Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Polar Bear  
#21 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 12:20:04 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
When my wife starts, I'm going to have her max out her tsp. She's on my insurance already, and I see no reason for both of us to have separate health. Any of you have a similar situation where you and your significant other/spouse are both in the government and one of you does the seasonal stuff? Any tips?

Do you already have FEHB yourself? You'd have to run the numbers on the premiums to determine if it's beneficial to have two self only plans vs a Self+One or Family.

Yes I have her on my self plus one. We can’t have children. I’ll run the numbers, including the fsa.

To the poster above, does that mean you’ve had consistent work where you weren’t furloughed at all except once, or you’ve been furloughed and only collected unemployment once?

The job my wife took was for Remittance Perfection Technician. The announcement said 6-8 months was the season. Is that typically true?
Hired 2015  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 4:21:38 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I've been a seasonal for 5 years. There was only one time I was furloughed and got unemployment. Newcomers need to build their skills, take advantage of training.

Monday is always just around the corner as a seasonal so you have to be realistic that a furlough could happen.

So even though you applied to a position that was supposed to be only 6-8 months per year, in reality you worked year round for 4 of the 5 years?

I am technically a permanent seasonal WI CSR at a call site not a service center. I self furloughed a few years. Only one of those years was I furloughed and got unemployment. Of course I was essential and worked during the shutdown where you didn't know if you were getting paid or not.

My experience has been that some seasonals need permanent jobs that creates problems with sidebar agreements where one passes so the other can get a perm slot. Then there are those that believe quality not seniority should decide who gets the perm slot which tends to decrease morale. Seasonal extensions are also a problem that some expect you would decline like them. I extended once going against the majority of seasonals which they didn't appreciate. Its very two classes of worker groups at my location where there is also expectation as a seasonal you stay in your lane which isn't my thing.

Seasonal is thought of at my location as being an unreliable worker without skills that need hyper micromanagement which doesn't fit the workforce today and it creates conflicts/lowers self esteem that impacts morale. Its hard to see good people leave the service because they don't feel good about their workplace.

ironman  
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2020 12:43:01 AM(UTC)
ironman

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: demoslider Go to Quoted Post
I know people would normally want to go from seasonal to perm, but can employee go from perm to seasonal if they apply for a seasonal position? Can the department they are a perm in be able to prevent them from going to the seasonal position by refusing to release them? Thank you.

You can go from perm to seasonal, but like you said it would be by applying for the job from USAJOBS, they cannot block you as of the recent Union contract I believe. The rule has changed a bit. They cannot block you for the same grade because the skillsets are different for the other job, or if you are going from days to nights or nights to days it becomes a valid reason to change, just like that going perm to seasonal there is a valid reason i.e shift change, therefore they are not able to block you anymore.
gardenia  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 6:38:33 AM(UTC)
gardenia

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I have been seasonal for almost 15 years in a callsite. I have not been furloughed for the last 3 years. It’s really about budget and not lack of work. Your furlough letter has to say lack of work in order to qualify for unemployment. I have not been treated differently because I am seasonal. You can choose to end health insurance when furloughed stay on it and pay double payments when you return to work or pay the premium out of pocket during your furlough. You sign a seasonal agreement when you start with an estimated seasonal timeframe. If the furlough date on the agreement passes and you haven’t been furloughed you are supposed to be given another agreement with another estimated timeframe. The agreement always ends September 30 not because you will be furloughed but because that’s the end of the fiscal year. You will receive another agreement at the beginning of October for the remainder of the year if you want to be furloughed per the IRM when your contract signed in January is up they cannot force you to extend your season. You can choose to furlough until the new season in January. The only difference between involuntary and voluntary furlough is you don’t qualify for unemployment if you go voluntarily. Management will lie and tell you you have to sign the extension. It’s not true and no consequence for voluntary furlough. I don’t know the IRM offhand but you can certainly look it up.
govguy  
#25 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 7:20:45 AM(UTC)
govguy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm used to working until sept or oct as a seasonal. My concern is that if they convert 4300 seasonals (or offer it to them anyway), they wont need the remaining seasonals as long during the year - maybe 4-6 months instead of 8 or 9 months per year - since they will have many more employees working year round.
Lifefocus  
#26 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 7:24:04 AM(UTC)
Lifefocus

United States

People retire,or leave,I think you would be needed.
Hired 2015  
#27 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 2:15:03 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Originally Posted by: Lifefocus Go to Quoted Post
People retire,or leave,I think you would be needed.

I agree. Personally I love being a seasonal for the mental rest. The con for me is returning doing what the CSRs do where I have mental fog getting up to speed.

In the day women were pushed into the traditional jobs of accounting which has never really been my passion. The ideal job for me would be my passion to promote STEM education for women. I love everything to do with building stuff and engineering. I decided to switch from a business 4 year major to CAD engineering because I am loving building stuff in 3D.

CSR is what we do. Its a job. Keep the perspective to make the choice best for you.
Marty  
#28 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 9:57:11 AM(UTC)
Marty

United States

Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.

Most states require you to certify that you are actively looking for work in order to collect unemployment, so that may be a question of ethics.

The IRS also requires pre-approval of any secondary employment regardless of your pay status.

Hired 2015  
#29 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 3:50:32 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Most states require you to certify that you are actively looking for work in order to collect unemployment, so that may be a question of ethics.

The one time I got unemployment with the service my state did require that I look for work. I referred to a job match and skill building program. The result of that was I was referred to look for work with the service in another state. The description of the service was based on a 1970s outlook as having low turnover, few layoffs and rapidly expanding. The job I was referred to was CSR from an official announcement about 5 years old.

The takeaway from the experience was I learned new skills likely I will never use, meet new people and discovered I am not really skilled at applying for jobs in the automated HR world because I am from an area where we find work by word of mouth, no resume needed.

cooljul  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:54:39 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Question about the seasonal CSR position. It’s listed as 6 month seasonal with a salary amount. Is that salary for the 6 months? Or do you really earn half of that salary?

For example I think it said around $35,000. Does that mean you earn $35,000 in 6 months or is it actually ~ $17,500?
whoanotcool  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 4:36:04 PM(UTC)
whoanotcool

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
Question about the seasonal CSR position. It’s listed as 6 month seasonal with a salary amount. Is that salary for the 6 months? Or do you really earn half of that salary?

For example I think it said around $35,000. Does that mean you earn $35,000 in 6 months or is it actually ~ $17,500?

The salary is a yearly salary. You will most like likely be paid an hourly plus any locality. You can look it up for your area based on the grade.

Papoose79  
#32 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2021 10:00:57 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)

It means you will be paid hourly like non seasonals, and then if/when you furlough you will be able to get unemployment until you're called back to work. My experience as a seasonal I was only off 4 wks the first time and 11 wks the next time, but you are still a permanent employee. If you're supposed to earn $35k for the year and you don't furlough then you earn that. If you furlough 1 pay period then subtract that from $35k, but note you still could earn that $35k.

Hopefully this answers your question.
cooljul  
#33 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2021 10:34:29 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post

It means you will be paid hourly like non seasonals, and then if/when you furlough you will be able to get unemployment until you're called back to work. My experience as a seasonal I was only off 4 wks the first time and 11 wks the next time, but you are still a permanent employee. If you're supposed to earn $35k for the year and you don't furlough then you earn that. If you furlough 1 pay period then subtract that from $35k, but note you still could earn that $35k.

Yes most definitely. So even though the position says 4-6 months you have found you stay on most of the year? Is that typical?

Papoose79  
#34 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2021 12:14:13 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post

Yes most definitely. So even though the position says 4-6 months you have found you stay on most of the year? Is that typical?

For a lot of people yes. I think it would depend on the flow. My first experience as a CSR I worked from November to October the next year. 2020 as an ITAS I worked till August and returned in November. I only became seasonal again last year and Covid played a part in my furlough.
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
cooljul on 1/15/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed