Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Orioles>Nats  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 7:08:13 AM(UTC)
Orioles>Nats

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a bit confused on when my grade promotion date would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Let’s say I did a lateral & transferred agencies as a GS-12 on April 1, 2020. The new position is a 12/13. On April 12, 2020 I received a step increase at the new agency.

Would my expected grade promotion date be April 1, 2021 or April 12, 2021?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 7:40:08 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1127 time(s) in 897 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Orioles> Go to Quoted Post
I am a bit confused on when my grade promotion date would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Let’s say I did a lateral & transferred agencies as a GS-12 on April 1, 2020. The new position is a 12/13. On April 12, 2020 I received a step increase at the new agency.

Would my expected grade promotion date be April 1, 2021 or April 12, 2021?
Depends on what your current step is. For example, if you step increase takes you to step 5 (or higher), then you want them to wait until the pay period after your step increase, as that would place you at GS13, step 2 after promotion (vs step 1). If not, then you would want the grade increase first, but typically it would occur the pay period after you hit the 52 weeks TIG.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Orioles>Nats on 4/6/2021(UTC)
Orioles>Nats  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 7:48:33 AM(UTC)
Orioles>Nats

United States

Current step is 12 step 3.

What I am asking is when does the 52 weeks TIG begin? Date of transfer (April 1) or date of last step increase (April 12)?
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 1:28:07 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

What I am asking is when does the 52 weeks TIG begin? Date of transfer (April 1) or date of last step increase (April 12)?
They could promote you any time if you lateralled over, but I would suggest you ask your HR/supervisor as your agency rules may be very specific.

ex-military  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 4:41:25 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

They could promote you any time if you lateralled over, but I would suggest you ask your HR/supervisor as your agency rules may be very specific.

Something else to keep in mind: that promotion from 12 to 13 isn't automatic. Supervisor has to recommend it and say that you are meeting the performance requirements. Its usually not an issue, but still...
Orioles>Nats  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 4:55:40 AM(UTC)
Orioles>Nats

United States

Appreciate the help.

The transfer was a lateral but into different series. If the transfer were in the same series I think it would be as simple as promote anytime.

In this situation, I’m thinking April 1 should be the date one should see their grade increase taking effect, assuming there are no performance issues. Because at that point, 52 weeks were spent as GS-12 in the new series.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 7:15:49 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

TIG begins 52 weeks after you entered the GS12 grade. That appears to have been 3 years ago, so TIG is NOT the issue. The issue you have (and need to ask your agency) is the TIG required (you already have that) or Time in the Position required (and how many weeks is required)? You changed job series? That can impact the timing of a promotion (need 52 weeks specialized experience) as you can have TIG but not the required specialized experience.

The agency or your office may have a policy that requires you to spend X number of weeks before being eligible. Regardless, your supervisor has to actively submit you for the increase in grade.

This is the best anyone here can provide you as we are not in your agency or office and so do not know what rules apply there.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 6, 2021 7:17:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed