Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cbqueen  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2021 10:56:09 AM(UTC)
cbqueen

Groups: Registered
United States

I got an opportunity for a schedule c job at an agency that recently just confirmed their cabinet secretary.

I am originally from Miami and mainly worked for non-profits. I recently moved to DC for another non-profit role, got laid off, and got a call about this opportunity.

I am familiar with the USAJOBS process as I’ve sent over 100+ applications but I am completely new to this schedule c/appointee process and the internet really doesn’t offer much when it comes to this question. All I find is the plum book description(which also was very new to me).

The process seems a bit vague and I don’t understand why. I’m anal when it comes to these things as I like full transparency when it comes to roles I’m being considered for so I don’t make any mistakes that may hinder my candidacy. I’m also confused as to why the process is so different compared to USAJOBS (which is very thorough).

The SES person who would potentially be my boss informed me that they passed my resume onto the personnel team and that the process has been incredibly slow– I'm not sure what happens next or how normally these resumes are handled.

While I understand and empathize with the slow pace, I am feeling frustrated with the lack of information as I have been unemployed and my finances are beginning to dwindle.

If anyone could offer any insight that would be great. Thanks in advance.
10years2retire  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2021 3:04:10 PM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
From what I've heard, like all presidential appointees, once the Pres or his appointee signs your appointment document then your hired and start filling in the background check. Best start working on lists of employers for the past 10 years, lists of foreign countries you have traveled to in the past 7 years, and the names, addresses, and birth dates of all immediate relatives
thanks 1 user thanked 10years2retire for this useful post.
cbqueen on 4/10/2021(UTC)
cbqueen  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:47:44 AM(UTC)
cbqueen

United States

Originally Posted by: 10years2retire Go to Quoted Post
From what I've heard, like all presidential appointees, once the Pres or his appointee signs your appointment document then your hired and start filling in the background check. Best start working on lists of employers for the past 10 years, lists of foreign countries you have traveled to in the past 7 years, and the names, addresses, and birth dates of all immediate relatives

Thanks so much. I started filling out those forms just to pass the time and be ready for when the time comes. I appreciate your response; I guess I will post an update whenever I get hired and onboarded so folks can have a point of reference if this question ever comes up again!
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 3:20:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1127 time(s) in 897 post(s)
Also note that because Schedule C is a "political" position, it is at will (ie, you can be let go for any reason) with little recourse available (EEO for example is available to you, but MSPB is not likely to be an option). Also, when the administrations change, your position (or at least you) will be one of those that leave. In addition, the transition to a competitive service position receives greater scrutiny from OPM to prevent political appointees from "burrowing in" to agencies. Doesn't mean you can't apply to announcements, but you will have less hassle if you find and get a position in a different agency (ie Not going from Army to Navy, but going from DoD to Dept of Interior).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed