Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

14 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
M1keBones  
#161 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:22:27 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I'm not too concerned with the low morale and it's because my family and I have no illusions over what this career entails. The agency's primary mission is protection. Your schedule is dependent on the schedule of the protectees. There is a lot of travel, a lot of shift work at odd hours, a lot of standing around watching a door or a dumpster or something. You could be standing out for hours in the freezing cold, searing heat, rain, snow etc. As long as you don't go into it with rose-tinted glasses and your family is on board, I think it will be ok. I'm guessing, like the military, it will be a ton of sucky times interspersed with great times. Look at the silver lining as well: You'll travel the world on the government dime, be witness to historical events, and after a few years, if it's not for you anymore, you have an excellent line on your resume and can pretty much write your ticket with where you wanna work.
Washgirl0905  
#162 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:29:37 AM(UTC)
Washgirl0905

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Allsourceguy Go to Quoted Post
Still waiting to hear anything after the SUPER interview. its been 3 weeks and I'm getting nervous lol.

I feel that. I passed the SAEE a little less than a week ago and I'm already super (no pun intended) anxious. I can't image how I'd feel at the 3 week mark! Does anyone know how long is an average amount of time to wait to hear about the SUPER? I have tried calling the contact number on the USSS job announcement for an app status update, but it just keeps ringing with no answer (I stayed on for more than 20 minutes and still nothing). Any insight on how long it usually takes would be really helpful.

I passed the SAEE on 4/22/21 and have yet to receive an invite as well. I reached out to my local FO and a rep informed me my name was on the list its just been so many applicants the agent has been trying to schedule but, just to be patient I would be hearing something soon.
Allsourceguy  
#163 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:52:12 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yeah just be prepared to embrace the suck, and it will be met with great times as well like Mike said you get to travel the world and get paid decent money(after a year or so at least). You pile up leave when your on the trips as well so like the agents also told me on your down time you just take a few days when ever you get a change.

that's a good question as far as the investigation piece. I'm sure it is pushed to the side to when you return or passed off to a coworker. I personally am more excited to do the investigation side of it, but I like the fact that the Service has a dual mission so its not the same thing day in day out. I think if you had separate missions then it would cause for a very unbalanced work force.

Btw I get bored at my job on down time, so I'm always on here commenting and reading lol.

Edited by user Friday, May 14, 2021 6:53:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rocket  
#164 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 6:20:57 PM(UTC)
Rocket

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well this is it, SUPER interview is this Monday. I’m feeling prepared and I’ve gone over so many potential interview questions .

How likely is it to get the polygraph right after the interview? Someone told me to be mentally prepared for a polygraph on the same day. Im curious if anyone else had this?
USSS
App 3/22/2021
SAEE (pass) 4/28/2021
SUPER 5/17/2021
M1keBones  
#165 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 8:58:25 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Good luck, Rocket! I’m not sure about the polygraph, but based on what others have had as their timeline it doesn’t sound like that is the norm to have it the same day. Though I guess anything is possible.

Does anyone know if you are able to pause your app after passing the SUPER (or rather, can you delay sending in paperwork, etc) or must you turn everything in within a certain timeframe or they DQ you? I only ask because the USSS process is moving way faster than the FBI process, and I just want to know what my options are, rather than committing to one and basically having to cancel the interview for the other. I’m especially concerned because I don’t want to commit to one, have an inconclusive polygraph or something like that, and end up with no job at all.

You can absolutely pause your application and pick it up down the line. If I remember correctly, they actually tell you that you can do this during the SUPER and it would have no negative impact on your application.

Rocket  
#166 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 1:05:57 PM(UTC)
Rocket

United States

SUPER went well today . I felt really confident walking out of the office . There was one question I felt I could’ve answered better, but overall I’m feeling good.

I’m guessing the next step is the security interview. I did sign the paper saying I’m looking to go forward to the next step in the process, but I don’t think this is a guarantee .

About how long did it take for any of you to hear back after the SUPER regarding continuing the process?
USSS
App 3/22/2021
SAEE (pass) 4/28/2021
SUPER 5/17/2021
M1keBones  
#167 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 1:26:24 PM(UTC)
M1keBones

Originally Posted by: Rocket Go to Quoted Post
SUPER went well today . I felt really confident walking out of the office . There was one question I felt I could’ve answered better, but overall I’m feeling good.

I’m guessing the next step is the security interview. I did sign the paper saying I’m looking to go forward to the next step in the process, but I don’t think this is a guarantee .

About how long did it take for any of you to hear back after the SUPER regarding continuing the process?

Timelines vary. I applied to both Uniformed Division and Special Agent. For my UD SUPER, it took 2 days to get a conditional offer. For my SA SUPER, it took a week for a conditional offer. Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer a timeline for their application as well.
Rocket  
#168 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 1:47:47 PM(UTC)
Rocket

United States

Since my SUPER will likely be upcoming soon, what exactly do you mean when you say you sign a paper saying you want to go to the next stage (this is the first time I've heard that this was part of the procedure)? Does it obligate you to anything, or is it just informational for them to know that you want to continue on in the hiring process (also, is that an indication that you passed?)?

I think it’s just informational, but I was also wondering the same thing if it meant that I passed.

judging by others’ experience, it sounds like there’s a separate conditional offer.

Good luck with your super !

Edited by user Monday, May 17, 2021 1:49:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

USSS
App 3/22/2021
SAEE (pass) 4/28/2021
SUPER 5/17/2021
thanks 1 user thanked Rocket for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/17/2021(UTC)
Allsourceguy  
#169 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 4:37:20 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

its been almost 4 weeks since I did the SUPER and still no response :/ . I signed the paper as well. I think its just to show your still interested and not wasting their time.

Hope the long wait doesn't mean I failed. Anyone know if you can retake the SUPER if so?

timeline
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER

Edited by user Tuesday, May 18, 2021 4:49:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wareagle5  
#170 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 4:42:02 AM(UTC)
Wareagle5

United States

its been almost 4 weeks since I did the SUPER and still no response :/ . I signed the paper as well. I think its just to show your still interested and not wasting their time.

Hope the long wait doesn't mean I failed. Anyone know if you can retake the SUPER if so?

I am in the same boat as well. I felt very confident after the SUPER, but this extended wait time has me all worried. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Washgirl0905  
#171 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 5:21:04 AM(UTC)
Washgirl0905

United States

Congrats... I finally got an email yesterday in reference to mine. I'm scheduled for 5/24. I'm sure each interview varies but, how long was yours?
M1keBones  
#172 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 7:23:03 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

timeline
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER

If you failed, they will let you know that you failed via email. Same thing if you pass (you get the conditional offer email). The wait sucks, but it most likely just means HQ is backed up and looking a bunch of applications. If you fail, you can re-take it in 6 months from the date you took your previous SUPER.

Washgirl0905  
#173 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 7:24:28 AM(UTC)
Washgirl0905

United States

Originally Posted by: Washgirl0905 Go to Quoted Post

Congrats... I finally got an email yesterday in reference to mine. I'm scheduled for 5/24. I'm sure each interview varies but, how long was yours?

Washgirl, how long did it take from when you passed the SAE to when they emailed you to schedule the SUPER?

I passed it on 4/22 and just got an email yesterday but, I had spoke with someone at the FO in Tallahassee and was informed that office is short on agents there that's why it took longer to get me scheduled. So it really just depends on the area you are in I suppose.
Rocket  
#174 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 11:59:34 AM(UTC)
Rocket

United States

Good luck!

My interview was about 2 hours, mainly due to conversations about what the job entailed
USSS
App 3/22/2021
SAEE (pass) 4/28/2021
SUPER 5/17/2021
Washgirl0905  
#175 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 12:05:36 PM(UTC)
Washgirl0905

United States

Good luck!

My interview was about 2 hours, mainly due to conversations about what the job entailed

Hey have you heard regarding your Super yet? I had mine yesterday, I felt pretty good about it. I definitely think I could have answered two questions slightly better but, Idk I guess I'll see.

Rocket  
#176 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2021 7:58:08 AM(UTC)
Rocket

United States

Good luck!

Hey have you heard regarding your Super yet? I had mine yesterday, I felt pretty good about it. I definitely think I could have answered two questions slightly better but, Idk I guess I'll see.

I haven’t heard anything yet. They did imply it would take a while in my interview
USSS
App 3/22/2021
SAEE (pass) 4/28/2021
SUPER 5/17/2021
Allsourceguy  
#177 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 5:01:57 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Quick question I saw the job posting has closed does this mean we are still in the process until they tell us otherwise?

been a month since my SUPER and I haven't heard anything.
M1keBones  
#178 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 5:19:15 PM(UTC)
M1keBones

Quick question I saw the job posting has closed does this mean we are still in the process until they tell us otherwise?

been a month since my SUPER and I haven't heard anything.

Yes, you're still in the process. Once they reach a certain number of applications, they close the announcement. However, another one usually opens almost immediately. The USSS needs agents like humans need oxygen. Don't sweat it.
thanks 1 user thanked M1keBones for this useful post.
Allsourceguy on 6/3/2021(UTC)
ItsShowtime  
#179 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 1:08:43 AM(UTC)
ItsShowtime

Anyone here that's going to be taking a pay cut?

My current gig offers near $150k in TX (which goes a long way than say CA or NY), and with the USSS starting pay, I'm looking at a $70k-$75k or so pay cut. I'm planning to be married soon and starting a family (that 1 year alone can be used towards college tuition, payment on a house, etc).

I've spoken to a few people who suggest that an experience with the USSS would be more rewarding than any corporate job can ever offer. I really want this job, but oof, that is a massive cut (it would be a life changing decision).

Just trying to see if others are in the same boat.
GH  
#180 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 11:19:12 AM(UTC)
GH

United States

Originally Posted by: GH Go to Quoted Post
Had my Super on Friday. Its up in the air about how I did, but we shall see soon.I will say that the agents were friendly and very informative which made me feel comfortable. Unlike what I was expecting.

Is anyone applying for any other positions? as much as I want to work for the Secret Service id like to have my eggs in more baskets just in case.

That's good to hear about the friendliness of the interview. I was recently in the FBI process but did not pass phase 2, that interview was not at all relaxed. I am still waiting on an SAEE invite (applied 4/14), my application status is that it's been referred to management but I'm confident I'll at least be invited to test.

An update for anyone interested in hearing people's different process experiences to get a feel for how their own may go. Got a call today to schedule SUPER (never got an email invite) - directly from one of the agents who will be conducting it, still haven't received the email confirmation (though not worried about that). They were very flexible with times, and could do it as early as 2 days from now. I opted to take more time than that to prepare. It seems like, based on what I've read in different forums as well as the way it was described to me, that the SUPER is relatively laid back compared to the FBI's phase 2, but I don't want to take it lightly especially considering I'm a CPA which I assume is atypical of most agents' backgrounds so I've got some convincing to do.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed