Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

44 Pages«<2021222324>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wiz_10  
#421 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:25:32 AM(UTC)
Wiz_10

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billsmafia Go to Quoted Post
Question: I just found out I passed my phase 2 test. When would you recommend telling my employer? I am relatively new at the job and I don't want to hurt my status at the company if I disclose too soon that I am in the running for another position. Do you have any recommendations about when and how to tell my employer? I obviously want to let them know before they start getting calls related to the background check, but I don't want to tell them too soon in case I am somehow disqualified from the position.

Thanks!

So take this with a grain a salt as the speed of things tend to vary by field office as well as the applicant themselves but they’ve yet to contact my employer/references and I accepted my CAO in December of 2020. For reference, he’s my timeline so far:

CAO: 12/20
PSI: 1/21
Poly #1: 2/21
Poly #2: 3/21
Medical: 4/21

I’d say you have at least a few months before they’re contacted. Someone with more experience can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe they don’t contact your bosses/references until you pass the poly.

thanks 2 users thanked Wiz_10 for this useful post.
billsmafia on 4/10/2021(UTC), S. Florida Chick on 4/28/2021(UTC)
MidWest_FBI  
#422 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:27:19 AM(UTC)
MidWest_FBI

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Question: I just found out I passed my phase 2 test. When would you recommend telling my employer? I am relatively new at the job and I don't want to hurt my status at the company if I disclose too soon that I am in the running for another position. Do you have any recommendations about when and how to tell my employer? I obviously want to let them know before they start getting calls related to the background check, but I don't want to tell them too soon in case I am somehow disqualified from the position.

Thanks!

I will keep it low. Background checks are done for various reasons, and the agent who calls your reference never disclose about your job /employment or for what position. So do not worry.
( also depends on how supportive your supervisor or employer is?, some may retaliate you. But also if you leave after trained for new position, the supervisor will not be happy about the cost and time spent training you. So, Its your call).

By law, you have to give 2* weeks prior notice, and your employer should understand the importance of FBI training and job to serve the nation.

Applied: Sept
Interview: Oct
CJO offer: Feb
CJO Accepted: Mar
PSI: Mar
Poly passed: Apr
DT/FP: Apr
BI: Not Started Yet
thanks 2 users thanked MidWest_FBI for this useful post.
billsmafia on 4/10/2021(UTC), S. Florida Chick on 4/28/2021(UTC)
nitro17  
#423 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 1:17:48 PM(UTC)
nitro17

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thanks!

This is tough... since you just passed phase II, you have not done your PSI or Poly. That process alone will probably take about a month. After that, if you pass your poly they will schedule your medical and do that. Sometime around then they will probably kick off reaching out to your references. It is likely, but not required, that your investigator will reach out to you when he is starting to interview your contacts. I'd say, you are probably safe not saying anything to your employer until after you've passed your poly. And if you want to take the risk, you could wait until your investigator contacts you when he starts contacting your references.

Edited by user Saturday, April 10, 2021 1:21:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IAdreamin  
#424 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 6:59:06 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sk_Cac Go to Quoted Post

I will keep it low. Background checks are done for various reasons, and the agent who calls your reference never disclose about your job /employment or for what position. So do not worry.
( also depends on how supportive your supervisor or employer is?, some may retaliate you. But also if you leave after trained for new position, the supervisor will not be happy about the cost and time spent training you. So, Its your call).

By law, you have to give 2* weeks prior notice, and your employer should understand the importance of FBI training and job to serve the nation.

None of this is true lol.

I'm taking the IA route, the app process is a bit different, but BI usually follows the same pattern. My employer was contacted about 2 months after my poly. Y'all have meds somewhere in there so take that timeline with a grain of salt. I was contacted by an investigator the day before he contacted my current employer. He asked if I needed a day or two to let them know he'd be calling. I can't speak for everyone in the IA thread, but I know there were others who were extended the same courtesy. Fwiw, I wasn't given a heads up on any other references being contacted. I have references sprinkled throughout the country so multiple investigators were involved and none of the others reached out before calling anyone. Heck, the same guy that contacted my employer called my close friends just before he called me. I was just informed before my employer was contacted.

I had also just been promoted and was still undergoing my promotional training. The investigator spoke to my supervisors and my most recent trainer. I saw her the next night while she worked OT and she told me that she spoke highly of me and thinks I'd be a great FBI employee. I actually didn't even list her as a reference so didn't know they'd talk to her and didn't warn her, but it was very clear that I was being investigated for employment purposes.

TL;DR- I'd probably let someone know 2 weeks after the poly or right after meds, whichever comes first. There's also a chance they give you a warning first, but not guaranteed.

IA Applicant
Applied: Sep 26 2018
PI: Dec 6 2018
PII: Dec 11 2018 (Jan 17 2019)
PIII: Nov 8 2019
Poly/Prints: Jan 2020
nitro17  
#425 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 9:24:09 PM(UTC)
nitro17

United States

I echo what IAdreamin said. Basically, just wait until after your poly at a minimum.
Annino  
#426 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2021 6:39:12 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)

Thanks!

I echo what some others have said. I would wait until at least your Poly is done, credit has been pulled and/or you have been scheduled for medical. From my experience, the pound-the-pavement investigative work doesn't happen until those boxes are checked. You have time.
thanks 1 user thanked Annino for this useful post.
nitro17 on 4/11/2021(UTC)
FBIHopeful23  
#427 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 4:21:15 AM(UTC)
FBIHopeful23

United States

I am pretty sure I passed the poly from what I was told after, what should I tell my employer? I mean, I prefer not saying hey, I applied for a job they are going to call you. What if the FBI doesn't work out or something happens? Any advice?
Annino  
#428 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 4:40:05 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FBIHopeful23 Go to Quoted Post
I am pretty sure I passed the poly from what I was told after, what should I tell my employer? I mean, I prefer not saying hey, I applied for a job they are going to call you. What if the FBI doesn't work out or something happens? Any advice?

Up to you on whether you want to wait for further verification that you passed the poly. I would be honest with your employer about why you want to join the FBI, but also manage expectations that it may not work out and it is a long process. I did this previously and there were no issues at all. I think most employers understand the "greater calling". It's not like you are joining a competitor.
thanks 1 user thanked Annino for this useful post.
FBIHopeful23 on 4/12/2021(UTC)
nitro17  
#429 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 5:01:54 AM(UTC)
nitro17

United States

Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post

Up to you on whether you want to wait for further verification that you passed the poly. I would be honest with your employer about why you want to join the FBI, but also manage expectations that it may not work out and it is a long process. I did this previously and there were no issues at all. I think most employers understand the "greater calling". It's not like you are joining a competitor.

Similar to the above - I'd stress that 1. it is a long process (it is not like you are leaving in 2 weeks... this will be more like 6-9 months from now), 2. You really enjoy what you are doing now and are focused on doing a great job where you are, 3. Should the FBI work out, you and your boss can sit down and discuss your decision at that point- basically say that you haven't decided and cant until you actually have an offer.

Then follow through on that by being a reliable employee.

But I'd wait to chat about this with your employer until you are sure you passed the poly.
FBIHopeful23  
#430 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 5:06:13 AM(UTC)
FBIHopeful23

United States

Originally Posted by: nitro17 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post

Similar to the above - I'd stress that 1. it is a long process (it is not like you are leaving in 2 weeks... this will be more like 6-9 months from now), 2. You really enjoy what you are doing now and are focused on doing a great job where you are, 3. Should the FBI work out, you and your boss can sit down and discuss your decision at that point- basically say that you haven't decided and cant until you actually have an offer.

Then follow through on that by being a reliable employee.

But I'd wait to chat about this with your employer until you are sure you passed the poly.

Agree, I will wait to make sure but I think saying its a 6-9 months out is best.

Thanks!
StormyWeather1  
#431 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 3:09:43 PM(UTC)
StormyWeather1

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does anyone know what happens if you have a class date but don't pass the pre-Q PFT?
Application: 5/20
Phase 1: 6/20
M&G: 8/20
PFT: 9/20
Phase 2: 10/20
Poly: 12/20
Medical: 1/21
Favorably Adj.: 3/21
BFTC: 6/21
Heyguys222  
#432 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 4:12:34 PM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: StormyWeather1 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know what happens if you have a class date but don't pass the pre-Q PFT?

Don’t you only need 5 points to pass the pre Q with 1 in each? I don’t know the exact process but if I didn’t feel I could get 5 on the PFT I’d call my AC and discuss pausing while I improved my fitness. Otherwise you run the risk of failing out of Q when they have you do the PFT.
Paxor07  
#433 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 5:00:38 PM(UTC)
Paxor07

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was told that I could retake it if I hadn't passed the preQ.
FutureGmen  
#434 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 5:24:23 PM(UTC)
FutureGmen

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Paxor07 Go to Quoted Post
I was told that I could retake it if I hadn't passed the preQ.

You have unlimited times to pass within one year
FBI21  
#435 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 6:13:36 PM(UTC)
FBI21

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

You will get bumped to another class and have chances to retake it. I strongly suggest getting a 12 before coming to Q. If you go to Q with a 5, it’s going to be very difficult to pass. The instructors are extremely strict
JimmyNorthwood  
#436 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:36:03 AM(UTC)
JimmyNorthwood

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Heyguys222 Go to Quoted Post

Don’t you only need 5 points to pass the pre Q with 1 in each? I don’t know the exact process but if I didn’t feel I could get 5 on the PFT I’d call my AC and discuss pausing while I improved my fitness. Otherwise you run the risk of failing out of Q when they have you do the PFT.

It's also really easy to screw up your form in the sit ups or the push ups, not know you're doing it wrong, and then fail that one event.
CPA2020  
#437 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 11:52:05 AM(UTC)
CPA2020

United States

I received a conditional offer but would like to pause at this time because I am unable to relocate. Do I reject the offer letter or is it better to withdraw my application? My understanding is I can apply at a later time and pick up at this same step as Phase II results do not expire.
JimmyNorthwood  
#438 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 11:52:32 AM(UTC)
JimmyNorthwood

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrickAgent Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JimmyNorthwood Go to Quoted Post

It's also really easy to screw up your form in the sit ups or the push ups, not know you're doing it wrong, and then fail that one event.

The instructor makes it abundantly clear if your form is off. For example, "1, 2, 3, 3, 3, "lock you elbows", 4, 5, 6, 6, 6 "lock your elbows..." There shouldn't be any surprises and you'll know if you're screwing up.

Then you had a very generous instructor. Our instructors did not count out loud and will only give you a correction ONCE. I repped 49 pushups and found out after everything was over that he only counted 31.
jmd4j  
#439 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 12:25:09 PM(UTC)
jmd4j

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The instructor makes it abundantly clear if your form is off. For example, "1, 2, 3, 3, 3, "lock you elbows", 4, 5, 6, 6, 6 "lock your elbows..." There shouldn't be any surprises and you'll know if you're screwing up.

Then you had a very generous instructor. Our instructors did not count out loud and will only give you a correction ONCE. I repped 49 pushups and found out after everything was over that he only counted 31.

Likewise. My direction was that anytime the instructor pointed out something (lower, lock-out, etc), those reps will not/wouldn’t count. I also did not know my final count of any event until the conclusion of all events and we were reviewing all of them. My count had 4 or 5 more reps than what the instructor had.
App-4/18
Ph1-5/18
MG-5/18
Ph II-7/18 (Fail)
App-8/19
Ph II (W)12/19
Ph II (I)-2/20
PFT-3/20
PSI-5/20
Poly/Med/BI-8/20
BrickAgent  
#440 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 12:41:04 PM(UTC)
BrickAgent

United States

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jmd4j Go to Quoted Post

The instructor makes it abundantly clear if your form is off. For example, "1, 2, 3, 3, 3, "lock your elbows", 4, 5, 6, 6, 6 "lock your elbows..." There shouldn't be any surprises and you'll know if you're screwing up.

Likewise. My direction was that anytime the instructor pointed out something (lower, lock-out, etc), those reps will not/wouldn’t count. I also did not know my final count of any event until the conclusion of all events and we were reviewing all of them. My count had 4 or 5 more reps than what the instructor had.

Yeah, not surprisingly it seems there is a lot of variation between instructors/offices. Just exercise, nail the form and you'll be fine :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed