Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wrestlingshadows81  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 9:17:15 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I am a GS-11 and my wife recently also became a GS-11 federal employee. Is there a for one of us to receive an overseas assignment and one of us also get slotted for a position at the same installation? Or is the only thing we can do is apply regularly, one of us gets a position, we move, and one of us gives up the position temporarily until a position at the overseas assignment opens up?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 11:03:15 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wrestlingshadows81 Go to Quoted Post
So I am a GS-11 and my wife recently also became a GS-11 federal employee. Is there a for one of us to receive an overseas assignment and one of us also get slotted for a position at the same installation? Or is the only thing we can do is apply regularly, one of us gets a position, we move, and one of us gives up the position temporarily until a position at the overseas assignment opens up?

No. I am pretty sure I have seen a spouse hired surprisingly soon after a primary, but never in a coordinate manner.

Depending on the positions that you and your spouse are interested, try to find locations where you can both apply at same time. This would be the ideal, if you were both able to secure your own offer.

One thing with the idea of one of you giving up the position to follow… even if that person is selected for a position once overseas, they aren’t going to have return rights, and likely won’t be eligible for PPP at end of tour. It is also sometimes difficult for spouses to get employment overseas, depending on location and skillset, so you should be prepared for possibility for the following party not finding a job.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
FatHappyCat  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:20:13 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 120 post(s)
...and one of us gives up the position temporarily until a position at the overseas assignment opens up?

Just to be clear since I may be reading this wrong, but whoever becomes the dependent doesn't give up the position temporarily; they have to resign.
RVRGRL  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:04:14 PM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
...and one of us gives up the position temporarily until a position at the overseas assignment opens up?

There may be an option (for the one who ends up the dependent) to take LWOP for a period of time in order to help with transition until they get their own fed job.

I also know of several couples that have either both gotten their own job offers OCONUS in a short period of time, or have had one become a dependent until arrival and eventually found a fed job.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed