Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fedsoup6  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:46:00 AM(UTC)
fedsoup6

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Currently in 1102 series. Stuck as a GS11 Contract Admin DCMA in the west coast (lack of promo ops in the current office). Got a TO for a GS12/13 position in the east coast. Know nobody there. Having a hard time deciding if its worth taking the promo just to come back eventually to west coast within 2-3 years.

Another option is to leave feds, and start masters in STEM field (data), work in private until I burn, and maybe come back to feds later.

Just feel stuck and career/pay is slow.
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:48:50 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedsoup6 Go to Quoted Post
Currently in 1102 series. Stuck as a GS11 Contract Admin DCMA in the west coast (lack of promo ops in the current office). Got a TO for a GS12/13 position in the east coast. Know nobody there. Having a hard time deciding if its worth taking the promo just to come back eventually to west coast within 2-3 years.

Another option is to leave feds, and start masters in STEM field (data), work in private until I burn, and maybe come back to feds later.

I have relocated for a promotion and/or better opportunity several times, and have no regrets. If you want to move up or are not satisfied with current role, go for it.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
fedsoup6 on 6/11/2021(UTC)
RVRGRL  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:07:26 PM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
With one exception, I've always had to move to promote. Even the one in the same location was working in a completely different unit.
thanks 1 user thanked RVRGRL for this useful post.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 3:15:56 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1138 time(s) in 907 post(s)

I moved from SoCal to DC for a promotion to -13, and stayed for my next one (-14). If I could find (and get an offer on!) a -15 back in LA, I would think seriously about taking it (depends on the agency) as I loved being in that area.

As you see, sometimes if you want to move up, ya gotta move away from the area you are in (or sometimes, just the agency you are in).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
fedsoup6  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 4:58:15 AM(UTC)
fedsoup6

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

I moved from SoCal to DC for a promotion to -13, and stayed for my next one (-14). If I could find (and get an offer on!) a -15 back in LA, I would think seriously about taking it (depends on the agency) as I loved being in that area.

As you see, sometimes if you want to move up, ya gotta move away from the area you are in (or sometimes, just the agency you are in).

Thank you for your input. How long did it take for you to move up for each step at DC? Also, have you tried applying and moving back to LA and is it hard to come back?

Several Reservations I have:
- I only have today to respond to the TO. I guess I can accept it, but I'd like to avoid burning bridges if I don't end up taking the FO (is this a major deal or not?).
- I don't know anyone in that new location and I at least want to fly there to see if its somewhere I would live. Planning to ask HR today about the address. Should I call up the hiring official (director or SA) to gauge how the team is like and people I will be working with/duties? (or do I sound too worried/not self-confident?)
- Personal reasons- i.e. have to uproot from my house here, leave family/friends, end my relationship (30s), and give up grad school offer.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 7:11:00 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1138 time(s) in 907 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for your input. How long did it take for you to move up for each step at DC? Also, have you tried applying and moving back to LA and is it hard to come back?

Several Reservations I have:
- I only have today to respond to the TO. I guess I can accept it, but I'd like to avoid burning bridges if I don't end up taking the FO (is this a major deal or not?).
- I don't know anyone in that new location and I at least want to fly there to see if its somewhere I would live. Planning to ask HR today about the address. Should I call up the hiring official (director or SA) to gauge how the team is like and people I will be working with/duties? (or do I sound too worried/not self-confident?)
- Personal reasons- i.e. have to uproot from my house here, leave family/friends, end my relationship (30s), and give up grad school offer.
Unless you are absolutely certain you won't take the position, always accept the TO. You can always reject the FO with a "unfortunately, my circumstances have changed and I regretfully have to decline at this time. Please consider me in the future when my situation has changed." Use the time from the accepting the TO to ask the questions of talking to the new team, etc. If you would be working in DC, where to live depends on a lot of factors (how much do you want to pay/how much a commute/how much space you want),

I moved from GG12 in LA to GS13 in DC. 2 years later, made a lateral move up the chain of command (sounds weird..I went from a local manager to becoming my regional boss' deputy...I figured I was doing it in an acting capacity most of the time any way, may as well get the permanent title), and then about 18 months later, my current GS14 position. The speed was close to when I decided to actually apply for positions. But I'm picky, and while I have applied for a few GS15 positions, I'm not in a hurry to get one after being a -14 for just over 4 years...just depends on the position and agency.

As for going back to the LA area,...I'm picky. I won't take a lateral, and won't take just any GS15 to get back there. The only position in my current agency in that area is in Palmdale, and the incumbent isn't going to retire any time soon...so...I'm looking here in DC.

Only you can determine what is important to you. End a relationship though? Plenty of people make it work (if the relationship is strong enough). As for the other issues...only you can say if they are stoppers or not.

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2021 7:12:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
0018 Hopeful  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 12:04:06 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

I have relocated for a promotion and/or better opportunity several times, and have no regrets. If you want to move up or are not satisfied with current role, go for it.

Me too, only way I got to be a GS-13.

Move for opportunity, those that don't move rely on their skills and nepotism.
teej  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 7:28:44 AM(UTC)
teej

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We (i include my family of 4) took a huge leap for a promotion out of a dead end GS11 on the east coast and moved all the way to Hawaii. Sold everything, including the house, except what would fit in 3 suit cases each and mailed about 10 boxes to ourselves. Shipped two vehicles. Broke even on the relocation bonus ($10k less HI's taxes = $6k) after shipping everything and airline tickets.

Fast forward 30 months from leaving for Hawaii, we are now back on the east coast as a GS13 and interviewing for GS14s.

Was it daunting, yes.
Was it stressful, yes.
Did i burn bridges anywhere, no.
Did it provide broadening opportunities, YES.
Was it worth it for us, yes.

Id suggest a pros and cons list for both short term and long term goals and circumstances, and exclude emotions. Weight them then see which is best, especially if you are set on going to back to west coast, as there may not be anything to come back to at the higher grade, or even the lower grade. Thats the variable, i think, that is the major unknown and is difficult to include in the decision making.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed