Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cheesefan  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 5:56:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What was the lawyers role during your retirement package?
How helpful where they with filling out FLMA documents?
Guidence?
Doctor statements?

I'm curious what others have experienced. I will be sharing my experience once I get it all typed up
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 11:07:56 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 339 time(s) in 294 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cheesefan Go to Quoted Post
Guidence?
Doctor statements?

I'm curious what others have experienced. I will be sharing my experience once I get it all typed up
My attorney was unbelievable. He crafted the entire presentation, reading it even made me gasp. With that said I still was not successful at Stage 1. My Doctor spoke with the attorney and thought he was outstanding! I can't see why your attorney is needed to fill out a FMLA request?

StB  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:09:57 PM(UTC)
StB

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
My case was cut and dry, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I have a terminal disease, my SSDI was approved in just a few days after I submitted it. My application took me a week and many tears to write up because it was the first time I was putting into words my condition and the mental effects of knowing I am dying. I had medical notes that reflected both the illness, the inevitable outcome, and the mental effects. I have always been an excellent writer and helped my PCP write the letter needed by the application. I provided my oncologist with a copy of the application and the supporting documents so her letter would address the diagnosis and provided a similar package for my mental health provider, requesting office notes in place of a letter.

I was able to do this without an attorney because I was supported with letters from my supervisor and HR stating I couldn’t perform my job and they could not transfer me to another position. I had all the medical documentation, including the laboratory diagnosis and the notes mentioned above.

Again, my situation was cut and dry. No question as to whether or not I qualified. I was approved for the retirement pension three months after application.
We are all made up of stardust 💫
cheesefan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 8, 2021 6:51:40 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Guidence?
Doctor statements?

My attorney was unbelievable. He crafted the entire presentation, reading it even made me gasp. With that said I still was not successful at Stage 1. My Doctor spoke with the attorney and thought he was outstanding! I can't see why your attorney is needed to fill out a FMLA request?

Would you mind sharing which lawyer you used? I might PM you a bit more details. I don't even know how my case was "presented" besides what forms I have filed out. I thought it would be more like an "opening statement" that I see on tv. Painting the story and then all the documents to support such situtation. It seems like all the lawyer ever did was just forward what I submitted.
cheesefan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 8, 2021 7:01:15 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: StB Go to Quoted Post
My case was cut and dry, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I have a terminal disease, my SSDI was approved in just a few days after I submitted it. My application took me a week and many tears to write up because it was the first time I was putting into words my condition and the mental effects of knowing I am dying. I had medical notes that reflected both the illness, the inevitable outcome, and the mental effects. I have always been an excellent writer and helped my PCP write the letter needed by the application. I provided my oncologist with a copy of the application and the supporting documents so her letter would address the diagnosis and provided a similar package for my mental health provider, requesting office notes in place of a letter.

I was able to do this without an attorney because I was supported with letters from my supervisor and HR stating I couldn’t perform my job and they could not transfer me to another position. I had all the medical documentation, including the laboratory diagnosis and the notes mentioned above.

Again, my situation was cut and dry. No question as to whether or not I qualified. I was approved for the retirement pension three months after application.

I am happy to hear that yours went quickly, i hope you are feeling better

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
StB on 4/8/2021(UTC)
StB  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 8, 2021 6:31:37 PM(UTC)
StB

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)

I am happy to hear that yours went quickly, i hope you are feeling better

Thank you. Ironically, I feel fine physically. I was diagnosed two years ago this week with a disease that has a five year survival rate of 8%. Only thing on my bucket list is to go to the opening of the hundred year time capsule we buried in 1976. The rest of my goals are just life, travel, family and fun.

Take care, good luck with your application process.

We are all made up of stardust 💫
Rss Feed  Atom Feed