Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

81 Pages«<3233343536>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr. Liquid  
#661 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:23:14 AM(UTC)
Mr. Liquid

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MavMan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mr. Liquid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: tamvid11 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike81b Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Just out of curiosity, does anybody happen to know when the first day someone is officially on FBI payroll is? Is it the first day they arrive at Quantico? I only ask because it seems like it would be a lot of fun for newly arrived trainees to be talking to OPM about setting up their TSP and health insurance while simultaneously adapting to the new training environment and having much less free time. Perhaps someone more advanced in the process can answer this one?

Great questions.. also at which point can we negotiate a step increase?

You will start at the beginning of a pay period. You will receive your first paycheck 4 weeks after starting on that friday. You do not need to negotiate step increases - they will be automatic. Year one is GL10 step 1, Year 2 is GS 10 step 2, Year 3 is GS 11 step 3, Year 4 is GS 12, Year 5 is GS 13... after that I think you get a step increase every 2-3 years and at some point I think it goes every 5. You will top out at GS 13 step 10 unless you apply for a supervisor position.

You get several admin days at the start to figure out your TSP and health insurance paperwork and have 30 days to submit. You can look on OPM now and figure out which insurances you would like and best fit your family. TSP is fairly easy too. They match the first 3% and match half to 5%. So put in at least 5% to start to maximize your matching benefit. All the paperwork can be found @ https://www.fbi.gov/about/new-employees if you want to get a head start and see exactly what you will be filling out.

So, one question I have is, are you paid for the first 4 weeks of training, and just don't receive your paycheck until week 4? Or is the first 4 weeks of the job just... unpaid?

No you are paid, you just are waiting until the next payroll...I've never been in a job where I didn't get paid after 3-4 weeks there.

I assumed that was the case but what do I know. How about health insurance? Does that kick in on the 1st of the following month (i.e. Sept 1 for the august class?)
MavMan  
#662 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:30:24 AM(UTC)
MavMan

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Just out of curiosity, does anybody happen to know when the first day someone is officially on FBI payroll is? Is it the first day they arrive at Quantico? I only ask because it seems like it would be a lot of fun for newly arrived trainees to be talking to OPM about setting up their TSP and health insurance while simultaneously adapting to the new training environment and having much less free time. Perhaps someone more advanced in the process can answer this one?

You will start at the beginning of a pay period. You will receive your first paycheck 4 weeks after starting on that friday. You do not need to negotiate step increases - they will be automatic. Year one is GL10 step 1, Year 2 is GS 10 step 2, Year 3 is GS 11 step 3, Year 4 is GS 12, Year 5 is GS 13... after that I think you get a step increase every 2-3 years and at some point I think it goes every 5. You will top out at GS 13 step 10 unless you apply for a supervisor position.

You get several admin days at the start to figure out your TSP and health insurance paperwork and have 30 days to submit. You can look on OPM now and figure out which insurances you would like and best fit your family. TSP is fairly easy too. They match the first 3% and match half to 5%. So put in at least 5% to start to maximize your matching benefit. All the paperwork can be found @ https://www.fbi.gov/about/new-employees if you want to get a head start and see exactly what you will be filling out.

So, one question I have is, are you paid for the first 4 weeks of training, and just don't receive your paycheck until week 4? Or is the first 4 weeks of the job just... unpaid?

No you are paid, you just are waiting until the next payroll...I've never been in a job where I didn't get paid after 3-4 weeks there.

I assumed that was the case but what do I know. How about health insurance? Does that kick in on the 1st of the following month (i.e. Sept 1 for the august class?)

Im not sure on the insurance part...maybe someone who's been through it will know!

MavMan  
#663 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:32:36 AM(UTC)
MavMan

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Has anyone spoken with their AC on the June class? Do we know if it's full, final offers sent or were we all just told tentatively?

No final offer for me and I just asked my AC a question last week so I don't want to bug her again so soon, but I plan on sending an email next friday if I havent heard anything....anyone else??
Annino  
#664 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:33:07 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 77 post(s)
For those of you that know (might not be a lot), if a NAT bids an office like NYC in the Academy and does time there, would they be able to transfer more easily at the end of probationary period? Basically, if I sacrifice myself for a hard to staff office can I almost call my shot after a few years?
AGJ  
#665 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:38:25 AM(UTC)
AGJ

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Has anyone spoken with their AC on the June class? Do we know if it's full, final offers sent or were we all just told tentatively?

No final offer for me and I just asked my AC a question last week so I don't want to bug her again so soon, but I plan on sending an email next friday if I havent heard anything....anyone else??

I was told just this week that they are expecting final offers for June sometime next week.
thanks 1 user thanked AGJ for this useful post.
MavMan on 4/30/2021(UTC)
userzero  
#666 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:43:10 AM(UTC)
userzero

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrickAgent Go to Quoted Post
Took my pre-Q yesterday. Good news and bad news. Bad news is I completely bombed the 1.5 mile and missed the cut by 15 seconds. Good news is I improved significantly on everything else and scored a total of 15. Plan to retake in the next week or two and am looking at the August class. Hey, at least the weather will be cooler than :) Meanwhile, hitting the longer runs in the meantime!

Thats ok Brick! They won't keep your name on the roster if you pass in 2 weeks? August isn't too far away! though!

Thanks Mav! Yeah, not feeling to bummed and honestly did better than I thought. I got 2 days notice on the pre-Q PFT (for June class) but figured I’d take it as a training opportunity. I told them that although I’d been training I may be rusty on the run. They said not to sweat it if I didn’t make the cut this time and I could retest again for August class (there are unlimited tries). Pretty sure June seats are filled up by now if you haven’t already taken the Pre-Q and gotten notice. Just taking this as an opportunity to train harder and do even better next time!

I appreciate your great attitude about this, Brick! Inspired by your resilience.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
thanks 1 user thanked userzero for this useful post.
BrickAgent on 4/30/2021(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee  
#667 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 5:48:24 AM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post
For those of you that know (might not be a lot), if a NAT bids an office like NYC in the Academy and does time there, would they be able to transfer more easily at the end of probationary period? Basically, if I sacrifice myself for a hard to staff office can I almost call my shot after a few years?

From a podcast episode of FBI Retired Case File Review (I think EP 60) you used to be able to get a guaranteed office of preference transfer if you went to San Juan for a couple years. No idea if it's the same now but that was at least a thing at some point in the past. So I guess hypothetically other hard to staff offices like NY could be the same. But then again it's so enormous they probably can't give 1,000 agents all office of preference guarantees.
thanks 2 users thanked 1995JeepCherokee for this useful post.
MavMan on 4/30/2021(UTC), Annino on 4/30/2021(UTC)
tamvid11  
#668 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 6:59:54 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 49 post(s)

You definitely are paid for the entire 4 weeks, your first paycheck will cover the first pay period (the first 2 weeks at the academy) and will continue forward from there.
thanks 1 user thanked tamvid11 for this useful post.
Mr. Liquid on 4/30/2021(UTC)
tamvid11  
#669 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:03:19 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Thanks. I was referring to someone like myself who is a GS-12 Step 2. Will I get a chance to negotiate after receiving the final offer?

Nope, it is on your COA and that is what you will accept. There are many who take a paycut for this, but remember you start on the GL scale and not GS, so that pay is a bit higher.

tamvid11  
#670 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:04:50 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

If I remember correctly it will take effect immediately after they get your paperwork... takes a week or 2 to process, but it's effective as soon as the paperwork goes in - so don't wait 30 days to submit it.
Mr. Liquid  
#671 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
Mr. Liquid

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Another random question if anyone knows: if you are placed in NYFO, can you commute on public transportation to work, or do you need to drive in and out everyday? Also, are there requirements about how close to the office you need to live? TIA!
tamvid11  
#672 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:09:48 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post

Might be hearsay, but I heard SAs get a “card” of sorts that they can play once in their career to go to an office of their choice. I think I may have read this somewhere. Most use that during the end of their career to retire where they and their families want to be. Again, take that with a grain of salt haha

Office of Preference or OP as it is referred to. You can use at anytime after the first 2 years, but again, they might not get you right to were you want to go, but they will get you close (request Indianapolis and get Cincinnati). This applies to anyone at any office once in their career. So if you don't want NYC, don't take it out the gate just so you get the opportunity to move later. This is an option for anyone. Your AC can tell you more about it.
This also isn't your only way to move out of an office... You can get promoted and be sent somewhere else, or other opportunities that peak your interest and go "needs" to another office.
tamvid11  
#673 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:11:45 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Another random question if anyone knows: if you are placed in NYFO, can you commute on public transportation to work, or do you need to drive in and out everyday? Also, are there requirements about how close to the office you need to live? TIA!

I believe for an office like this you can leave the POV at the office location and use public transportation - they do a subsidy and pay for the metro card so you're still not paying to get to work every day in lieu of gas. Don't quote me on that, but it was that way for other agencies.
Most agencies/locations will require you to be within 50 miles... for some locations LA/SF/NYC I believe the radius is expanded to a larger radius, but they will explain everything at the academy in the first few days - or ask your AC.

Edited by user Friday, April 30, 2021 7:13:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BrickAgent  
#674 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:17:11 AM(UTC)
BrickAgent

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I recently broke the news to my family that I was cleared for hire. My sister calls me the next day to tell me that she told my nephew — who is eight — the good news. My nephew asked excitedly, “HE’S GOING TO BE AN FBI AGENT?!” He thought it was the coolest thing in the world and it was all he could talk about for the rest of the day. I honestly didn’t even know he knew what the FBI even was. He also asked her if he could “help me train” and also if he could “be my sidekick” haha. If that isn’t enough motivation to push through Quantico I don’t know what is! :) Definitely going to get the little sidekick a badge from the gift shop after graduation...

On a slightly separate note, I came across this video that really pulls at the ol' heart strings. Sadly, Olivia passed away shortly after from brain cancer -- but not without putting up a fight and living her short life to the fullest. What an inspiration she is to all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPfueFL4ME

Edited by user Friday, April 30, 2021 7:47:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked BrickAgent for this useful post.
MavMan on 4/30/2021(UTC), AGJ on 4/30/2021(UTC), cmar on 4/30/2021(UTC)
jmd4j  
#675 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 8:34:24 AM(UTC)
jmd4j

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Thanks. I was referring to someone like myself who is a GS-12 Step 2. Will I get a chance to negotiate after receiving the final offer?

Nope, it is on your COA and that is what you will accept. There are many who take a paycut for this, but remember you start on the GL scale and not GS, so that pay is a bit higher.

That is not entirely true, unless my AC & I are mistaken. That's why they ask for your SF-50 for current federal employees. For a current federal employee, they will try to match you salary within the steps of GL-10...but it will not exceed GL-10 Step 10. Without looking at the pay table, I would guess a 12-2 would start at a 10-10. Tack on LEAP to that and you may not see much of a pay cut if any.

Looking at FY20 numbers, a GL-10-1 in DC locality was $67,747. A GL-10-10 was $87,416. That's not including LEAP.

So not exactly negotiable, but my AC said to pay special attention to make sure it's correct, as sometimes corrections are needed if they fail to use your SF50 when the offer is extended.

Edited by user Friday, April 30, 2021 8:52:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

App-4/18
Ph1-5/18
MG-5/18
Ph II-7/18 (Fail)
App-8/19
Ph II (W)12/19
Ph II (I)-2/20
PFT-3/20
PSI-5/20
Poly/Med/BI-8/20
BFTC-6/21
73GoColts  
#676 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 8:45:43 AM(UTC)
73GoColts

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Fellas, Checked my special agent portal today and it has a green checkmark saying I completed background. For those of you who have gone through this already, does that mean that now I am in adjudication? Just trying to figure out what to expect next. Thanks
AGJ  
#677 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 9:20:54 AM(UTC)
AGJ

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 73GoColts Go to Quoted Post
Fellas, Checked my special agent portal today and it has a green checkmark saying I completed background. For those of you who have gone through this already, does that mean that now I am in adjudication? Just trying to figure out what to expect next. Thanks

Ditto. Would also appreciate any insight from other peoples' experience with this.
tamvid11  
#678 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 10:06:45 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Originally Posted by: AGJ Go to Quoted Post

Ditto. Would also appreciate any insight from other peoples' experience with this.

How long have you been in BI?
73GoColts  
#679 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 10:16:27 AM(UTC)
73GoColts

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not terribly long. I had my PSI at the beginning of January. Medical and Poly in February, They started calling people about 6 weeks ago. For what it's worth, I am young, have lived in basically one place most of my life, no international travel in the past 10 years, one job since I graduated college 4 years ago, so it should be fairly straightforward I would think. Additionally, All three investigators that contacted me noted that they were given a "tight-turnaround". Not sure if that means anything or if it's just something they say to make sure I quickly reach out to everyone they plan to call. Last I heard from anyone on the background front was about 3 weeks ago
tamvid11  
#680 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 10:22:59 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Not terribly long. I had my PSI at the beginning of January. Medical and Poly in February, They started calling people about 6 weeks ago. For what it's worth, I am young, have lived in basically one place most of my life, no international travel in the past 10 years, one job since I graduated college 4 years ago, so it should be fairly straightforward I would think. Additionally, All three investigators that contacted me noted that they were given a "tight-turnaround". Not sure if that means anything or if it's just something they say to make sure I quickly reach out to everyone they plan to call. Last I heard from anyone on the background front was about 3 weeks ago

Thanks! I'm still waiting on medical to clear, but I too haven't had any foreign travel in over 10 years and have lived where I do for 10 years now and have had 2 jobs and some unemployment in that 10 years. I know last week they did neighbor interviews, checked one reference, and verified the unemployment. I guess I'm waiting for them to check my schooling, more references and the employment. No idea when that will happen, but the one investigator did already send his stuff up... and boy did he get antsy when a reference didn't call him right back. I'm hoping that means they were working quickly on me!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed