Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cheesefan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 4:39:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
After almost 2 years, I finally got my approval. How long before I and HR receive the approval letter? I thought it was suppose to come quick, but it's been a more then a week.
StB  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:14:42 AM(UTC)
StB

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I received my Blue Book 10 days after I saw I could generate a new one online. It was also about a week after I received my back pay.
We are all made up of stardust 💫
cheesefan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:48:29 AM(UTC)

Thank you, I will be more patient! Heck, after all the waiting i've done, whats afew more days right?!?!?!?
I don't have access to the online site yet either, even though I have a CSA number.

im still working, trying to figure out when my last day will be. I was told it could have been last friday before last, as it was the last day in the pay period. However, that didn't happen. Just waiting day by day now I guess
Robertee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 2:40:57 PM(UTC)
Robertee

Is two years a normal time to wait?
Wonder Woman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 4:02:07 PM(UTC)
Wonder Woman

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
No, not typical. But really depends on your case and situation.
cheesefan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2021 7:50:47 AM(UTC)

I would hope that 2 years is NOT the norm. I have to put together my timeline for reference.

One of the reasons mine took so long was my lawyer kept requesting more and more documents. When I got my first denial we did another exentison to get more paperwork. Then it got denied again. Another exentison. Then it went to MSPB. Then my lawyer quit, had to go to MSPB alone. A week prior to my final hearing, I submitted additional medical evidence (which my lawyer must not have done despite all the resubmissions). One day prior to my hearing, OPM reversed the denials and approved me. Go figure.
curt  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 8:00:41 PM(UTC)
curt

United States

Hi Cheesefan,

I have asked his before (for my own benefit), but how was it you kept working while processing your claim? My agency said the day I submit the claim I would be let go, because I could no longer fulfill the position. I have not bee able to find anywhere that says any different? I am hoping you have a reference in the OPM oracle, that would allow me to keep working while I submit my claim.

Thanks in advance and congrats!!!

Curt
Wonder Woman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 9:10:37 PM(UTC)
Wonder Woman

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There's nothing that prohibits you from working. A disability retirement application does not mean you are separated, but the expectation is that you separate once approved.

It might work to your advantage if the Agency works to remove you for medical inability. But it's not "easy" for them to just let you go. Filing a disability retirement application is not a legitimate reason to terminate you.
thanks 1 user thanked Wonder Woman for this useful post.
curt on 6/9/2021(UTC)
cheesefan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 8:04:27 AM(UTC)

Curt,

I was denied my social security benefits (which is a step in applying for disability retirement) because I made to much money (I was/am still working).

I got a lawyer from day 1 and working was actually encouraged because there are complications if I was to leave before the approval, such as getting supervisor statements, losing the health insurance and so forth. I would hope that your agency wouldn't let you go just for filing. That seems odd! But like wonder woman says, it could be to your advantage.

I finally got my letter sometime last week, my agency claims they have not recieved it yet, so I am still waiting for my final reporting date. The approval was over 3 weeks ago, and its just werid I am still working.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
curt on 6/9/2021(UTC)
TheRealOrange  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 8:27:56 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cheesefan Go to Quoted Post
I was denied my social security benefits (which is a step in applying for disability retirement) because I made to much money (I was/am still working).

Just for clarity in case there is any confusion, approval of Social Security Disability benefits is not a prerequisite to being approved for a federal disability retirement. Rather, the requirement is that one must apply for Social Security Disability benefits when applying for a federal disability retirement. Neither approval/denial is dependent on the other, and they have totally different standards.
thanks 2 users thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
curt on 6/9/2021(UTC), cheesefan on 6/11/2021(UTC)
curt  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 9:39:44 AM(UTC)
curt

United States

Thanks for all the replies. Some background, I am a deployable civilian, so I could get tasked anytime to deploy to an austere location. I had my hip replaced, and bad knees, so I cant wear the battle gear. So long story short, is I cannot fulfill my mobility essential elements. I am able to do my job daily with no limitations, except for the mobility. When I brought it up, they said well if you cannot fulfill your mobility tasks, then you cannot fill the position period. So that's why the basically said if I submit my disability application, I no longer can fill the essential elements, so they can terminate me. I totally understand their position, if I cant fulfill those tasks, I don't want another one my team have to continually go on those deployments and I sit back home.
So whenever I see someone say they were able to work until the disability is approved, that's why I ask if there was something that states (at the OPM level) that I can still work while going through the process. So as it stands right now I am working, but the second I get the call to deploy I will have to take a physical and then fail it, and since my ailments are permanent, my only recourse is disability.

Am I lookin at this the wrong way?

Curt
cheesefan  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 8:24:07 AM(UTC)

Curt,

I am not sure about that. Have you considered looking into getting a lawyer? They might have some ideas, sometimes the consulation is free.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
curt on 6/14/2021(UTC)
Trey  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 3:33:58 PM(UTC)
Trey

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curt Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cheesefan,

I have asked his before (for my own benefit), but how was it you kept working while processing your claim? My agency said the day I submit the claim I would be let go, because I could no longer fulfill the position. I have not bee able to find anywhere that says any different? I am hoping you have a reference in the OPM oracle, that would allow me to keep working while I submit my claim.

Thanks in advance and congrats!!!

Curt

I think it’s dependent upon the organization. I went on FMLA leave back in November 2020. I submitted my FERs disability application in December 2020. After my FMLA ran out, one of my doctor’s wrote me a letter stating I could not return to work in any capacity due to debilitating medical conditions. Also, she stated in the same letter she will advocate on my behalf for total disability.

After that letter from my medical provider, my agency moved to separate me under “Medical Inability,” but I negotiated with them to let me use my leave while awaiting approval of my disability application. The agency had me sign an agreement stating I would not contest the medical removal after my leave ran out. That is, if my leave is exhausted prior to my FERs application being approved.

You can request all of the above, but it’s totally up to the agency. Get your Union involved with the negotiations. Best of luck.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains and is immortal." ~ Albert Pine
thanks 1 user thanked Trey for this useful post.
curt on 6/14/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed