Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

46 Pages«<1920212223>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#401 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 12:10:10 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mschilli1977 Go to Quoted Post
Tell the truth! You get 2 cases for every one you close 🤣

3. But I didn’t want to discourage them. I need someone to take up the slack.

20% or this job is managing your calendar. 5% is controlling yourself in meetings and not screaming ‘read the G-ODDAMN irm.

15% is knowing what envelopes to put things in.

15% field time…. Thank god for that.

45% staring at a computer screen typing.

Edited by user Thursday, June 10, 2021 12:15:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TDnike2189  
#402 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 1:23:22 PM(UTC)
TDnike2189

I was referred for best qualified for New York and the Bronx. I haven't heard anything at all though for an interview. Should I start to move on? Is there anywhere I can get more information on the status?

Thank you for the help
Foggy  
#403 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 4:55:48 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Got an offer today as an external. So check your email/ spam folders. It came thru in two separate emails not a phone call.
brian76  
#404 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:01:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Foggy Go to Quoted Post
Got an offer today as an external. So check your email/ spam folders. It came thru in two separate emails not a phone call.

Congrats Foggy!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Foggy on 6/10/2021(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0  
#405 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:50:10 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Nice congrats. What location and when did you interview?
thanks 1 user thanked AllHailTheDead0 for this useful post.
Foggy on 6/10/2021(UTC)
Foggy  
#406 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:27:20 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post

Nice congrats. What location and when did you interview?

Thank you! Houston, about 3 weeks ago.
financegirl1  
#407 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 9:33:50 AM(UTC)
financegirl1

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Have any internals had success in negotiating a higher step in salary when changing positions?
Papoose79  
#408 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 12:24:43 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: financegirl1 Go to Quoted Post
Have any internals had success in negotiating a higher step in salary when changing positions?

I am going in as a 9/2 with hopes of being able to get GS11 before my next step increase. I am not changing locations. I met with my manager today and hopefully I can make GS11 in 9 months. 😆
scottyd27  
#409 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 12:46:01 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post

I am going in as a 9/2 with hopes of being able to get GS11 before my next step increase. I am not changing locations. I met with my manager today and hopefully I can make GS11 in 9 months. 😆

Just remember GS11 is journey level. While the extra pay is nice. Once you’re a GS11 you are expected to preform as a GS11.

You’re missing out on some case experience that is pretty valuable.
Papoose79  
#410 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 2:29:40 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Just remember GS11 is journey level. While the extra pay is nice. Once you’re a GS11 you are expected to preform as a GS11.

Understood! I'm told GS9 starting put with 10 cases for phase 1. Then they're adding and additional 10 sometime during phase 2 or 3; however we're expected to be at about 69 cases by the time I reach GS11.

I think I will be up for it since I have worked caseload of 90 to 120 with weekly client contact on a start up project. Yes there was no plan for us on that one! 😆
scottyd27  
#411 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 2:32:26 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Understood! I'm told GS9 starting put with 10 cases for phase 1. Then they're adding and additional 10 sometime during phase 2 or 3; however we're expected to be at about 69 cases by the time I reach GS11.

I think I will be up for it since I have worked caseload of 90 to 120 with weekly client contact on a start up project. Yes there was no plan for us on that one! 😆

I don’t know what you do for the service now. But the RO job is the hardest job in the service.

Maybe 69 cases doesn’t sound like a lot. But when you’re doing 7 summons a week, multiple initial analysis, meetings, emails, workshops collateral duties. You might think different
Foggy  
#412 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 2:48:58 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

I'm hoping to come in as a 9/10 to match current salary, but as an external.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#413 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 6:23:24 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)

I don’t know what you do for the service now. But the RO job is the hardest job in the service.

Maybe 69 cases doesn’t sound like a lot. But when you’re doing 7 summons a week, multiple initial analysis, meetings, emails, workshops collateral duties. You might think different

Scotty is right. Time management is the key to this job so enjoy the training year while you can. Once you are on your own and at journey level, they expect you to perform at a GS 11 which is difficult with less experience, but not impossible. Every day is different. I’ve had days where I planned on doing certain tasks and my day totally changed because of certain business I needed to get done that day because time was of the essence. The key here is figuring out how you are going to get the other things that have deadlines done too. Some days your phone will be ringing non stop and you have a bunch of other tasks you need to complete. It’s a demanding but great and rewarding job if you ask me. You learn something new all the time too; you will never stop learning! Just make sure you learn time management first and foremost and be ready for anything each day! Good luck everyone, we definitely need as many RO’s as possible!
scottyd27  
#414 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 7:20:09 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Scotty is right. Time management is the key to this job so enjoy the training year while you can. Once you are on your own and at journey level, they expect you to perform at a GS 11 which is difficult with less experience, but not impossible. Every day is different. I’ve had days where I planned on doing certain tasks and my day totally changed because of certain business I needed to get done that day because time was of the essence. The key here is figuring out how you are going to get the other things that have deadlines done too. Some days your phone will be ringing non stop and you have a bunch of other tasks you need to complete. It’s a demanding but great and rewarding job if you ask me. You learn something new all the time too; you will never stop learning! Just make sure you learn time management first and foremost and be ready for anything each day! Good luck everyone, we definitely need as many RO’s as possible!

You mean like you GM dropping a case in your inventory with 10 days left on an ASED and telling you to fix it?
scottyd27  
#415 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 7:22:22 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

You are right FED.

Managing your calendar is the trickiest part of your job.

And honestly I seldom answer my phone. I return calls.

I won’t stop what I’m doing to answer the phone.
Red  
#416 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 7:25:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Seeker- you and Scotty are right- it is a tough job. You guys are where the rubber meets the road, as far as the service is concerned, although it seems the service often forgets you are there. I knew special agents who would not make it as ROs. Imagine a job where you have to be part skip tracer, process server, financial investigator, debt collector, and repo man. Knocking on doors, demanding payment, while unarmed. I knew cops who said they would take that job. You are the one they call when the rest can't get it done. Back in the day- before RRA98- IRS had more assaults and threats than any other federal agency- and most of those were ROs making seizures. And yet the public thinks all IRS employees are auditors!
Riverside  
#417 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 8:30:02 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
Seeker- you and Scotty are right- it is a tough job. You guys are where the rubber meets the road, as far as the service is concerned, although it seems the service often forgets you are there. I knew special agents who would not make it as ROs. Imagine a job where you have to be part skip tracer, process server, financial investigator, debt collector, and repo man. Knocking on doors, demanding payment, while unarmed. I knew cops who said they would take that job. You are the one they call when the rest can't get it done. Back in the day- before RRA98- IRS had more assaults and threats than any other federal agency- and most of those were ROs making seizures. And yet the public thinks all IRS employees are auditors!

Wonder if we lost half the applicants on the board yet?? :-))
Nick777  
#418 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 8:51:50 PM(UTC)
Nick777

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I'm hoping to come in as a 9/10 to match current salary, but as an external.

Congratulations on your offer!

I just applied myself for Houston,TX on the announcement that is still open.

Are you a Veteran?

Do you know if they're going to continue hiring for Houston or they are pretty much done?

Thx!

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2021 8:52:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Nick777 for this useful post.
Foggy on 6/12/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#419 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 8:53:07 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post

We still get plenty of threats. I’ve been threatened many times. Although I’m not easily intimidated.

But I love the job. I’m good at it and it’s almost like I was built to do this job.
Red  
#420 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 9:29:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Correction- I meant to say, I knew cops who would NOT take that job. A police detective I was working with told me he wanted to become an RO after he retired from the PD. He asked what type gun the ROs carry. When I told him none- he said no way! His buddy said "you'd be nuts to do that job unarmed." To be fair, this was at a time and place where we had sovereign citizens and other protest groups who were fighting with us. I think a lot of them have gone underground and are not as vocal now.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed