Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
207 Pages«<192193194195196>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AZShadowStorm  
#3861 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:56:03 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Prep Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Vjurado Go to Quoted Post
Does HR continue to send preference sheets even when the next class has been filled? (For those of us still waiting)

Once the class is filled they won’t send sheets again until the next upcoming class.

I'm reaching here, but is there a way to know when they have filled the next class?

The best way to know is when the class actually starts. People can and have gotten the ok to go to the academy the last minute.
thanks 2 users thanked AZShadowStorm for this useful post.
Prep on 4/29/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 4/29/2021(UTC)
luckydevil  
#3862 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:57:27 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Does HR continue to send preference sheets even when the next class has been filled? (For those of us still waiting)

Once the class is filled they won’t send sheets again until the next upcoming class.

I'm reaching here, but is there a way to know when they have filled the next class?

Nope, not until the class date comes lol. They have called people with two weeks before but on occasion some have gotten called right up to the date. They will just tell you the class is always changing if you try to inquire if it’s full (I have tried with past classes lol).
thanks 3 users thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
Vjurado on 4/29/2021(UTC), Prep on 4/29/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 4/29/2021(UTC)
GearUp  
#3863 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:35:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 696 time(s) in 233 post(s)
People have gotten the call right up to the last minute. I know of some who have gotten the call on the Thursday or Friday before the start of the class date. Sometimes people, at the last minute, decide they don't want the job. They call HR and decline the job. HR reaches out to the next candidates on the list to see if they still want the job. HR tries to give everyone plenty of time to get their stuff together before the start of the class - usually a minimum of 2 weeks, but its not always the way things go.

If you do happen to get selected to attend a class, be helpful to those still waiting. Let them know what kinds of things they should have on hand should they get a last minute call. For those selected, HR will send you reporting instructions with a list of things candidates should and shouldn't bring. Share that info so folks can at least prepare a little in advance. You don't have to reveal everything on the instructions. Clothing items aren't "classified" information. Just pass on some of the things they should be prepared to take should they get a last minute call. For those waiting, please don't go out spend a fortune and buy a bunch of stuff or everything on the list. But if you need a particular type of belt and don't have one, buy an inexpensive one. If you don't own any ties buy a couple. Don't get caught flat footed where you need to run out at the last minute and break the bank buying a bunch of stuff. Just get a few things that you would need and could use in everyday life. You will need suits, button down shirts and ties. You'll need dress shoes. So if you don't have those items or if like me, out grew the suits or have ties from the last century, buy at least 2 or 3 new ones. You'll need them after the Academy for testifying in court anyway. But if your not sure about the upcoming class, maybe only buy one for now. If you get a last minute call you can always run out for a second one before you leave. At least you'll have one on hand to start with.

Also, for those on this forum who have recently attended and graduated from the Academy, please take a more active role in helping the applicants and candidates with information and advice. I'm not saying you should pass on anything sensitive, proprietary, or "classified". Just pass on some general knowledge and advice on the agency and what to expect during their time at the Academy.

Good luck to all. Hope to meet you in the field one day.
thanks 3 users thanked for this useful post.
luckydevil on 4/30/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 4/30/2021(UTC), DragonDuke on 4/30/2021(UTC)
Master Plan  
#3864 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:50:22 AM(UTC)
Master Plan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
GearUp, check your inbox!
AZShadowStorm  
#3865 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 9:24:15 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
People have gotten the call right up to the last minute. I know of some who have gotten the call on the Thursday or Friday before the start of the class date. Sometimes people, at the last minute, decide they don't want the job. They call HR and decline the job. HR reaches out to the next candidates on the list to see if they still want the job. HR tries to give everyone plenty of time to get their stuff together before the start of the class - usually a minimum of 2 weeks, but its not always the way things go.

If you do happen to get selected to attend a class, be helpful to those still waiting. Let them know what kinds of things they should have on hand should they get a last minute call. For those selected, HR will send you reporting instructions with a list of things candidates should and shouldn't bring. Share that info so folks can at least prepare a little in advance. You don't have to reveal everything on the instructions. Clothing items aren't "classified" information. Just pass on some of the things they should be prepared to take should they get a last minute call. For those waiting, please don't go out spend a fortune and buy a bunch of stuff or everything on the list. But if you need a particular type of belt and don't have one, buy an inexpensive one. If you don't own any ties buy a couple. Don't get caught flat footed where you need to run out at the last minute and break the bank buying a bunch of stuff. Just get a few things that you would need and could use in everyday life. You will need suits, button down shirts and ties. You'll need dress shoes. So if you don't have those items or if like me, out grew the suits or have ties from the last century, buy at least 2 or 3 new ones. You'll need them after the Academy for testifying in court anyway. But if your not sure about the upcoming class, maybe only buy one for now. If you get a last minute call you can always run out for a second one before you leave. At least you'll have one on hand to start with.

Also, for those on this forum who have recently attended and graduated from the Academy, please take a more active role in helping the applicants and candidates with information and advice. I'm not saying you should pass on anything sensitive, proprietary, or "classified". Just pass on some general knowledge and advice on the agency and what to expect during their time at the Academy.

Good luck to all. Hope to meet you in the field one day.

I agree! I graduated a while ago, but I’d be more than happy to provide some basic knowledge and tips to make the time at the academy a little more pleasant.
thanks 3 users thanked AZShadowStorm for this useful post.
SATXNez on 4/30/2021(UTC), DragonDuke on 4/30/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/1/2021(UTC)
Vjurado  
#3866 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2021 8:08:12 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)
As for suits/attire required: I've read where we are to bring 2-3 outfits with us to the academy. I've also read where the "uniforms" are provided at the academy. Can anyone clarify?
AZShadowStorm  
#3867 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 7:54:52 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

As for suits/attire required: I've read where we are to bring 2-3 outfits with us to the academy. I've also read where the "uniforms" are provided at the academy. Can anyone clarify?

You’ll want to bring 2-3 business attire outfits for the first week, graduation, and anything else that might pop up during the academy. You’ll also bring personal attire/casual clothes for weekends and after class. For the uniform you’ll most likely get a polo type shirt and khaki pants which will be provided to you.
thanks 4 users thanked AZShadowStorm for this useful post.
luckydevil on 5/2/2021(UTC), rcbustam on 5/2/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/2/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/3/2021(UTC)
Raven305  
#3868 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 4:21:55 PM(UTC)
Raven305

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Being from VA and here currently, I can attest to the hot summers lol
thanks 1 user thanked Raven305 for this useful post.
luckydevil on 5/2/2021(UTC)
Vjurado  
#3869 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 7:52:33 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Originally Posted by: CharlesW0513 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you all for the info. Being from South Louisiana, I know all about hot and humid summers! Lol
NewMo  
#3870 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 9:29:55 AM(UTC)
NewMo

Hey guys I’m a 2019 applicant! I received an email last week with my conditional offer. They said I’ll be getting finger printed in the next few days. Any idea of a timeline or what is to expect following this? Thank you!
AZShadowStorm  
#3871 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:08:20 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Originally Posted by: NewMo Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys I’m a 2019 applicant! I received an email last week with my conditional offer. They said I’ll be getting finger printed in the next few days. Any idea of a timeline or what is to expect following this? Thank you!

Timelines vary person to person but next steps usually involve medical, drug testing, SF-86, background investigation, preference sheets, SF-86 C, and Final offer if found suitable. I’m probably missing something but these are the most common things to expect.

Just remember this process takes forever and be patient with it.
rcbustam  
#3872 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:13:07 AM(UTC)
rcbustam

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)

People's experiences and timelines have been pretty different... for example, I'm a 2017 applicant and that all happened at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018.

The background check can take quite a but of time, so expect to hear from your friends/coworkers/neighbors that they've talked to the investigator. The physical shouldn't be an issue and that tends to get sent in immediately upon getting it reviewed/done. After those things, it's all just waiting for them to go through your file and submit it to committee for choosing people for the academy.

My best advice is to continue working and not worry about it.
Vjurado  
#3873 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:46:42 AM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

I agree with the others...
Keep living as if you hadn't applied.
I applied in 8/18. My BI is just now wrapping up.
Can't say movement throughout all steps is the same for everyone, but it does take a while.
Good luck!
CaitieMFT  
#3874 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 12:35:14 PM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stimpy729 Go to Quoted Post

You will get unisex khaki tactical pants and a blue shirt. They issued us 3 sets. VA is super hot and humid during the summer so I hope the July class gets short sleeves. Bring at least 2 suits, some business casual clothes, and casual clothes, in addition to whatever you would wear to workout in your spare time. Don’t stress over the brown boots... the footwear in my class has been everything from brown hiking boots, to brown oxfords, to brown tennis shoes, to brown combat boots.

I am happy to answer questions as best I can for the incoming group.

There are short-sleeved polos issued. We were a July class and it definitely got too hot for anything else!
I’m also available for questions. Good luck, y’all!
thanks 3 users thanked CaitieMFT for this useful post.
luckydevil on 5/4/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/4/2021(UTC), rcbustam on 5/4/2021(UTC)
1800seriesHopeful  
#3875 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 4:37:56 PM(UTC)
1800seriesHopeful

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone heard of anybody getting approved for the interim TS clearance? What was the 86c? How was it different? Just an updated list of your background, or more in depth?
Prep  
#3876 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:44:15 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1800seriesHopeful Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone heard of anybody getting approved for the interim TS clearance? What was the 86c? How was it different? Just an updated list of your background, or more in depth?

I've not heard of anyone getting approved for an interim clearance. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned here.

The 86C was just a 3 page form asking if any of the information on your E-Qip form needs to be updated or if anything has changed since you first completed it and then you indicate "yes" or "no" next to the question itself on the form.
Prep  
#3877 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:48:36 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Thank you all for the info. Being from South Louisiana, I know all about hot and humid summers! Lol

Co-signing on that!! LOL Alabama here! It's definitely in folks's DNA down our way. Doesn't mean it's not miserable feeling, but I think we're just used to it. I went to school with a guy who was from Illinois. When summer hit, he was literally crying! Bless his heart, he was like "Okay, I am officially living in Hades". LOL I remember telling him he'll get used to it if he sticks around a few years. I often wonder if he did. LOL
Vjurado  
#3878 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:50:39 AM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Co-signing on that!! LOL Alabama here! It's definitely in folks's DNA down our way. Doesn't mean it's not miserable feeling, but I think we're just used to it. I went to school with a guy who was from Illinois. When summer hit, he was literally crying! Bless his heart, he was like "Okay, I am officially living in Hades". LOL I remember telling him he'll get used to it if he sticks around a few years. I often wonder if he did. LOL

LOL!! Poor guy.
rcbustam  
#3879 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 3:34:25 PM(UTC)
rcbustam

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Woo! Got my SF86C today... kind of funny seeing as my latest background check was just completed before the last class began.
thanks 3 users thanked rcbustam for this useful post.
SATXNez on 5/11/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/11/2021(UTC), luckydevil on 5/11/2021(UTC)
Raven305  
#3880 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:51:17 AM(UTC)
Raven305

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
They are making calls. I just got my offer phone call.
thanks 2 users thanked Raven305 for this useful post.
Vjurado on 5/12/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed