Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kikimolnar  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:20:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am looking to find a webpage that reflects what each cell phone company is offering as a discount for Federal employees. Doe anyone out there have any information for me????
edalder  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:50:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
I first saw something about this one in the NAFEE magazine.

A month or two later, they published a retraction.

I think its "urban legend".
Kivi
superdave  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:03:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
there may be some truth to this legend, as USPS employees receive a discount from a few cell phone companies and other discounts from other major retailers and also some college courses. Perhaps each agency can try for discounts for it's employees, such as the USPS.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/deals/welcome.htm
blondie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:20:36 PM(UTC)

Verizon offers fed employees discounts on personal plans if their agency has their government plan with them. It is roughly 15-20% off the monthly rate. I believe, though, each government rep for each company has leeway to make such an offer. It may even be a local arrangement.
indysix  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:59:28 PM(UTC)

contact your cell phone company, Both Cingular and Verizon give it. I had to specifically ask for it then fill out a couple of papers to get it.
kikimolnar  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:05:16 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the feed back. I should have been more specific. I have T-Mobile. The discount is easy to find for all other carriers but T-Mobile doesn't know anything about it or how to access the discount it. My husband works for DHS (TSA).
Does anyone have info on T-Mobile?
livewire  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:08:22 AM(UTC)

This is what I received from another co worker.

Subject: FW: Discount on cell phone bill

I'm not sure if most of you know the below info, so I'm getting the word out because it is real. All federal employees are entitled to a discount on their cell phone service according the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996. I called Sprint and it took 12 minutes for the transaction. This discount is not advertised or offered at the time of activation. You will have to ask for it by name and they will implement it on the spot. You all have earned it. All you need is a Supervisor to verify employment.

Cingular 1-800-319-6393 19%

T-Mobile 1-866-646-4688 22% #you will need to request a migration form from this e-mail: HYPERLINK (federalmigrations@t-mobile.com)

Sprint PCS 1-888-788-4727 15%

Nextel 1-800-639-6111 18%

Verizon *611 from a cell phone or
1-800-865-1825 23%
Serenity81  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:58:18 PM(UTC)
Serenity81

Woman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
About a year ago, our installation signed on with US Cellular. I have had US Cellular for years. Is it too late for a discount? As a matter of fact, I told the contractor/salesman that the contracting office sent to me (for our organization), that I had US Cellular. Hmmmmm...... I wonder if I should call US Cellular, and say, "hey, our installation signed on with you....how about a discount for me?" couldn't hurt.

Oh, and another tid bit. The hotel industry seems to be waning on it's discounts. It now asks for "active" military ID, or Gov employee traveling on "business" only. I had to break the DTS news to them. Only if DTS "picks" your hotel when you travel on "business"....the discount is built in to the system. After that little speech, I got the discount. The desk clerk was clueless. Happy trails.
ducky  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:47:37 PM(UTC)

I just got off the phone with US Cellular, the discount is at their discretion. US Cellular choses not to participate. Unfortunately, I signed a new contract in December, after eight years I felt that they would provide the most coverage.
cseely  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:04:15 AM(UTC)

It is true that you have to specifically ask for the discount. I asked Cingular and instead of the 19% quoted in the post above, I get a 7% discount.
toby2739  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:13:14 AM(UTC)

I have a 10% discount from Cingular. I had existing service, but my local gov rep put the discount through for me. Every little bit helps. There's a web site for cingular, use the gov't employee part.I've been getting my discount for over 2yrs.
blondie  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:37:01 PM(UTC)

T-mobile does offer a discount, but there is a catch. It has to be a discount off of a plan they currently offer. If you are on an older plan, one that is no longer offerred, you have to switch to a new plan with a new contract period, in order to get discount. In most cases, it does not afford a decent enough reduction to justify changing plans. Also, they are not real good about telling you about the discount. I made four phone calls, was directed to non-existent websites and phone number, told to fax them info to a non-existent fax number, and it was extremely difficult to even get the facts. They aren't going out of their way, and to me, it was no deal.
daystar  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2006 11:26:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have T-Mobile too and I tried getting this migration thing done a few months ago. I sent my form in the first time and they told me I had to get a currently offered plan. So, I signed up for the new $50.00 Nationwide 1500 minute plan. I submitted the form again and I never heard an answer.

One of my friends has Sprint and they gave her 4 free phones and a 15-20% discount on her family plan.
Lancer212  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2006 11:32:41 AM(UTC)

The following link is for the webpage that has a copy of the memo and the phone numbers of the cell phone carrioers.

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=9643

quote:
Originally posted by pdxgirl:
I am looking to find a webpage that reflects what each cell phone company is offering as a discount for Federal employees. Doe anyone out there have any information for me????
okie  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:17:52 AM(UTC)

I dunno. I read the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 and saw nothing in there about discounts for federal employees. I guess I could have missed it. Can someone direct me to the specific portion of the act?
jwalkr55  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:58:34 PM(UTC)

I just heard about it two weeks ago. have been a customer for 4 years. got 12% off. every little bit counts.
samblittman  
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:40:45 AM(UTC)

Below is a reply I received from an attorney that represents cell-phone companies. This explains the Discount controversy.

MEMORANDUM
TO: Bennet & Bennet Clients
DATE: August 30, 2005
rumor and hearsay floating around out there that is somewhat lacking in the accuracy
department. The latest bit of misinformation that seems to be making the rounds is the
contention that there is some sort of federal government mandate that cellular service be
provided to federal employees at a discount. In recent weeks, a number of cellular carriers
represented by Bennet & Bennet have been approached by customers demanding discounts of up
to 20% based on the belief that the Telecommunications Act of 1996 or some other federal
legislation or Federal Communications Rule requires the offering of such a discount. There is
nothing in the 1996 Act, the FCC’s rules or its orders that mandates such a discount.
It may help in dealing with angry and/or disappointed customers to be able to explain the
likely basis for their confusion. Customers may be getting their misinformation from a variety of
sources. The June issue of the NARFE (National Active and Retired Federal Employees
Association) magazine apparently contained a letter claiming that the Telecommunications Act
of 1996 provides for federal employees (active and retired) to receive a ten percent discount on
their monthly cellphone bill. Customers who have seen this information reprinted likely did not
see the retraction published in the subsequent issue of the NARFE magazine, which noted that
“The Telecommunications Act of 1996 does not provide for a cellular phone service discount for
current and retired federal employees.”
Some customers have cited to the “Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 Discount to
Federal Employees Past and Present” in demanding a 20% discount. There is no such act or
portion of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. This odd terminology has been used in some
newsgroup postings to refer to discounts that many of the larger carriers (e.g., Verizon) have
been voluntarily offering to active duty members of the military. Indeed, the larger wireless
carriers have numerous voluntary programs to give federal employees discounts, but once again,
there is no federal requirement that they do so.
Hopefully, armed with this information, your customer service representatives can deal
effectively with any customers who may claim entitlement to such a discount. If you have any
questions regarding this issue, please contact Michael Bennet at mbennet@bennetlaw.com.

Law Offices of
Bennet & Bennet, PLLC
10 G Street, NE, Seventh Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Tel: (202) 371-1500
Fax: (202) 371-1558
e-mail: mail@bennetlaw.com
www.bennetlaw.com
Hearst86  
#18 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 1:37:53 AM(UTC)

There is no law that REQUIRES a cell phone company to offer Federal employees a discount. That one is definitely urban legend.

A business, including a cell phone company, may offer an "affinity" discount to Federal employees/retirees, if it CHOOSES to do so.
oui-deliver  
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2006 6:10:04 AM(UTC)

Use your USPS employee ID and Postal Ease Pin Number to log onto the website liteblue.usps.gov. At the bottom of the home page is a small box labeled "POSTAL DEALS." This will link you to a webpage on Liteblue that will show you all disounts available to USPS empolyees for everything from cellphones to tires. Cingular, Sprint, Verizon are three companies that offer up to a 20% discount on service and equipment. I know there are other cell phone companies listed on the USPS site also that offer discounts. You can click on individual company names on the Liteblue website to see what each individual company offers. Hope this is helpful. Smile
mrivtru  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:01:33 AM(UTC)

Cingular verified the discount. All I had to do was show my government ID badge. But, the technician couldn't find the code for the CDC. Does anyone have it? I guess each government branch has a different code and discount percentage.

Thanks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed