Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

99 Pages«<3839404142>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GovGuy25  
#781 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 1:03:07 PM(UTC)
GovGuy25

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AverageNYCGUY Go to Quoted Post
Just want to say good luck to everybody in the class of 2021!

I will be signing on and applying in 2022 once I get my affairs in order. Really exciting times.

1. For those of you who are married and have children, what did you end up doing in terms of your children and spouse when you were away? Would you say it's difficult or manageable? Did it affect you in any way?

My wife is on board with it. Of course she worries for my safety but she knows that if I don't do it, I'll end up regretting it when I'm older.

2. For those of you in the field that are more experienced and graduated, did the job affect how your kids are/were raised?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

I had a four year old and an infant when I reported. It was tough. My wife worked nights and was about 1500 miles away. It took a lot but my wife is strong and we made it. She came to VA on two occasions and I flew home twice.

I have been in for over ten years. The job hasn't changed how my kids were raised. It's a great job. Depending on your squad you may miss some events, weekends, or birthdays. But not many. Most supervisors know what it's like and make sure you have a healthy work life balance. Of course you will have a weapon in the house if you don't already. Good luck, it's a great job.

Thanks for this. I don't have children yet, and I was a bit worried the recruiters were underselling the demands of the position.

Do the demands vary significantly based on the violation you're working?
Mission0  
#782 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 2:51:55 PM(UTC)
Mission0

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JimmyNorthwood Go to Quoted Post
Wanted to ask this again bc it got lost in all the WiFi talk:

Had my poly the other day and definitely left feeling pretty crappy. For those that took theirs already-

Did any of you leave being told it went well?

How many of you left feeling like you failed or even being told you failed? Feel free to PM too if you want. Thanks!

After my poly they told me I passed right then and there. They sent me to another room to get my fingerprints and drug test done. Hopefully you hear something soon!
thanks 1 user thanked Mission0 for this useful post.
JimmyNorthwood on 5/11/2021(UTC)
userzero  
#783 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:25:35 AM(UTC)
userzero

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTFTP Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: OTFTP Go to Quoted Post
How long after your poly did someone reach out to you about scheduling your medical? I’m assuming I failed (even though I was 100% honest) based on what was said to me after the exam.

Good luck to everyone in this process. It’s a bear!

Been a couple weeks and still waiting to hear. Anyone know how quick the failed polygraph letters usually go out? Do they still send out the failed letters via snail mail?

I’ve heard people say no news is good news but seems like if you pass, you would hear about scheduling medical.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to the posters on this thread. Information has been very helpful and it’s been a great time killer during this long process.

Hey OTFTP,

Great question and glad the forum has been helpful! I heard nothing about passing or failing for at least two weeks. Then, one day seemingly out-of-the-blue, I got a call to schedule medical with no formal "you passed the polygraph" communication. Like others may have already said, I think you would know pretty soon after if you failed and that no comms means they are working on getting your med scheduled. Have you followed up with your AC? Perhaps they'll have real info they can give you.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
thanks 1 user thanked userzero for this useful post.
OTFTP on 5/11/2021(UTC)
userzero  
#784 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:30:13 AM(UTC)
userzero

Good morning all,

For those who have gone through/are about to go thru Q during the covid era, during the two week quarantine in the Jefferson dorm, was there a microwave? Was there a television? Trying to figure out logistics before shipping in June.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
Annino  
#785 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 6:07:05 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mission0 Go to Quoted Post

Had my poly the other day and definitely left feeling pretty crappy. For those that took theirs already-

How many of you left feeling like you failed or even being told you failed? Feel free to PM too if you want. Thanks!

After my poly they told me I passed right then and there. They sent me to another room to get my fingerprints and drug test done. Hopefully you hear something soon!

Similar happened to me but with the caveat that HQ quality control would need to approve. Fingerprints and drug test done right after. Medical exam schedule email came the next day.
thanks 1 user thanked Annino for this useful post.
JimmyNorthwood on 5/11/2021(UTC)
tamvid11  
#786 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:30:09 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mission0 Go to Quoted Post

I never feel good after a poly... but if they didn't say you failed on the spot, you're usually good. I've taken several for different agencies over the years and FBI by far felt the worst. It was short and sweet, but the investigator was CONTSTANTLY challenging me on my answers, and would almost give me a snarky response after I answered truthfully and with confidence.

That said. It was rough. I've never heard the "you passed" from any investigator, just that they would send it up to HQ for review. This is done regardless of what you're told in the room. I've been told it would be inconclusive after, and it was. But never pass - the wait to hear is excruciating.

I'd say if it's been around 2 weeks, your AC would know the outcome. I wouldn't think they would wait this long to say inconclusive, and no news is good news for these types of things. GOOD LUCK!
GovGuy25  
#787 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:31:03 AM(UTC)
GovGuy25

United States

Update for everyone, I will not be attending the June class. No process delays or anything, just need to dot my i's and cross my t's before I can take off.

Also, for those that are still training for the pft, my previous advice still stands. I improved in nearly every event from my previous pft. And remember to drink lots of water, depending on where you are the heat can really sneak up on you, even if you usually train in it.
tamvid11  
#788 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:35:39 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Originally Posted by: userzero Go to Quoted Post
Good morning all,

For those who have gone through/are about to go thru Q during the covid era, during the two week quarantine in the Jefferson dorm, was there a microwave? Was there a television? Trying to figure out logistics before shipping in June.

Hopefully once you get there you can shed some light on a few things for all of us to follow! I've been curious on how laundry will get done during those 2 weeks? Access to the laundry room, or do we just wash everything in the shower in our rooms and hang to dry? 2 weeks of dirty closes in a closed of space is not going to be good... Will mail be delivered like the food? Also, please let us know if there are or we are allowed to have a coffee pot in the room... I have a spare Keurig I'm hoping to take!

Edited by user Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:50:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JuanitaValjean  
#789 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:38:05 AM(UTC)
JuanitaValjean

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GovGuy25 Go to Quoted Post
Update for everyone, I will not be attending the June class. No process delays or anything, just need to dot my i's and cross my t's before I can take off.

Also, for those that are still training for the pft, my previous advice still stands. I improved in nearly every event from my previous pft. And remember to drink lots of water, depending on where you are the heat can really sneak up on you, even if you usually train in it.

Graduated from the intern program a few years ago. Looking to apply sometime by January and wanting to get a head start on PFT. I've lost about 70 pounds from when I started my weight loss journey, but still have trouble with the running sections of the PFT. I tend to stick to around 10 minute miles when I jog long distances.

From what I have read on here, it looks like you don't have to take the PFT until Quantico. Is that right? Is there a written policy of this? It has me a bit confused/

Edited by user Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:41:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Heyguys222  
#790 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:18:26 PM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JuanitaValjean Go to Quoted Post

Graduated from the intern program a few years ago. Looking to apply sometime by January and wanting to get a head start on PFT. I've lost about 70 pounds from when I started my weight loss journey, but still have trouble with the running sections of the PFT. I tend to stick to around 10 minute miles when I jog long distances.

From what I have read on here, it looks like you don't have to take the PFT until Quantico. Is that right? Is there a written policy of this? It has me a bit confused/

As of now you take a Pre-Q PFT before you go to Q. You need to score a 5 total with at least 1 point in each category, though personally I wouldn’t feel good getting less than a 9 or 10 on my way to Q since you have to take another at week 2 and will need a 12 at least.

I would strongly suggest practicing sprinting before your long run and doing events with only a 5 minute break. That’s what sucks. I would say the sit ups and push ups aren’t that bad but sprinting then having to do 1.5 miles will kill your stamina if you haven’t practiced it a lot.
GovGuy25  
#791 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 2:04:49 PM(UTC)
GovGuy25

United States

Originally Posted by: Heyguys222 Go to Quoted Post

As of now you take a Pre-Q PFT before you go to Q. You need to score a 5 total with at least 1 point in each category, though personally I wouldn’t feel good getting less than a 9 or 10 on my way to Q since you have to take another at week 2 and will need a 12 at least.

I would strongly suggest practicing sprinting before your long run and doing events with only a 5 minute break. That’s what sucks. I would say the sit ups and push ups aren’t that bad but sprinting then having to do 1.5 miles will kill your stamina if you haven’t practiced it a lot.

Adding onto this, I very strongly suggest modeling your fitness regime off the pft. I supplement mine with weight training, but the core is the pft.

Things that will absolutely trip you up if you don't prepare for them:

1) The weather. If you train indoors the heat or cold can catch you off guard.

2) Treadmill running is different than pavement or track running. I found myself having a very different running motion on the treadmill, one that had my body moving up and down as opposed to forward. Run outside when available.

3) The breaks. Read the pft material they put out very carefully. Everything is very precise, from the form to the breaks between each exercise. If you don't train with the short breaks in mind, you might find yourself unable to recover between events.

4)The form. I have had more than 10 pushups removed from my score due to bad form. It takes energy to do the exercise, even if it's incorrect, so make sure you do it correctly every time.
thanks 1 user thanked GovGuy25 for this useful post.
Annino on 5/12/2021(UTC)
tamvid11  
#792 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:47:58 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Adding onto this, I very strongly suggest modeling your fitness regime off the pft. I supplement mine with weight training, but the core is the pft.

2) Treadmill running is different than pavement or track running. I found myself having a very different running motion on the treadmill, one that had my body moving up and down as opposed to forward. Run outside when available.

3) The breaks. Read the pft material they put out very carefully. Everything is very precise, from the form to the breaks between each exercise. If you don't train with the short breaks in mind, you might find yourself unable to recover between events.

4)The form. I have had more than 10 pushups removed from my score due to bad form. It takes energy to do the exercise, even if it's incorrect, so make sure you do it correctly every time.

I think the run catches everyone off guard and there are a few factors about this. Most of the time we train for running, we do it rested. How often do you finish an exhausting workout and then say, "hey I feel like a nice 1.5 mile run"?

I find it better on some days to run tired. Do my entire lift routine and THEN do a run. Also, when you train to run (especially on a treadmill) put it on a slight incline - this does make up for the outdoor push-off you are normally missing. I've been told 1% is all you need, but you shouldn't do more than 2% or it does make you lean too far forward and changes your stride. I find this helps with the sprint as well as the run. Also, only do dynamic stretching prior. Static stretching will hurt your run times, especially your sprint times. You don't want the muscles too loose and stretched - you do take away from the fast twitch muscles when you do that.

Other things that can help are to do burst intervals on longer runs. Run for a minute and then sprint for 15 seconds.
Never just run the 1.5 miles when you train either... run further (at least 2) so the 1.5 doesn't seem as daunting on test day. I run 4-6 miles at an 8mph pace - these runs I always do rested.
Train faster too than your normal run. Do whatever you can do for as long as you can do. I started on the treadmill at 8.5mph and would run for 1 mile (just under 11min if I translated to 1.5). I started to increase my runs at this speed by .1 every few days. Then I would increase the speed and go back to the 1 mile. I'm currently at a 9.6mph for 1.3m

You will see plenty of people with passing scores up until the run - you have to get a least 1pt in this category or it is a fail. 5pts or 20pts prior to the run won't matter.

Totally right on the push-up form too. Make sure you're doing it the way described by the FBI. I was used to military style triceps push-ups and they took off several.

Situps don't waste effort on the down motion - meaning do an uncontrolled fall on your way down. It hurts. But make sure you train this way a few times so your body is familiar with the feeling. Most time we will do a flexed up and down so you're protecting yourself. Get one of those padded mats and just let your body fall and slam down, flex and control up. We waste a lot of energy staying flexed and controlling down. Training this way has added about 5 additional sit-ups to my personal best.
thanks 2 users thanked tamvid11 for this useful post.
AverageNYCGUY on 5/12/2021(UTC), Annino on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Heyguys222  
#793 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:31:57 AM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tamvid11 Go to Quoted Post

I think the run catches everyone off guard and there are a few factors about this. Most of the time we train for running, we do it rested. How often do you finish an exhausting workout and then say, "hey I feel like a nice 1.5 mile run"?

I find it better on some days to run tired. Do my entire lift routine and THEN do a run. Also, when you train to run (especially on a treadmill) put it on a slight incline - this does make up for the outdoor push-off you are normally missing. I've been told 1% is all you need, but you shouldn't do more than 2% or it does make you lean too far forward and changes your stride. I find this helps with the sprint as well as the run. Also, only do dynamic stretching prior. Static stretching will hurt your run times, especially your sprint times. You don't want the muscles too loose and stretched - you do take away from the fast twitch muscles when you do that.

Other things that can help are to do burst intervals on longer runs. Run for a minute and then sprint for 15 seconds.
Never just run the 1.5 miles when you train either... run further (at least 2) so the 1.5 doesn't seem as daunting on test day. I run 4-6 miles at an 8mph pace - these runs I always do rested.
Train faster too than your normal run. Do whatever you can do for as long as you can do. I started on the treadmill at 8.5mph and would run for 1 mile (just under 11min if I translated to 1.5). I started to increase my runs at this speed by .1 every few days. Then I would increase the speed and go back to the 1 mile. I'm currently at a 9.6mph for 1.3m

You will see plenty of people with passing scores up until the run - you have to get a least 1pt in this category or it is a fail. 5pts or 20pts prior to the run won't matter.

Totally right on the push-up form too. Make sure you're doing it the way described by the FBI. I was used to military style triceps push-ups and they took off several.

Situps don't waste effort on the down motion - meaning do an uncontrolled fall on your way down. It hurts. But make sure you train this way a few times so your body is familiar with the feeling. Most time we will do a flexed up and down so you're protecting yourself. Get one of those padded mats and just let your body fall and slam down, flex and control up. We waste a lot of energy staying flexed and controlling down. Training this way has added about 5 additional sit-ups to my personal best.

All great info especially on the sit-ups. I’ll add for push-ups do the same falling motion on the way down. Let your body drop and catch yourself at the bottom then burst up. It will save you some energy and add a couple push-ups. It’s scary at first as you’re convinced you’re going to smash into the ground but once you get used to it you’ll be thankful.
thanks 1 user thanked Heyguys222 for this useful post.
AverageNYCGUY on 5/12/2021(UTC)
AverageNYCGUY  
#794 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:56:25 AM(UTC)
AverageNYCGUY

United States

Awesome tips. Thank you as well as the push up tip above. Great stuff!

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:57:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TwoSevenThreeOne  
#795 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:43:41 AM(UTC)
TwoSevenThreeOne

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

How does that work, did you just ask to defer?
userzero  
#796 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48:11 AM(UTC)
userzero

Originally Posted by: userzero Go to Quoted Post
Good morning all,

Hopefully once you get there you can shed some light on a few things for all of us to follow! I've been curious on how laundry will get done during those 2 weeks? Access to the laundry room, or do we just wash everything in the shower in our rooms and hang to dry? 2 weeks of dirty closes in a closed of space is not going to be good... Will mail be delivered like the food? Also, please let us know if there are or we are allowed to have a coffee pot in the room... I have a spare Keurig I'm hoping to take!

Certainly, tamvid11! I'll do my best. Still trying to figure out some low-level logistics during the packing/paperwork phase.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
userzero  
#797 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:50:20 AM(UTC)
userzero

Originally Posted by: AGJ Go to Quoted Post
Any final offers come in for people entering the June class yet? I am on the list for August and trying to get a read on what to expect timing-wise.

Good morning, AGJ. My final offer came about five days after notification that I would be receiving the final job offer. My last name starts with a letter in the middle of the alphabet so, if they're going alphabetically, perhaps that could explain a longer wait for some rather than others? Pure conjecture, though.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
TwoSevenThreeOne  
#798 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:52:33 AM(UTC)
TwoSevenThreeOne

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Any final offers come in for people entering the June class yet? I am on the list for August and trying to get a read on what to expect timing-wise.

I was given a heads up yesterday that June class is all filled up. I was wondering the same thing for Aug. How early can you get official word for a class? Or does everyone find out in that 2-4 week period prior to the class?
AGJ  
#799 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 7:39:41 AM(UTC)
AGJ

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TwoSevenThreeOne Go to Quoted Post

I was given a heads up yesterday that June class is all filled up. I was wondering the same thing for Aug. How early can you get official word for a class? Or does everyone find out in that 2-4 week period prior to the class?

I was told final offers come out around 4 weeks prior to the class start date. I think sometime before that you'd be told by your AC that they are putting you on the list for that class. That's been my experience at least.
thanks 1 user thanked AGJ for this useful post.
TwoSevenThreeOne on 5/12/2021(UTC)
GovGuy25  
#800 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:15:47 AM(UTC)
GovGuy25

United States

Originally Posted by: TwoSevenThreeOne Go to Quoted Post

How does that work, did you just ask to defer?

I was asked what date I would like to go, and whether I would like to push for June.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a civilian position. They give you options, but it's up to you whether you want to take them. Even if you sign up, get to q, and don't like the smell of your bed, you can just quit.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:19:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GovGuy25 for this useful post.
TwoSevenThreeOne on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed