Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jayohbee  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 12:34:14 AM(UTC)
jayohbee

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

Hello,

I have a question regarding climbing or jumping grade levels once becoming a federal employee.

In my field, I qualify for GS-13 positions. In a field that is unrelated but the administrative skills are transferable, I qualify at GS-11 using education in combination with some experience.

Questions:
1) If I accept the GS-11 position (because the offer came first), can I still apply for GS-13 positions that are in my field?

1a) If yes, do I have to wait a year to do this or could I apply within 90 days if it’s “open to all citizens?”

2) For question 1a), when asked if I’m a federal employee on the assessment, do I select “No” since Im not applying for a status position?

Edited by user Sunday, May 2, 2021 1:10:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:31:31 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 985 time(s) in 830 post(s)
I cannot offer any definite answers but I have some anecdotal evidence that as soon as HR sees your current federal employment on your resume, they will define you as a current fed and apply all relevant restrictions. In your hypothetical, you'd be a GS-11 with less than one year time in grade, and no relevant GS experience, so that is how your application for a GS-13 in your current field would be treated once you accept a position as a GS-11 in some other field.

That's not to say you cant do it, but be prepared to be stuck in that GS-11 job a bit longer than you may otherwise expect.

As far as 1a) goes, I think the only time this will be a definite problem is if you are staying within the same agency.

Once again, I direct you to my signature block below... and hope that some other folks will add their knowledge here.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
jayohbee on 5/2/2021(UTC)
jayohbee  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:53:10 AM(UTC)
jayohbee

United States

Thank you “someoldguy”

I like your display name btw.

My concern isn’t the grade level as much it is position types my field (public health). So if I were to be at a GS-11 in my field, I would be fine with that - it’s the starting just somewhere to get a foot in the door and trying to navigate from a non-public health position. Some people say, just take because it’s easy to move around once you’re in.

Edited by user Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:55:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

djp  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2021 4:05:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Traytray Go to Quoted Post
Thank you “someoldguy”

My concern isn’t the grade level as much it is position types my field (public health). So if I were to be at a GS-11 in my field, I would be fine with that - it’s the starting just somewhere to get a foot in the door and trying to navigate from a non-public health position. Some people say, just take because it’s easy to move around once you’re in.

You will not be able to jump from 11to 13 Inside the federal govt.

To jump to a 13 you will need to apply as an outsider open to the public.

I dont know what experience is vs what fed career you are looking at.

Coming from outside 13 and 14 is an entry point.

Some jobs at 13 aren’t pure admin but applied in nature so you need experirnce in it thus need to shoot lower and work your way up.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
jayohbee on 5/3/2021(UTC)
jayohbee  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2021 4:21:54 PM(UTC)
jayohbee

United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Thank you “someoldguy”

You will not be able to jump from 11to 13 Inside the federal govt.

To jump to a 13 you will need to apply as an outsider open to the public.

I dont know what experience is vs what fed career you are looking at.

Coming from outside 13 and 14 is an entry point.

Some jobs at 13 aren’t pure admin but applied in nature so you need experirnce in it thus need to shoot lower and work your way up.

What if I don’t indicate that I’m a current employee at a different agency? The experience wouldn’t be entirely relevant.

When I applied for the GS-13 position I had completed both my masters and peace corps service last year. Me wanting to continue to work abroad, I took an opportunity to do just that while waiting for HR to do its thing.

This position post intermittently and was told by admin in that agency that the position hasn’t been filled and it should repost soon.

So if accept a GS-11 position at a different department, I can’t reapply for that GS-13 position?
FatHappyCat  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 10:17:14 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 120 post(s)

What if I don’t indicate that I’m a current employee at a different agency? The experience wouldn’t be entirely relevant.

This isn't possible. If you're applying for 13 that's open to the public then your grade doesn't matter. If you're applying for a 13 that's open to feds, they'll want to see your SF50 (to prove that you're a fed) which will say GS11.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed