Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Synoke  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:35:08 PM(UTC)
Synoke

Groups: Registered
United States

HEllo,

I do have a question about AWOL. I had to call out today due to my wife needing to get checked to see if she had covid and due to her being pregnant the doctor told her to go to a hospital to get checked out. So I used FMLA (Which I have) but my supervisor stated that when I did the FMLA (Even though it has been approved in the previous past due to her being high risk) he told me today for the first time, it can't be used since the blocks aren't available until June when the baby is due, but why the sudden change? I only use my FMLA in case of emergencies and due to her having Thyroid issues and Graves disease, and the risk of losing the baby, HR stated that I could use it when I need to due to these circumstances, yet my Station Manager says different and I need to speak to them about it.

Now he marked me AWOL even though I put in for FMLA as stated above, now the issue I have now is that he said he would approve it with paperwork that she was at the hospital and he asked me if that was possible I told him I'd ask, now when I got back in touch with him I found out from my wife, that she had to leave the hospital since it was getting overcrowded (I live in the city so it's always a over crowded hospital) and she was sitting in the lobby for 5hrs waiting to get in since they had lack of rooms and higher risk emergencies kept coming in (death emergencies etc). She went to Walgreens to get the covid test done, and now I am in a bind since she was never admitted to the hospital and we have no paperwork for the AWOL to approve even LWOP or Annual or FMLA. The only proof that she went and got the test done was due to the test saying "Pending waiting for results" when she created her account for the test. But the issue also is that the test was 5min compared to waiting at the hospital since she was going to make sure the baby was okay as well.

Could there be advice given for this current situation if the Walgreens test pending will work or not or would you say I am SOL or I would need to reach out to my Shop Stewart about the current issue at hand?
122intheshade  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:46:43 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 520 post(s)
Your supervisor is an ass. Get the steward on it. No AWOL. The fact that he caved tells you all you need to know. Now it's CYA time for him.

As for the hospital, most don't let you sit there with a number. They take your name and insurance, do a quick triage, and then tell you to wait. The hospital likely has some sort of admittance worked up on your wife.

The Walgreens thing is fine too. If anyone thinks you're getting your wife out of the house, down to Walgreens, tested, and back in a few minutes, they are delusional. I've been in the drive-thru at CVS, where the lines is several cars. Because they do their Covid testing in the pickup lane. And you wait. And wait.
Most people just go around and walk inside once they figure that one out.

Do they have the right to ask for proof? Sure, "for the good of the service". But they better have a good reason, otherwise you're being harassed.

The Walgreens by itself is good enough for FMLA. Could have taken FIVE hours. You don't know at the time. Neither does your schmuck supervisor.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
Taitai :-] on 2/14/2021(UTC)
MN Postmaster  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2021 12:34:38 PM(UTC)
MN Postmaster

Man
United States

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Your supv is wrong. And out of line.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you...
thanks 2 users thanked MN Postmaster for this useful post.
Dazedandconfused on 2/14/2021(UTC), Taitai :-] on 2/14/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed