Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

62 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Spazilton  
#61 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2021 6:45:41 AM(UTC)
Spazilton

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goldscca Go to Quoted Post
I see a lot of people talking about taking the test already and I was wondering if you are all internal or external. I am a GS-11 Auditor for the TTB and I applied for the GS-9 RO position as a TP Vet. On March 9th I received the email stating that my application was received and that "Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review". Being as I am a current GS11 federal employee, a veteran, and have a master's degree in Forensic Accounting I thought I would have a good shot, but seeing so many talk about taking the exam already, now Im not sure.

I'm external but covered under multiple special hiring authorities. CPS Vet. >30%, wife is 100% P&T Vet. March 9th is the same day I got my email. I would imagine that you are already fully qualified for position and there is no reason to administer the ROSA exam to you since you are coming in at the GS-9 level as a transfer. My guess is you would be ranked above even a CPS vet who does well on the initial assessments.

If you and I were competing for one position, you would beat me out especially being a current employee and having the same preference. Luckily for the only city where I will accept a position (I have no ability or desire to move)there are 18 openings.

Edited by user Thursday, March 18, 2021 6:48:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Spazilton  
#62 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2021 6:49:14 AM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Originally Posted by: peteyboy123 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Paul Go to Quoted Post
I did the ROSA exam the other day and it took longer than I had expected to complete it.

The only part that I found challenging was the third part, which I personally felt should have provided more time to complete.

Overall it is not difficult :)

Good luck.

Yes I agree. I rushed through the writing part cause I knew I would be pressed for time then had 5 minutes left at the end and couldn't go back and review my other answers :|

I finished it with 18 seconds to spare :P
brian76  
#63 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2021 8:03:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Now it’s a waiting game for the assessment results! Have a great weekend everyone :)
RodoHinote  
#64 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2021 8:29:30 AM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yes... took the (ROSA) and now.....we wait.

Hmmmm..... Just how long IS the wait for results? Are we allowed to ask this question without penalty?
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
Spazilton  
#65 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2021 5:03:35 PM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post

Hmmmm..... Just how long IS the wait for results? Are we allowed to ask this question without penalty?

From looking around the forums, some say a week or so, others say they never received official results and were even hired.
NoodleCounter  
#66 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2021 11:52:42 AM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

Just how long IS the wait for results? Are we allowed to ask this question without penalty?

Usually 2-3 months after you take the test. Apply and forget.
scottyd27  
#67 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 10:48:07 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spazilton Go to Quoted Post

From looking around the forums, some say a week or so, others say they never received official results and were even hired.

Depends on the hiring schedule.

Also in how long the contractor takes to grade them.
RK  
#68 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 8:55:38 PM(UTC)
RK

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did the ROSA exam the other day and it took longer than I had expected to complete it.

The only part that I found challenging was the third part, which I personally felt should have provided more time to complete.

Good luck.

Yes I agree. I rushed through the writing part cause I knew I would be pressed for time then had 5 minutes left at the end and couldn't go back and review my other answers :|

There was a writing portion?
I just literally took the ROSA too, I genuinely don't remember there being any writing part.. Am i tripping?
Spazilton  
#69 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2021 6:46:29 AM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Originally Posted by: RK Go to Quoted Post

Good luck.

There was a writing portion?
I just literally took the ROSA too, I genuinely don't remember there being any writing part.. Am i tripping?

Without divulging the content of the exam, it was the last section you took. The 25 minute timed portion.

PwCNYC  
#70 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2021 4:27:44 PM(UTC)
PwCNYC

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi all - I just got an invitation to take the Revenue Agent Assessment. What can I expect and how can I prepare for this exam? any suggestions are much appreciated!
RodoHinote  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:48:08 AM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: PwCNYC Go to Quoted Post
Hi all - I just got an invitation to take the Revenue Agent Assessment. What can I expect and how can I prepare for this exam? any suggestions are much appreciated!

I’m not sure if the RA assessment is the same as the RO assessment, so .... yeah. Also, we aren’t allowed to give specifics as to what is on the assessments. All we can do is tell you to take your time and read the directions.
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
scottyd27  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:05:37 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I see a lot of people talking about taking the test already and I was wondering if you are all internal or external. I am a GS-11 Auditor for the TTB and I applied for the GS-9 RO position as a TP Vet. On March 9th I received the email stating that my application was received and that "Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review". Being as I am a current GS11 federal employee, a veteran, and have a master's degree in Forensic Accounting I thought I would have a good shot, but seeing so many talk about taking the exam already, now Im not sure.

Internal candidates generally don’t have to take the ROSA.

At least they didn’t use to. I hadn’t heard it changed
Papoose79  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 6:43:03 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Internal candidates generally don’t have to take the ROSA.

At least they didn’t use to. I hadn’t heard it changed

Internals still do not have to test unless we apply on an external recruitment. I applied on both and yes I had to retake that assessment again. The assessment is pretty easy if you ask me, but on another note, I have received 3 interview invites from the various locations I applied to. Hopefully all goes well and I get selected or at least one of those locations.

Good Luck everyone!
NoodleCounter  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:43:37 PM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

I am a GS-11 Auditor for the TTB and I applied for the GS-9 RO position

I'm just curious, why go down two grades? Will it help you break into (or through) GS 12? Is GS 11 about the furthest that you could go as an auditor for the Tax & Trade Board?
scottyd27  
#75 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:54:49 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: NoodleCounter Go to Quoted Post

I'm just curious, why go down two grades? Will it help you break into (or through) GS 12? Is GS 11 about the furthest that you could go as an auditor for the Tax & Trade Board?

Because that’s the entry positions. 7 or 9.

As he’s internal he’ll have pay retention. So he won’t loose money.
RodoHinote  
#76 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 12:37:41 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

Since this is a voluntary transfer to a lower grade in another position, he won't lose money if his pay is the same or less than a (GS-09 step 10) at the POD where he's hired as an RO. If for example, he's a GS-11, step 10 as an Auditor for TTB, he will be placed at the highest step possible as an entry-level RO: GS-09 step 10, so he will actually be making less money. Pay retention can't be more than step 10 at the grade you are going to if it is a voluntary transfer.

On the other hand, if he's a GS-11 step 1 through 5 at TTB, he might even get more money for going down in grade because they place him at the step equal to or immediately more than his pay as a GS-11 if it's between the 10 steps of the GS-09 of his POD.

In some instances, there is pay retention of 100% to a lower grade if it was a Management decision to transfer the employee through no fault of his own.

https://www.opm.gov/poli...ximum-payable-rate-rule/

https://www.opm.gov/poli...ct-sheets/pay-retention/

What about someone in my situation? I’m seeing responses to questions for someone who applied internal. What about someone who applies external, but from another federal agency like SSA, VHA/VBA, TSA, etc.? If someone like myself who is a GS-7 (soon to be 9) applied to both the 7 and 9 positions, and were offered the 7 just after being promoted to a 9, will they also qualify for pay retention, or are people like this just out of luck. I ask this, because I myself work for another federal agency, and while I applied to both the 7 and 9, I can very well be offered the position at the GS 7, and knowing that within a few weeks from now I’m due for a promotion to GS 9.
MAK94  
#77 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 12:45:59 PM(UTC)
MAK94

United States

Since this is a voluntary transfer to a lower grade in another position, he won't lose money if his pay is the same or less than a (GS-09 step 10) at the POD where he's hired as an RO. If for example, he's a GS-11, step 10 as an Auditor for TTB, he will be placed at the highest step possible as an entry-level RO: GS-09 step 10, so he will actually be making less money. Pay retention can't be more than step 10 at the grade you are going to if it is a voluntary transfer.

On the other hand, if he's a GS-11 step 1 through 5 at TTB, he might even get more money for going down in grade because they place him at the step equal to or immediately more than his pay as a GS-11 if it's between the 10 steps of the GS-09 of his POD.

In some instances, there is pay retention of 100% to a lower grade if it was a Management decision to transfer the employee through no fault of his own.

What about someone in my situation? I’m seeing responses to questions for someone who applied internal. What about someone who applies external, but from another federal agency like SSA, VHA/VBA, TSA, etc.? If someone like myself who is a GS-7 (soon to be 9) applied to both the 7 and 9 positions, and were offered the 7 just after being promoted to a 9, will they also qualify for pay retention, or are people like this just out of luck. I ask this, because I myself work for another federal agency, and while I applied to both the 7 and 9, I can very well be offered the position at the GS 7, and knowing that within a few weeks from now I’m due for a promotion to GS 9.

I am currently an RO and I transferred in from another agency. I was matched at the same grade and step as the agency I left upon being hired . I’m not sure how it would work for you since you wouldn’t have a year time in grade at a 9 but I hope this helps some what .
XFed77  
#78 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 12:59:23 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 84 post(s)

You must have been at the GS-09 at least 90 days for you to get the pay retention per the OPM "Maximum payable rate rule" that I posted above. It doesn't matter what agency you are coming from, as long as it is a federal agency. Here is the excerpt:

(The highest previous rate must be a rate of basic pay received by an employee while serving-

"On a regular tour of duty under an appointment not limited to 90 days or less; or
For a continuous period of not less than 90 days under one or more appointments without a break in service.")

So, let's say that you get the GS-07 as an RO. You will only get the same pay at the step you are right now, (as MAK94 posted was his experience on the previous post). So, for example, if you are a GS-07 step 1, you will be a GS-07 step 1 as an RO for 1 year.

If you become a GS-09 RO, then it worked out well for you.

Per the OPM, no one is forcing you to leave the job where you are at, in which you are going to get a promotion to a GS-09 soon, to become a GS-07 at another position. It is your choice, it is a gamble on your part. And this applies to Dept. of Treasury employees and other Federal Agency employees.

If you get the GS-07, even if you lose on the GS-09 promotion, it may pay off for you in the future if you are at a position where the promotion potential is lower than the RO.

Decisions/Choices...

Edited by user Thursday, March 25, 2021 1:06:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 3/25/2021(UTC)
Cephas219  
#79 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 8:29:34 PM(UTC)
Cephas219

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I applied to another IRS position a year and a half ago as a GS 7 and as a 9. I was more than fully qualified for the 9. After a short interview, I was offered the 7. I asked about the 9. The interviewer looked over my information, and agreed, I was qualified, and promptly offered me the 9. Apparently there were separate folders for my application at each grade. When in doubt, ask.
thanks 1 user thanked Cephas219 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 3/27/2021(UTC)
RodoHinote  
#80 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2021 9:40:23 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Cephas219 Go to Quoted Post

I applied to another IRS position a year and a half ago as a GS 7 and as a 9. I was more than fully qualified for the 9. After a short interview, I was offered the 7. I asked about the 9. The interviewer looked over my information, and agreed, I was qualified, and promptly offered me the 9. Apparently there were separate folders for my application at each grade. When in doubt, ask.

Thanks, I will.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed