Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kickjump  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 1:50:43 AM(UTC)
Kickjump

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I can only speak from our stations similar issue when a coworker had a mental break, he also had criminal charges. He scared us, a lot. He was seeing a mental health professional so we were told as long as their doctor says he can work, they are safe to be here. Eventually he was so sick that he no longer works here and we changed the locks to the PO. I think
He was AWOL for the last couple months as well. Sorry to hear what your office is going through, I do know how scary and stressful it can feel.
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 7:00:47 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1010 time(s) in 816 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JustSomeClerk Go to Quoted Post
I understand the medical side of it. I thought perhaps the criminal side might be the basis of termination, since it is a second degree felony arson. What if he flips at work and sets the building afire?

Not to dismiss your concerns, but what if you flipped and started the building on fire? Should you be terminate you because you might do something?

This is not the movie Minority Report from 2002.
Those who are, know those who are not.

If you think they are after you, what did you do wrong?
thanks 3 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
The Postmaster on 4/4/2021(UTC), canyoneer on 4/4/2021(UTC), Ihatemanagement on 4/4/2021(UTC)
The Postmaster  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:27:12 AM(UTC)
The Postmaster

Man
United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 109 post(s)
I have been in this situation as well. The USPS has to follow the law, and if they have to employ these individuals we have to deal with it. Plan ahead for what you would do if you or others were in danger. Knowing how you are going to deal with it may make things less stressful.
thanks 2 users thanked The Postmaster for this useful post.
canyoneer on 4/4/2021(UTC), Kickjump on 4/5/2021(UTC)
roger.d  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 10:22:38 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
I understand the medical side of it. I thought perhaps the criminal side might be the basis of termination, since it is a second degree felony arson. What if he flips at work and sets the building afire?

Not to dismiss your concerns, but what if you flipped and started the building on fire? Should you be terminate you because you might do something?

This is not the movie Minority Report from 2002.

This seems very dismissive. The difference between me and my co-worker is that I a.) have not been hospitalized for a psychotic break b.) have not been arrested for starting a fire in my own family's home with the intent of burning it to the ground, and c.) do not have a single documented incidence of AWOL from ANY job, much less the USPS. We're talking possibilities vs. probabilities here. It IS possible that any one of us could flip and set the building afire. It's more PROBABLE that someone who has documented mental health issues AND an active case involving arson would.

Contact the Inspection Services with your concerns.

canyoneer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 6:32:39 PM(UTC)
canyoneer

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
How do you know all this information about this person’s mental health issues? That should have been kept private to begin with. Someone must be flapping their gums at your office. As someone who has suffered from mental health problems its not right that this employee’s private health issues are being made public at your office. Like another person said, worry about yourself. Prepare in any legal way that you can to protect yourself in the workplace. Avoidance is usually the easiest way to not get involved in confrontations. Pretend you’re invisible. It worked for me when workplace drama happened. We can always worry about the “what if’s?” but there’s not much you or I can do about them. If it bothers you that much find another office to transfer to.
thanks 1 user thanked canyoneer for this useful post.
The Postmaster on 4/5/2021(UTC)
tic32003  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 5:32:17 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)

I have witnessed some of this employee's breakdown, as some of it has occurred at work. I fielded the phone call from his wife asking us if we had seen him, since he hadn't been home in several days and was last seen walking from the post office. His arrests and court cases are public information. So you see, I have done what I can do to prepare myself for the INEVITABLE, and I will protect myself by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, regardless of the "legality". I will NOT "pretend I'm invisible", nor will I find another office to transfer to.

It must be terrible to be so scared. You sound pretty unstable and like you're just *looking* for trouble. You might want to see about some counseling for yourself. I sure hope this guy doesn't make any sudden moves or loud noises around you because from what you wrote above, it sounds like you are illegally armed and ready to murder this guy if he so much as sneezes wrong around you.
Seadogg  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 9:26:09 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 616 time(s) in 437 post(s)
Don't you feel accomplished by demeaning a fellow employee, and dismissing a valid concern? You must be an EAS member.

I agree with some of the other posters. You sound just as dangerous as the other guy.
roger.d  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 10:39:33 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

OP, have you purchased the largest fire extinguisher available to have at your work area?

You shouldn't need someone on an internet forum tell you that.

MPE2009  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 4:57:17 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 636 time(s) in 517 post(s)
Don't you feel accomplished by demeaning a fellow employee, and dismissing a valid concern? You must be an EAS member.

I understand your concern, but you're being equally dismissive and demeaning with your comments. I doubt EAS wish to be shot or burned alive anymore than you do. You also miss the point that EAS are also responsible for upholding the law and cannot simply "fire" him because of your or their fear. There are legal requirements that come into play. I'd love to be able to give you an easy fix for this problem, but there simply isn't one. Should have left your posts up instead of deleting them, the question you posed and the topic is important and worthy of discussion.

JustSomeClerk  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 6:04:34 PM(UTC)
JustSomeClerk

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I do see your point. I just feel like it was better to delete my OP and following commentary. I'm usually not as thin skinned, but given the entire landscape concerning violent attacks/insurrections, etc, I really don't have the strength to fight being piled up on because I have a legitimate concern. I would have deleted the entire topic were that possible. By all means, if continued discussion is valuable and worth talking about, please continue on. I will go back dark for now.
EagleDog  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 10:26:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 336 time(s) in 267 post(s)
I have done what I can do to prepare myself for the INEVITABLE, and I will protect myself by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, regardless of the "legality"

Wow.
Not cool.
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
Rss Feed  Atom Feed