Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
voxman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 9:54:28 PM(UTC)
voxman

Groups: Registered
Italy

Hi I am a GS-12 for the Navy. Been an IT for the Navy for over 25 years, went GS in the last 5 years. Been overseas for most of my career and looking to go back to my home state of Texas as I am getting older now. Texas doesn't have much for Navy positions, but the Army does, and they consistently hunt for more experienced ITs to fill their ranks. I applied for 5 GS-12 positions and been interviewed for one. It went very well. I am confident and a good interviewer. I found that I translated my Navy knowledge to Army pretty well. I also explained that I felt that by take that first step to the Army in Germany would help me learn the Army way of doing things at the tip of the spear and better prepare me for the final leg of my career with the Army in Texas. But I couldn't help but sense that some of the panel member seem to not get that ARMY and Navy IT are not apple and oranges. Both use mobile, deployed communication's systems but in different geography. Not sure, maybe I need to learn how to speak Army. I have worked with several guys who are retired Army and they made the transition well into Navy IT.

So anyone out there work in Army IT have any advice for my future interviews. I appreciate an Army perceptive on things. Thanks!
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 9:45:09 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: voxman Go to Quoted Post
Hi I am a GS-12 for the Navy. Been an IT for the Navy for over 25 years, went GS in the last 5 years. Been overseas for most of my career and looking to go back to my home state of Texas as I am getting older now. Texas doesn't have much for Navy positions, but the Army does, and they consistently hunt for more experienced ITs to fill their ranks. I applied for 5 GS-12 positions and been interviewed for one. It went very well. I am confident and a good interviewer. I found that I translated my Navy knowledge to Army pretty well. I also explained that I felt that by take that first step to the Army in Germany would help me learn the Army way of doing things at the tip of the spear and better prepare me for the final leg of my career with the Army in Texas. But I couldn't help but sense that some of the panel member seem to not get that ARMY and Navy IT are not apple and oranges. Both use mobile, deployed communication's systems but in different geography. Not sure, maybe I need to learn how to speak Army. I have worked with several guys who are retired Army and they made the transition well into Navy IT.

So anyone out there work in Army IT have any advice for my future interviews. I appreciate an Army perceptive on things. Thanks!

I work in Army IT and have several coworkers in Germany right now, and another one on his way there once he gets his FO. They are legit hurting for people right now to go over there. What GS level are you right now if you don't mind me asking?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed