Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

9 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Turtle9654  
#81 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 6:33:44 AM(UTC)
Turtle9654

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Tco audits are being done on the phone for the interview and information is being mailed in right now. I have a friend who is a TCO and I used to be a TCO, so I ask her how they are handling cases.
thanks 1 user thanked Turtle9654 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 2/13/2021(UTC)
@TheBADGUY  
#82 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 12:20:49 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Has anyone seen the opening of the TCO vacancies to the public? it's in several locations, I'm very disappointed to see this posting as I applied for the previous posting and was interviewed and have not heard back since.

https://www.usajobs.gov/...b/ViewDetails/593718900#
whoanotcool  
#83 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 12:58:00 PM(UTC)
whoanotcool

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: @TheBADGUY Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone seen the opening of the TCO vacancies to the public? it's in several locations, I'm very disappointed to see this posting as I applied for the previous posting and was interviewed and have not heard back since.

I know the did hire TCOs in the first round of hiring. Hopefully this round will be quicker!!
thanks 1 user thanked whoanotcool for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 3/1/2021(UTC)
GovtGirl77  
#84 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 1:11:52 PM(UTC)
GovtGirl77

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: whoanotcool Go to Quoted Post

I know the did hire TCOs in the first round of hiring. Hopefully this round will be quicker!!

Us internals from South Atlantic region started today as a TCO. The official training starts Thursday. We are going over a lot of administrative stuff and general job description in detail of them showing us various systems, etc we will be working with. I did hear someone state that more hiring for externals will increase the amount of persons in the class training, so I don't think they are through or either they reposted for more applicants. But don't lose hope, they are still in the process. I'd just say blame it on COVID. We are of course, training virtually from home. :-(

thanks 2 users thanked GovtGirl77 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 3/1/2021(UTC), @TheBADGUY on 3/1/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#85 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 1:57:50 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GovtGirl77 Go to Quoted Post

Us internals from South Atlantic region started today as a TCO. The official training starts Thursday. We are going over a lot of administrative stuff and general job description in detail of them showing us various systems, etc we will be working with. I did hear someone state that more hiring for externals will increase the amount of persons in the class training, so I don't think they are through or either they reposted for more applicants. But don't lose hope, they are still in the process. I'd just say blame it on COVID. We are of course, training virtually from home. :-(

It's interesting that they posted the new TCO announcement, almost identical to the one we applied for. I was assuming that so much time has elapsed since the previous one opened: (06/2020), that they were going to cancel it and repost it. It seems to me something similar is going on, but without officially canceling... Maybe it expired? Who knows if they will still hire through that announcement. It will take at least 2 to 3 months to hire from the new one. Maybe by then, COVID will be on its way down, hopefully.

GovtGirl77  
#86 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 5:49:55 PM(UTC)
GovtGirl77

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

It's interesting that they posted the new TCO announcement, almost identical to the one we applied for. I was assuming that so much time has elapsed since the previous one opened: (06/2020), that they were going to cancel it and repost it. It seems to me something similar is going on, but without officially canceling... Maybe it expired? Who knows if they will still hire through that announcement. It will take at least 2 to 3 months to hire from the new one. Maybe by then, COVID will be on its way down, hopefully.

Yes, but any federal job is a very, tedious and long process. It normally takes at minimum 6 months for positions with a large amount of openings; however, I am sure it can be shorter, I have never witnessed it though. I don't know which announcement they will use; however, keep in mind, they can always use apps from old announcements to fill positions at any time.

I hope you get good news soon. What area did you apply for? You know the more competitive areas are hard to get in.

XFed77  
#87 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 6:07:28 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Yes, but any federal job is a very, tedious and long process. It normally takes at minimum 6 months for positions with a large amount of openings; however, I am sure it can be shorter, I have never witnessed it though. I don't know which announcement they will use; however, keep in mind, they can always use apps from old announcements to fill positions at any time.

I hope you get good news soon. What area did you apply for? You know the more competitive areas are hard to get in.

I have worked at different agencies but mostly with the IRS in the past. I'm returning to the IRS.

The fastest I've been hired was about 45 days. It closed on 10/25 and started on 12/10. The longest was 10 months, for USCIS because they do an extensive background check for officers.

I guess we'll see, but what you say is very realistic: 6 months. I'm hoping it's less, about 4 to 5. HR doesn't have a set timeframe, they have guidelines to take actions for different phases: for example, 30 days after announcement closing, 30 days after referral, 30 days after interviewing...which they can expedite/shorten to a few days or stretch to 45, etc.

I applied for a position in Texas. There are many openings there.

We'll see...

RodoHinote  
#88 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 2:39:55 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I applied to both the TCO, IRA, and IRO positions. I also applied to the TCO position that was posted back in June of last year. I did take the assessment for the TCO back in the fall but never heard back from them. I currently work for the VA. started my federal employment with the IRS, and now I'm wishing that I never left.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 3, 2021 1:14:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
XFed77  
#89 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 3:07:10 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post
I applied to both the TCO, IRA, and IRO positions. I also applied to the TCO position that was posted back in June of last year. I did take the assessment for the TCO back in the fall but never heard back from them. I currently work for the VA. started my federal employment with the IRS, and now I'm wishing that I never left.

I understand.

It's a mystery what happened to external hiring from that TCO announcement that closed back in June 2020. My impression is that it might expire and that's why they have a new announcement. We blame Covid. Maybe they'll surprise us and send a TO for it soon? Who knows. The hiring process is unpredictable.

I'm now focused on the announcements posted yesterday. My gut feeling tells me that the hiring process will take 3 to 5 months.

Let's see.

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 3/3/2021(UTC)
Papoose79  
#90 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 9:32:52 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post

I understand.

It's a mystery what happened to external hiring from that TCO announcement that closed back in June 2020. My impression is that it might expire and that's why they have a new announcement. We blame Covid. Maybe they'll surprise us and send a TO for it soon? Who knows. The hiring process is unpredictable.

I'm now focused on the announcements posted yesterday. My gut feeling tells me that the hiring process will take 3 to 5 months.

Let's see.

Don't feel bad, I am an internal that applied, interviewed well and now nothing. I guess my area isn't in great need right now.
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 3/3/2021(UTC)
teeeeej  
#91 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 8:47:05 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
Tco audits are being done on the phone for the interview and information is being mailed in right now. I have a friend who is a TCO and I used to be a TCO, so I ask her how they are handling cases.

Yep, it's been that way for almost a year now. The TCO job became a lot more fun when we started doing it all from home.

One of my friends who switched from TCO to RA in October seems super stressed out. I hope I don't start longing for TCO. Haha.
XFed77  
#92 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2021 4:28:42 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

EVENA, if you can see this post, I tried to respond to your PM but your inbox is full. You have to clear it to receive messages.

Nick

Edited by user Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:27:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

whoanotcool  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:19:57 AM(UTC)
whoanotcool

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
SB/SE is hosting virtual information sessions for Revenue Agents and Tax Compliance Officers. They are this week. Register here: https://www.jobs.irs.gov...s/our-business-divisions
thanks 1 user thanked whoanotcool for this useful post.
rmbr2018 on 3/12/2021(UTC)
rmbr2018  
#94 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:26:11 PM(UTC)
rmbr2018

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
SB/SE is hosting virtual information sessions for Revenue Agents and Tax Compliance Officers. They are this week. Register here: https://www.jobs.irs.gov...s/our-business-divisions

Thank you for sharing the information, I went to the virtual information session on Friday and it was good.
I applied the TCO position last year and my application status has been changed as Referred to Selection Official now. But there is the new announcement for both RA and TCO positions...it looks like the same as the last year, so I applied it again. We'll see what's going to happen. Hope for the best. :)
Floaty  
#95 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2021 11:22:45 AM(UTC)
Floaty

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I did well in my test and had an interview in Feb 2021. After the interview, I did not get selected. I asked for my rating; 99.5%. I was disappointed but found out that the individuals that interviewed me were known to select also base on color and name. I wish we were all equally interviewed without colors of our skin or our ethnic names being a factor.
Anyways, I shrugged and moved on but got another email 3 weeks later; that my name was selected to the selecting officials again. How odd!

I am discouraged but know that I have the experience to be a great TCO. If I get called for an interview; I will pass it up.
*Do not drown in your own swimming pool*
NoodleCounter  
#96 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 4:22:37 AM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

Dude, be the change that you want to see. Go for it!
XFed77  
#97 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 9:16:57 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Floaty- "I did well in my test and had an interview in Feb 2021. After the interview, I did not get selected. I asked for my rating; 99.5%. I was disappointed but found out that the individuals that interviewed me were known to select also base on color and name. I wish we were all equally interviewed without colors of our skin or our ethnic names being a factor.
Anyways, I shrugged and moved on but got another email 3 weeks later; that my name was selected to the selecting officials again. How odd!

I am discouraged but know that I have the experience to be a great TCO. If I get called for an interview; I will pass it up."

Originally Posted by: NoodleCounter Go to Quoted Post
Dude, be the change that you want to see. Go for it!

If you really want that job, don't get upset because you didn't get it before. Many of us with previous experience and outstanding performance appraisals/credentials had an interview for that job in November 2020, and haven't heard anything.

It might be what you said, but it might not...

Don't sabotage yourself. Just get up and keep coming back. I believe sometimes you have to try 100 times to get 1 victory. Most successful individuals didn't win the first time...

NoodleCounter  
#98 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 9:43:16 PM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

I get to interview for a TCO position. Any recommendations? What should I definitely do and what should I definitely avoid?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#99 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:11:38 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Internal application statuses for the revenue agent posting are changing; it says qualifications under review for some now. Again, doesn’t mean much other than someone went into it and changed it but good to know it’s at least being looked at.
NoodleCounter  
#100 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:32:18 AM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

Myself and a friend both interviewed for a TCO position last week. We believe that this was off of the 2020 announcement. So if you applied for a TCO position in 2021 but not back in 2020 then it could be many months until you receive an interview. Keep the hope! Good luck!

Edited by user Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:32:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed