Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

31 Pages«<1920212223>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
athena79  
#401 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2021 8:14:22 PM(UTC)
athena79

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 36

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if anybody heard the rumors that they will start to hire or promote after March 31st. I was talking to a a friend at the phone center and that is what they heard. But I am taking it with a grain of salt.


According the following article (which is about a month old now, so I don't know if it is accurate anymore), the freeze seems to be in place at least until the end of March. Can anyone within the agency confirm?

https://www.govexec.com/...er-hiring-freeze/171221/

Also, does anyone know if this statement "More than one-in-five USCIS positions sat vacant prior to the pandemic’s outset" is true?

Thanks!
XFed77  
#402 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 10:21:43 AM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 255
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 69 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)

I just saw the announcement for the Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (RECRUITMENT AND PLACEMENT) who will be the Supervisor of the Supervisory HR Specialists at the USCIS Human Resources Operation Center in South Vermont!

Responsibilities:

Provides technical and administrative direction to a branch of supervisory HR Specialists, HR Specialists, HR Assistants, and Student Interns that accomplish work involving recruitment and placement activities.

Provides US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) managers and supervisors with the most effective and efficient means for achieving comprehensive recruitment and placement services.

This is the announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/591939400

This is good news!

Let the hiring begin!

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
jaxberlin on 2/10/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#403 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:46:52 AM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 255
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 69 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if anybody heard the rumors that they will start to hire or promote after March 31st. I was talking to a a friend at the phone center and that is what they heard. But I am taking it with a grain of salt.


According the following article (which is about a month old now, so I don't know if it is accurate anymore), the freeze seems to be in place at least until the end of March. Can anyone within the agency confirm?

https://www.govexec.com/...er-hiring-freeze/171221/

Also, does anyone know if this statement "More than one-in-five USCIS positions sat vacant prior to the pandemic’s outset" is true?

Thanks!


As there were Mass hiring announcements for the NBC, VSC, and other Service Centers and regular hirings at Field Offices affected/canceled/rescinded by the Hiring Freeze implemented on November 23rd of 2019, it seems accurate that there are a high number of vacancies and an enormous backload of cases. There's usually a high turnover for ISO positions anyway and they're a year behind in hiring. It sounds about right.

Thanks for the article you shared. It is important to note that this article is dated January 6th, 2021, (Biden had not been sworn in and USCIS was still under the Trump Administration and it's Anti-Immigration policies.)

As the author of the article stated:

"Biden will take office Jan. 20, at which point his administration could reverse what Trump officials are currently telling the USCIS workforce."

So, a lot of what was said was under the wishful thinking and Anti-Immigration mindset/Agenda of the soon to be replaced Trump Administration. USCIS is still hiring Administrators and Decision Makers so yes, it can take a while, but I know they will catch up on the hiring. The freeze was not all Covid related. A lot of it was politically motivated even if the previous administration and the remaining Minions' talking points say otherwise. USCIS fees were routed to ICE, CBP, and Border Patrol with the intent to sabotage USCIS. Just as funds from the Pentagon were routed for "The Fence"...

Edited by user Thursday, February 11, 2021 9:01:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

XFed77  
#404 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 9:06:24 PM(UTC)
XFed77

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2019(UTC)
Posts: 255
United States
Location: USA

Thanks: 69 times
Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
This is the first Non-Management USCIS position hiring announcement, Immigration Services Assistant, I have seen in a long, looong time... for months or even a year or more:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/593394000

We're almost in March so hopefully, it's the start of the hiring of other than management positions including ISOs...

Edited by user Thursday, February 25, 2021 9:10:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
Baljohn on 2/28/2021(UTC), @TheBADGUY on 3/1/2021(UTC)
Baljohn  
#405 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 2:35:19 PM(UTC)
Baljohn

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States
Location: New Orleans

Thanks: 3 times
I really hope so. I really want an ISA position at PSC or TSC.
Megs2693  
#406 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2021 7:33:54 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/16/2018(UTC)
Posts: 24

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Rumor here is that the agency hiring freeze will be lifted sometime in April .... each individual division though will still have to evaluate their budgets to determine how much they have to spend on promotions and filling vacancies. There are not going to be mass postings in April, it will be a much slower process as each division slowly opens things back up. I know for a fact that FOD’s hiring freeze is going to last longer by a couple months based off of town hall meetings from Washington DC. At this point our local leadership is still saying that this news is “unofficial” but they confirming that this is the rumor going around.
thanks 1 user thanked Megs2693 for this useful post.
Baljohn on 3/7/2021(UTC)
specializedRB  
#407 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:05:00 AM(UTC)
specializedRB

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/21/2018(UTC)
Posts: 15
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Any specific updates regarding service centers hiring needs and vacancies? Interested in coming back.
Mike in VT  
#408 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:04:15 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post
Any specific updates regarding service centers hiring needs and vacancies? Interested in coming back.

any hiring news has been general and not specific
Mukapuka  
#409 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 1:05:05 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 134
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I just got this in my email. Regarding the hiring freeze. I was so close to getting this position but things happen for a reason. While waiting for the freeze to lift I applied to another agency and got in. I will wait for ISO positions to open up in the future. I’m sad that the tiny hope has ended but one day.
I have heard that it will take a long time for USCIS to start hiring again due to their financial issues. I heard this from an ex top leader. Anyways here is the email I got from USCIS.

This is to notify you that the agency has canceled the vacancy to which you applied:

Announcement Number: Xxxxx
Position: IMMIGRATION SERVICES ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION)
Hiring Office: Xxxxxx Field Office
Location: xxxxxx

Thank you for your interest in Federal employment with the Department of Homeland Security.
Mike in VT  
#410 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 5:50:47 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I just got this in my email. Regarding the hiring freeze. I was so close to getting this position but things happen for a reason. While waiting for the freeze to lift I applied to another agency and got in. I will wait for ISO positions to open up in the future. I’m sad that the tiny hope has ended but one day.
I have heard that it will take a long time for USCIS to start hiring again due to their financial issues. I heard this from an ex top leader. Anyways here is the email I got from USCIS.

This is to notify you that the agency has canceled the vacancy to which you applied:

Announcement Number: Xxxxx
Position: IMMIGRATION SERVICES ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION)
Hiring Office: Xxxxxx Field Office
Location: xxxxxx

Thank you for your interest in Federal employment with the Department of Homeland Security.


definitely take the 'sure thing' position and reapply when jobs are possibly posted next month.
daddythedonkey  
#411 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 3:05:56 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 130

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I just got this in my email. Regarding the hiring freeze. I was so close to getting this position but things happen for a reason. While waiting for the freeze to lift I applied to another agency and got in. I will wait for ISO positions to open up in the future. I’m sad that the tiny hope has ended but one day.
I have heard that it will take a long time for USCIS to start hiring again due to their financial issues. I heard this from an ex top leader. Anyways here is the email I got from USCIS.

This is to notify you that the agency has canceled the vacancy to which you applied:

Announcement Number: Xxxxx
Position: IMMIGRATION SERVICES ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION)
Hiring Office: Xxxxxx Field Office
Location: xxxxxx

Thank you for your interest in Federal employment with the Department of Homeland Security.


This actually could be a positive in the sense that, maybe, the agency is clearing the slate in order to restart hiring. Why revisit candidates from over a year ago? Just start fresh. Would make sense.
Mukapuka  
#412 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:25:21 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 134
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I think with what is going on down in the border that there might be openings for Asylum Officers since the cases have jumped. Let’s keep our fingers cross for hiring to come in April 2021.
Mike in VT  
#413 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 6:46:51 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I think with what is going on down in the border that there might be openings for Asylum Officers since the cases have jumped. Let’s keep our fingers cross for hiring to come in April 2021.


need for more IJs is another part of the equation
Mukapuka  
#414 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 7:07:10 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 134
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
What are IJs ?
GreatlakesISO  
#415 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 3:10:05 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/12/2019(UTC)
Posts: 17
United States

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Immigration Judges. Also, I hope there are openings coming to USCIS, even with everything that has happened this past year, I still think USCIS is a great place to work. Hope to see you join us soon!

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
What are IJs ?


Mukapuka  
#416 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 11:51:59 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 134
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Okay so after getting the position has been canceled email I received this email not so long ago.

This is crazy !!!!!!! ....... I’m currently a gs7 with another federal agency...





Hello Xxxxx xxxxxx
I am reaching out to request confirmation of your continued interest in the tentative offer of Immigration Services Assistant OA, GS-6
Please note, due to the hiring freeze, we are unable to onboard you at this time and your offer remains on hold in its current stage.
Please reply to this email by 4/5/2021 by either confirming your continued interest or declining the position.
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

jaxberlin  
#417 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:30:59 PM(UTC)
jaxberlin

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/6/2019(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've just received the same email. I received another one from HR about two weeks ago as well, so it looks like we're slowly seeing some movement here. Won't be overnight, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel. :-)

Edited by user Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:32:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike in VT  
#418 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 3:50:22 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Okay so after getting the position has been canceled email I received this email not so long ago.

This is crazy !!!!!!! ....... I’m currently a gs7 with another federal agency...





Hello Xxxxx xxxxxx
I am reaching out to request confirmation of your continued interest in the tentative offer of Immigration Services Assistant OA, GS-6
Please note, due to the hiring freeze, we are unable to onboard you at this time and your offer remains on hold in its current stage.
Please reply to this email by 4/5/2021 by either confirming your continued interest or declining the position.
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.



Hang in there. I've been through this roller coaster ride before with other agencies. USCIS isn't the only one who does this. Just hang in there. In the past, I've made it deep into several position processes, only for the announcements to be cancelled or quick changes to the hiring pool goals.

Mukapuka  
#419 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 5:49:05 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 134
Location: Texas

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I told uscis that I was still interested in the position. Not sure when the freeze will lift and when start date would be.
Mike in VT  
#420 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:50:54 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,252

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I told uscis that I was still interested in the position. Not sure when the freeze will lift and when start date would be.


When it comes to federal hiring, do your best to sit back and put your efforts into other things until things move forward. They're probably still trying to figure out the logistics of how they want to conduct basic training and life post-virus. There's a lot to consider.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
31 Pages«<1920212223>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.453 seconds.