tracked priority mail due to an APWU grievance settlement...) Retests are every 180 days as of the last contract, but part of that was that open season is supposed to stay open (with some LMOUs overriding, so just get the request done anyway, mark everything but ET11.)

Thank you, I knew there had been changes. The APWU grievance settlement you're referencing, is that local or an arbitration decision? The forms here are handed out face-to-face, which is why I wanted to stress that the OP take responsibility to personally request it.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/10/2021(UTC)
Redtruckgal  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 10:26:54 PM(UTC)
Redtruckgal

United States

KINGU

THANKYOU!!!!! and to EVERYONE YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BEYOND AWESOME!!!

IM SURE WE WILL CHAT MORE SOON!

<HUGS>
New Guy 2021  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 12:20:55 PM(UTC)
New Guy 2021

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've been waiting to get approval to post. Id like to belatedly congratulate and welcome you to the postal service.
My advice is to carry a positive attitude. Some people may challenge that attitude with constant negativity, rudeness, laziness, etc. But if you remain positive knowing that you have a very safe and solid job.

I missed you guys!
thanks 1 user thanked New Guy 2021 for this useful post.
Redtruckgal on 1/14/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed